AV-Comparatives Performance Test October 2022

Disclaimer
  1. This test shows how an antivirus behaves with certain threats, in a specific environment and under certain conditions.
    We encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
    Before buying an antivirus you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

amico81

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
here is the new performance test : Source

1667914102863.png

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
MS Defender is always among the slowest performance, yet I have run it recently, and for me it just doesn't seem that slow. I normally run ESET as it is always among the fastest. Perhaps the difference between the fastest and slowest is not that much in milliseconds?

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
MS Defender is always among the slowest performance, yet I have run it recently, and for me it just doesn't seem that slow. I normally run ESET as it is always among the fastest. Perhaps the difference between the fastest and slowest is not that much in milliseconds?
It depends on your hardware. On slower PCs I find that some antiviruses cause very noticeable slowdowns.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
It depends on your hardware. On slower PCs I find that some antiviruses cause very noticeable slowdowns.
What activity you're performing likely plays a major role too. As the report states, Defender showed little to no difference performance-wise when compared to other AVs when browsing websites, downloading files and launching applications, but showed severe performance degradation when installing, copying and (un)archiving.

Oldie1950

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2022
I do hope so!

Over recent years, "big K" has always tested-out as a top-notch AV. I often wanted to use big K but, in my trials of big K's prior versions, they always brought my laptop to its knees. Once the world situation settles down again (if it ever does) I might give big K another trial.
Kaspersky no longer offers a VPN in Russia. Who might have caused this? So much for Kaspersky's alleged independence from the Russian government. Kaspersky is therefore no longer an alternative for me.

bellgamin

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2016
Independence from government does not mean that big K is independent from obeying its laws & security mandates. The situation there is a disastrous bloody cesspool of a mess. It is impossible to know --- at this time (if ever) --- whether big K is a participant in that mess, or one of its victims.

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
Kaspersky faster than ESET?!
I was thinking the same. First I was thinking the same as Roger say, that it was dependent on the hardware. But I have tried both on my new computer with a pretty strong hardware config, and Eset was fastest both there, and on my old computer that was slower. I don't know how much I trust that test. :unsure:

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
I used a free version of Novabench to test the system without testing the GPU, no other programs running, default settings, three times. The results (the higher the better):

Windows Security: 859, 853, 854 - ave: 855

Avast Free: 868, 873, 851 - ave: 864

KSC Free: 866, 871, 870 - ave: 867

It looks like the last two have similar performances, but browsing feels faster for the latter.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.