Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Homepage: Don’t kill my app!
Get App: DontKillMyApp ✌️ Make apps work - Apps on Google Play

Different manufacturers all think they have great ideas when it comes to stretching out battery life. Usually, they do it by aggressively killing apps in the background, which can break app functionality. Urbandroid even made a site called DontKillMyApp to track and shame the worst offenders and point out how to fix these issues on different phones (if you even can). Now Urbandroid is making a new benchmarking tool to measure your own phone's background apps performance.

Via Android Police - DontKillMyApp is a new benchmark for how aggressively your phone kills background apps

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
WoW really surprised how awfully aggressive One plus is. No wonder everyone raves about their battery life but by being such aggressive simply anybody can achieve that.
Huawei is similar to One Plus but its EMUI is definitely far worse. Never liked it and simply hate them since they stopped methods of unlocking bootloader. Now one has to spend $60 to do so. Rubbish. I'll never purchase a Huawei device for my own use.
Samsung, Xiaomi isn't very good here either but Xiaomi at least include larger batteries on most of their phones.
This is bound to happen as smartphone manufactures starts putting unnecessarily higher resolution displays (No one needs a 2K/4K display on their 6" phones) on their phones so in order to counter that for better battery life they do this now.
At this point nothing beats Google Pixel except their terrible hardware design.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
IN THE NEWS - RELATED
While Google has made some significant changes to its mobile OS to improve things (with success, I'd argue), many popular smartphone makers still feel the need to take further steps to enhance longevity — and it's coming at a cost. Many go above and beyond the battery life enhancements featured in so-called "stock" Android, and frequently these alterations cause problems, resulting in issues ranging from delayed notifications, to prematurely killed apps, and even outright breaking behaviors that developers rely on. In fact, the lack of predictability that has ensued under the current laissez-faire power management scheme has become so dire that it recently took the top spot in a developer AMA request thread for Android 11 on reddit. Ultimately, this results in an inconsistent experience for both app-makers and end-users like you and me, and Google needs to put its foot down.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
what specific? I own a Pixel 3a and compared to my older OnePlus 2 i'm more happy with the Google one
Designs comes to personal preference. Like you like your Pixel 3a's design but I don't like that huge chin at the bottom. With bigger chin like that I would very much prefer capacitive buttons instead on screen to make full use use of the screen like older phones eg: your OnePlus 2. Also other Pixel phones aren't very appealing design wise either. But since we're talking about software here in this thread, Google's stock Android with faster updates is what I prefer the most and that is one of the reason I would like to own a pixel phone in the future.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
IN THE NEWS - RELATED
It's important to note that the restrictions only affect exposure notifications, not tracing itself.
[..] many Samsung and Huawei phones weren't receiving COVID-19 exposure notifications on time or at all, unless users manually opened the app. That's significant, as Samsung and Huawei make up more than half of Germany's smartphone market.

Reactions: harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.