Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Hi,

I posted in the Microsoft Edge thread a tweak to personalize Edge build in tracking protection by ading domains to the OTHER file in the Trust Protection List folder. In that thread I also read a post from another member asking others to confirm this, because it did not work for that member.

Today I checked and it still seems to work. I now added detailed pictures to make it easier to apply.

I can only think of three reasons it is not working:
1. An update replaced the OTHER file with default settings (Microsoft did not design this OTHER file to be tweaked by end users)
2. You need to set Edge tracking protection to strict
3. The domain entered is on Edge Tracking Protection internal whitelist

1. Dealing with updates overwriting your settings

After Major updates the OTHER file is sometimes reset, therefor I edit an identical file in a higher folder and copy it to the
[USER NAME] > AppData > Local > Microsoft > Edge > USer Data > Trust Protection Lists > 1.0.0.13
1598106240964.png

2 For me this only works when setting Edge trackong protection to STRICT (strikt in Dutch)
1598105791604.png

3. Not blocked when on the internal whitelist
Microsoft Anti-Tracking also has a build-in whitelist, so please try two or three domains, because you might be unlucky to add a whitelisted domain.

MY TEST TO CHECK WHETHER IT IS STILL WORKING

Navigate with explorer to build in block lists of Microsoft Egde in YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Trust Protection Lists\1.0.0.13 and edit the OTHER file with Notepad. Add some domains (add an / after the domain as illustrated below).

1598106543365.png

Before and after tweak of NOS.NL looks like it seems to work (left is before tweak, right is after tweak)
1598106677500.png

A second check on NU.NL seems to confirm it works (left is before tweak, right is after tweak)
1598106728747.png

Also in Edge Tracking Statistics these websites now show up
1598106875088.png

RE: uMatrix - for me the benefit of uMatrix running with no blocklists and Matrix-engine disabled (Matrix-off: * true) is that it uses very little CPU processing time and still provides me a look under the hood when visiting websites. I run uMatrix in safe-hard mode (block all except CSS, images and media) and occasionally enable it on demand by clicking on the ON/OFF switch
1598108996393.png

Last edited:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
@security123,

You informed me about NextDNS, thanks for that. I only use its DNS servers, without the software.

I really like your idea of combining the anti-tracking of the browser with the blocking capacity at the DNS. Using the DNS is the most efficient filtering possible, because it does not use any CPU power of your device, especially when the DNS offers the option to configure what blocklists to use.

May I ask you to post a how-to thread (like this Edge-tweak with print screen images) on how to get the most out of Next DNS?

regards Lenny

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

May I ask you to post a how-to thread (like this Edge-tweak with print screen images) on how to get the most out of Next DNS?
Done:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
:) I like the name Beer Is Good. When my girlfriend changes the marine calendar (in which my elder brother features), I used to place a post-it over the six-pack guys with the text "BBBB" meaning Beer Builds Better Bodies. Remember I got a fitness subscription for my birthday from her. Due to Corona, I could not use that and in stead started jogging in a small nature reserve. When I lost six kilo, she gave me a T-shirt with the text "2 cans short of a 6-pack".

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

:) I like the name Beer Is Good. When my girlfriend changes the marine calendar (in which my elder brother features), I used to place a post-it over the six-pack guys with the text "BBBB" meaning Beer Builds Better Bodies. Remember I got a fitness subscription for my birthday from her. Due to Corona, I could not use that and in stead started jogging in a small nature reserve. When I lost six kilo, she gave me a T-shirt with the text "2 cans short of a 6-pack".
Thanks i like it too ;)

Good girlfriend and nice action with "BBB". :emoji_beer:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Thanks i like it too ;)

Good girlfriend and nice action with "BBB". :emoji_beer:

I thought Kees1958 had given that name, but surfing to GitHub I foynd out that 'beerisgood' is the name of one of the contributors of Kees1958 lists. Beer is good is from Germany and Security123 is from Germany, so a small 1 out of 80 million chance you are the same person. The wink in your post with the "Thanks I like that to" does increase the probablility that Beerisgood and Security123 are the same person. Is my guess right?

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Only if you need blocking elements but I recommend AdGuard extension for that.

The loggers of Adguard and uBo are both good and easy to use. The element blocker of Adguard is a little easier to use (it was a lot, but element picker/zapper were recently improved). In the past I favoured Adguard for its much better element blocker, but i now use a sort of two step website stripping/cleaning
1. First step is blocking domains using dynamic uBo rules (with only 1 blocklist of Kees1958)
2. Second step is adding these domain (with an \ at the end) to Edge OTHER blocklist.

I also use uBO on demand (adding a bad behaving website to the domains on which uBO is allowed to run)
1601905107283.png

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
The loggers of Adguard and uBo are both good and easy to use. The element blocker of Adguard is a little easier to use (it was a lot, but element picker/zapper were recently improved). In the past I favoured Adguard for its much better element blocker, but i now use a sort of two step website stripping/cleaning
1. First step is blocking domains using dynamic uBo rules (with only 1 blocklist of Kees1958)
2. Second step is adding these domain (with an \ at the end) to Edge OTHER blocklist.

I also use uBO on demand (adding a bad behaving website to the domains on which uBO is allowed to run)

Interesting. It'll take a little to convince myself to move over instead of my more complex uBO medium mode but maybe what I need is more the cosmetic filter to ditch those ads placeholders and video pop-ups you get here and there.

Adguard is fine but I prefer the feel of uBO and adguard slowed down browsing for me but keeping options open. It's less of a default deny compared to UBO M.Mode.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.