Personalize Edge built-in Tracking Protection with this tweak

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
I use Next-DNS without filters, just let Edge anti-tracking do the heavy lifting.

I use uBO on demand as testground for adding domains to Edge anti-tracking and for websites which also need more complex ABP rules to filter out nuisances.

It is only one right click to enable uBO by allowing acces to that domain.

Remember I did digital marketing bachelor , so I am also interested to have look under the hood of a website (and lowering the data trace on me a little at the same time)

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

So why then using NextDNS at all if you doesn't user their filter?

Also in browser console you can see which connections are established on opened site. Blocked sites are listed too.
Online services like Webbkoll list that also too.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

A user on GitHub post interesting stuff:
It is possible to block only storage access on Edge instead of blocking both storage access and resource loads. To do so would require the user to manually add the domain to the Content file.

It would be too cumbersome having a separate list solely for this Content file and having to update it along with the Other file. Therefore it is best to just remove problematic domains like this one from the Edge Blocklist altogether.

What did you think @Lenny_Fox ?

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
@security123

It is mentioned here (link), see pic below
1606688290091.png

But when I check all locations mentioned in the documentation (link) the format is like you use in EU_US_most common (ending with /)
so I have no idea how to differentiate this using the blocklist mentioned in the locations below (see pic)
1606688442365.png

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
But when I check all locations mentioned in the documentation (link) the format is like you use in EU_US_most common (ending with /)
so I have no idea how to differentiate this using the blocklist mentioned in the locations below (see pic)
That, plus I wonder why TPL are in two locations? What is the purpose of each and what distinguishes them from each other?🤔

Still no way to add the BeerIsGood list where it isn't overwritten?:unsure:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
@oldschool,

Your remark (why 2 locations) triggered me to check date stamp and I was surprised
1606718994106.png

That is strange, then I remembered, after last @security123 post that it was overwritten to often, I tried something out
1606719875078.png

@security123 and @oldschool could you also try to make your other list read-only and see how this pans out?

Last edited:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
@security123

I wanted to try your BeerIsGood Edge blocklist and noticed it has a warning to use another version. So when I understand correctly you removed the domains which are already covered by the default lists (Advertising, Analytics, etc). I like less is more, so I will use 'EU US most commen ads & trackers EDGE format'

1606738387009.png

I dropped my scepticism regarding the fact that only two people maintained this list. Issues are usually solved within one day and over 300 commits since september 2019 shows that it is actively maintained. Trusting the list is matured (minimal website breakage), I will start using your list today. :giggle:

Iedereen = Everyone
1606740824779.png

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
@security123

I wanted to try your BeerIsGood Edge blocklist and noticed it has a warning to use another version. So when I understand correctly you removed the domains which are already covered by the default lists (Advertising, Analytics, etc). I like less is more, so I will use 'EU US most commen ads & trackers EDGE format'

I dropped my scepticism regarding the fact that only two people maintained this list. Issues are usually solved within one day and over 300 commits since september 2019 shows that it is actively maintained. Trusting the list is matured (minimal website breakage), I will start using your list today. :giggle:

Iedereen = Everyone
View attachment 250066
I could use a bit of help setting this permission. I get part of the way and then face uncertainty how to complete. Please advise. TIA!

Reactions: Protomartyr

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I did this ...
That is strange, then I remembered, after last @security123 post that it was overwritten to often, I tried something out
1606719875078.png
@security123 and @oldschool could you also try to make your other list read-only and see how this pans out?
... but not the "extra protection" as I need advice.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

@security123

Yeah Kees move my list to HOSTS format with improvements (y)

Thanks!

Doesn't block that you from a modification e.g. updating too?

Also now 3 versions of W3C_annual_most_used_survey_blocklist exists:
ABP format (for browser adblocker like AdGuard)
Edge format (should be clear^^)
HOST format (for e.g. DNS)

Have fun and feedback appreciated

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
@Lenny_Fox Is Edge's built tracking protection faster than adblockers? Any way to measure the performance?
I really don't know. In the past javascript (adblock extension) was much slower than compiled code (build in adblocker), nowadays processing speed differences are minimal.

Looking at the documentation it seems that both sources and browser data (e.g. cookies etc) can be blocked by Edge build in adblocker, making it look more like uMatrix than uBlock.

So with lesser number of rules (less data), slight faster code and simpler rule structure I would guess Edge build in adblocker is a little faster than uBlock.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.