Plexx's Configuration (2013 Edition) - N/A

Status
Not open for further replies.

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
RE: Biozfear's Configuration (2013 Edition)

Bio, when you get online more offten, Use that 6 month giveaway of Webroot in the giveaway section. I just can't brag enough about its lightness and its features :D

P

Plexx

Thread author

3link9 said:
Bio, when you get online more offten, Use that 6 month giveaway of Webroot in the giveaway section. I just can't brag enough about its lightness and its features :D

Been there, done that. Not something I would choose for gaming.

WalterWolf

Level 3
Verified
Jan 28, 2013

3link9 said:

Worst Av out there :)

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

WalterWolf said:
3link9 said:

can you develop?

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011

WalterWolf said:
3link9 said:

Explain Please.
Obviously you never tried it out or learn how it works.
You're not going by AV-C perhaps?

P

Plexx

Thread author

Umbra Corp. said:
can you develop?

3link9 said:
Explain Please.
Obviously you never tried it out or learn how it works.
You're not going by AV-C perhaps?

The user does not know how WSA works and or simply basis his opinion on detection rate itself.

What troubles me is Stranger going for +3 Kudos on the quiet side... Would have expected more but hey, a topic that doesn't really need to be discussed in this thread.

And to make one thing clear to prevent further spam posts by random users: Reason I do not use WSA is because I do not agree with some approaches they do as well as the inability to exclude folders. FPS drops on games running WSA is the same exact drops as running avast (without excluding folders and tweaking file shield).

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011

Well I guess thats the culprit of the sudden FPS drops I been having....

P

Plexx

Thread author

Decided to cross check the FPS drops if they are still visible in WSA.

Will still keep it running for awhile even if FPS drops are visible.

So far only stock settings used (nothing changed). Will look into tweaking if need be.

Idle RAM Usage (which is important since running multiple game clients can tax the RAM):

xRDG0gQ.png

SUHKS8d.png

P

Plexx

Thread author

Ok after nearly 24 hours after adding WSA, here are the observations:

Online Gaming: Path of Exile and Eve Online
No FPS drops and in fact 3 FPS higher than avast! (with game folders excluded completely) on PoE, 5 FPS higher on EVE Online: Both with high visual settings on both Windowed and Full Screen modes.

Offline Gaming: Torchlight 1, Torchlight 2 and Mark of the Ninja:
No FPS drops and all games executed around 5 seconds faster as opposed to the time when avast! was on.

Boot time: less time to boot (around 10 seconds).

System loadup (upon log into windows): WSA loads straight away followed by Mamutu, no impact and faster than when avast! was enabled overall.

Browsing speed: pages load around 1 to 2 seconds faster (avast had web shield on).

Opening documents/files: faster.

Overall experience: better than avast in any aspect

Observation: one of the builds from WSA was probably causing some side effects before and that is why it was ditched.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

so use WSA as main solution or not?

P

Plexx

Thread author

Umbra Corp. said:
so use WSA as main solution or not?

Yeah, reason being the overall impact on gaming and system responsiveness compared to avast.

it's detection is just fine. The main concern is actually the memory used. I could get by with CAV or ESET but when you are running a multi client game in window mode where every FPS count and the RAM usage spikes up since each client process is around 1600K, I need something light at all times.

I excluded today the games processes under the quarantine tab but have not seen any decrease/increase on FPS nor any performance drops. Settings are still the default settings when WSA was installed.

The only thing I have changed is here:

ghAcmaV.png

I will probably make a guide/tweaks eventually when I have some time.

BSOD

Level 2
Verified
Sep 29, 2012

What are your system specs?

P

Plexx

Thread author

BSOD said:

Here you go:

Code:
Dell XPS 17 L702X model (customized)
17.3 Inches Full HD

CPU:
Intel Core i7 2720QM @ 2.20GHz (8 cores) (32nm Sandy Bridge), 6M Cache, up to 3.30 GHz turbo boost.
Motherboard: Dell's 0XN71K

Graphics:
On Board Graphics: Intel HD Graphics
Dedicated Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M 3GB DDR3 with Optimus technology
DirectX 11

RAM: 6.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 1333Mhz 

Audio and Speakers:
JBL 2.1 Designed & Certified Speakers +Waves MaxxAudio® 3
2.1 Audio: 2 X 5W + 12W sub-woofer = 22W Total peak audio performance

Hard Disk:
Replaced the original 640GB Samsung SATA 7200RPM with Hitachi HTS725050A7E630 ATA Device (SATA) 500GB 7200RPM (more silent).

Optical Drive:
PLDS DVD+-RW DS-8A5SH ATA Device

Power:
9-cell LI (2.8Ah 90Whr); Up to around 6 hours of battery life
150W AC adapter

Camera
2.0MP HD with single digital mic (H.264)

Wireless:
Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1030 (1x2 bgn+ Bluetooth)

Ports, Slots, Chassis and additional features:
Mini DisplayPort (1),
2 total USB 3.0
2 total USB 2.0 (1 / 1 eSATA/powershare combo)
Integrated network connector 10/100/1000 LAN (RJ45)
HDMI 1.4
AC adapter connector
Audio jacks:headphone(2 total) with SPID/F support (1), 1 Mic-in
TV Tuner integrated
9-in-1 media card reader:
Supporting SD, SDIO, SDXC, SDHC, MS, MS Pro, MMC, MSXC, xD
Multimedia Control Buttons:
External display, wireless on/off, extended battery life, brightness -, brightness +, volume +, rewind, play/pause, forward, touchpad deactivation button 
Capacitive Keys :
Windows® Mobility Center, Audio control panel, user configurable launch button 
LED Lights:
Keyboard: Backlit version (white lights)
Palmrest: battery indicator, wireless and caps lock; hinge: hard drive activity and battery charge.

Dimensions & Weight:
Width: 16.3" (414.9mm)
Height: 1.3" (32.8mm) front/1.5" (38.5mm) back
Depth: 11.3" (287.3mm)
Weight: Around 4kg with 9-cell battery mounted

BSOD

Level 2
Verified
Sep 29, 2012

Biozfear said:
BSOD said:
Here you go:

That's quite a beast. I am just glad that more and more people are turning to lighter security even when they have the specs required to run heavier AV. I know you use the system for gaming and do not want an AV that has high RAM/CPU usage but still. Good on you.

I am sure when people are careful in their internet browsing habits, any sort of configuration can fend off most of the malware. :)

Are you sure you need Mamutu since you use the system for gaming anyway? Just asking. Since you're the "Testing and Reviews Group Leader" you definitely know what you're doing. :p

P

Plexx

Thread author

BSOD said:
That's quite a beast. I am just glad that more and more people are turning to lighter security even when they have the specs required to run heavier AV. I know you use the system for gaming and do not want an AV that has high RAM/CPU usage but still. Good on you.

I am sure when people are careful in their internet browsing habits, any sort of configuration can fend off most of the malware. :)

Are you sure you need Mamutu since you use the system for gaming anyway? Just asking. Since you're the "Testing and Reviews Group Leader" you definitely know what you're doing. :p

If I have opted for 8GB or 16GB RAM, then I would not mind so much some heavier solutions.

Technically speaking I am considering upgrading to 2 slots of 8GB each, since MoBo only supports up to 16GB but before I go into that, the 6GB is fine. My only downfall is running 2 x Path of Exile clients at the same time + 4 chrome tabs + Live Messenger + Mumble or Ventrillo. That makes my 24% Idle ram spike up to 70% which I do not particularly like. Needless to say, I should be able to skip the 4 chrome tabs once I finish what I started in PoE.

Mamutu has always a place in any system. Since no solution is perfect, I rather have a backup plan just in case.
When I had ESET, HIPS was disabled. Trialed 30 days Mamutu.
Then RollbackRX messed up everything.
Clean install, went with CAV + HIPS. Eventually HDD failure on specific sectors, so restore points were never available, CAV took time to boot out of nowhere etc.

Moved to avast! and well, its BB was and still is basically non-existent. So I paired with a standalone BB.

Between HIPS and BB for a gamer, BB is more silent. Comodo's HIPS in CIS5.10/5.12 was also fine, mind you.

Below are the only exclusions I have and even so, only 3 need to be updated every now and again (Path of Exile, QuickSet and Synthelper).

cvIO02N.png

Laptop is 1 and a half year old already tho. At the time it was around 1700GBP, tho I had some discount already included.

BSOD

Level 2
Verified
Sep 29, 2012

Biozfear said:
If I have opted for 8GB or 16GB RAM, then I would not mind so much some heavier solutions.

I guess with that much RAM, a heavier solution = light AV on a system. :D

One and a half years old isn't bad.

P

Plexx

Thread author

BSOD said:
I guess with that much RAM, a heavier solution = light AV on a system. :D

One and a half years old isn't bad.

Aside of RAM, there are other factors I consider: Boot time and actual Games FPS.

I did run a SSD before but it ain't worth the money on a gaming laptop. Such SSD is now living happily in my second laptop, which is an AMD based cpu mid end.

If it was a desktop, I would have no problem, but being a laptop, its more limited.

Reason I opted for the XPS over MSI and Alienware was mainly the air out. Alienware MX 17 with slightly better specs would have cost me additional 300GBP but nearly all air out is on bottom of the laptop. Also it suffered from some over heating.

MSI had decent options but I had to order from US and couldn't fully customize it.

P

Plexx

Thread author

Replaced WSA with CAV and D+ (5.12).

Some issues on FPS with WSA. Not much but when a game has DSYNC issues, it is crucial.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012

Biozfear said:
Replaced WSA with CAV and D+ (5.12).

Some issues on FPS with WSA. Not much but when a game has DSYNC issues, it is crucial.

Why are you using Comodo 5.12 why not v6.
Sir, Can you list the Pros & Cons of Comodo Internet Security v6

P

Plexx

Thread author

MrExplorer said:
Why are you using Comodo 5.12 why not v6.
Sir, Can you list the Pros & Cons of Comodo Internet Security v6

I have not used CIS V6 long enough to list pros and cons. I could but it would not be based on my experience.

Reason I have 5.12 as opposed to 6 is also for the same reason listed above. Also, as a gamer, I require some games to be fully excluded and HeffeD has explained in detail how to do for 5.10/5.12 in D+ but v6 for me is more complicated.

That is not to say I would not upgrade it nor learn it properly. I have CIS 6 installed on a junk pc to explore its configurations etc but I need more time to read up through these 2 guides: 1 and 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.