Troubleshoot Photos app crashing on Windows 10 1909

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Hi, I recently did a clean installation of 1909 64bit Pro.
Photos app crashing oftentimes.
I have ESET Internet Security.

It never happened before.
Photos app is my default photo viewer app.
Wondering Shutup10's app setting might cause this, but I doubt it.

My settings for Apps in Shutup10 are these below in this screenshot:
1596630815931.png

I forgot to mention that sometimes when I want to open an image, it crashes, then I close it, and then I open the same image, and it doesn't crash!

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Photo app run always without problems for me. With 1909 as well as with 2004 now.
Revert your "privacy" settings and if that doesn't help, try disable Eset.

The photo app run as AppContainer so it's much safer then any other picture program listed here.
What about a paid app like Snagit, that has a photo editor/viewer?

• +Reputation
Reactions: upnorth
Upvote 0

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
This is a topic I hear a lot recently. Probably caused by an app update around late July. In my case, I reset the settings and the problem went away.
I did the reset, it worked, but the crash came back again. For now, I use my paid Snagit program.

Reactions: show-Zi
Upvote 0

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
This is a topic I hear a lot recently. Probably caused by an app update around late July. In my case, I reset the settings and the problem went away.
Thank you so much for the info. I agree with you. I will wait for the next updates and see if its resolved or not.

Reactions: show-Zi
Upvote 0

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
Photos app is the first app I uninstall after clean installation of Windows 10. ImageGlass is better alternative. It's free, open source and simple to use.
Very nice program, just tested it out. About as fast as Honeyview or faster!

Another light and fast alternative:
The old school stand by! I still use it for simple editing and cropping.

Upvote 0

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
The bug appears to be part of the Photos app version 2020.20070.10002.0, which is available right now from the Microsoft Store. Users who turned to the WWW to report the problem all point to the same behavior: the Photos app tries to launch, but instead of showing the actual image, it freezes with a white screen and nothing more.

P.S.: I do not have such a problem on any PC. I guess clearing some caches, using wsreset tool and such probably solves this?

Upvote 0

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
It's already a solved topic, but I think that there are people who suffer from similar problems, so I will post it.
First reset the settings. Create an album automatically → Try turning it off. If that doesn't fix it, reinstall the app.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.