Troubleshoot Photos app crashing on Windows 10 1909

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Hi, I recently did a clean installation of 1909 64bit Pro.
Photos app crashing oftentimes.
I have ESET Internet Security.

It never happened before.
Photos app is my default photo viewer app.
Wondering Shutup10's app setting might cause this, but I doubt it.

My settings for Apps in Shutup10 are these below in this screenshot:
1596630815931.png

I forgot to mention that sometimes when I want to open an image, it crashes, then I close it, and then I open the same image, and it doesn't crash!

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
It should be pre-installed by default, if not, try to install it.

Upvote 0

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Indeed. By the way, are you only singed into the Store, or do you have Microsoft account on your machine?

Reactions: show-Zi
Upvote 0

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Upvote 0

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Thanks, Gandalf_The_Grey. For me, too little too late but it's welcome news nonetheless.

I've reset and repaired the Photos app multiple times. I was also experiencing system file corruption out of the blue, no clue as to how or why. Likely the two issues are concurrent.

Running v.2009 for the past week, no Photos problems, no Store issues, no longstanding disk bugs, no need for sfc /scannow to repair anything (yet). :whistle::coffee:(y)

Upvote 0

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Thanks, Gandalf_The_Grey. For me, too little too late but it's welcome news nonetheless.

I've reset and repaired the Photos app multiple times. I was also experiencing system file corruption out of the blue, no clue as to how or why. Likely the two issues are concurrent.

Running v.2009 for the past week, no Photos problems, no Store issues, no longstanding disk bugs, no need for sfc /scannow to repair anything (yet). :whistle::coffee:(y)
Yep, also very pleased with 2009 here.

Upvote 0

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Microsoft fixes Windows 10 Photos App Crashes w/ new Update:
Back in July, we reported Photos App on Windows 10 is crashing like hell whenever you try to open an image. The affected app version caused the issue was 2020.20070.1002.0. Today, on September 20, the Photos app received a much-needed update that jumps version number to 2020.20090.1002.0 and it may have come with a crash fix and other improvements as it is working surprisingly fine for us without any issue. The app is now launching much faster than before.

Upvote 0

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
The problem is that there is a problem with the app.
I remember that there were no such problems with the Painter and Photo-viewer that came with it in the past.
The store should have had the advantage of making it easier to manage updates for each app, but it's too late.

Reactions: roger_m and amirr
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.