Plexx's Configuration (2013 Edition) - N/A

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Plexx

Thread author
RE: Biozfear's Config (updated 28/11/12)

Temporarily switched to avast! with some custom settings. Let's see how the latest build performs.

Edit:

It surely did not last long in my system:

1st: wanted to give the auto sandbox a try: Loaded up FireFall and onwards we go, if only... Crashed upon analising the patcher and thats about it.

Sure I can easily exclude from sandbox or disable auto sandbox but that defeats the purpose on this solution.

2nd: drops of frame rates per second and lag visible straight away upon running the game (will need to cross check the data again after a few runs)

things to check: avast + windows 7 firewall and webshield along with comodo firewall option (checked their forums and thread blames comodo... pointless touching that subject. Also some users recommend using comodo 5.12 with avast on windows 7...).

Somehow have a bad feeling about this temporary change. Let's see...

Edit: avast keeps hanging/freezing when its updating (have set to manually find updates so I could monitor the behavior).

P

Plexx

Thread author
RE: Biozfear's Config (updated 28/11/12)

For some reason couldn't edit the last post.

Here is a graphical representation of my FPS... On a high end gaming laptop with basically most settings on medium.

Comodo had over 40+ FPS on exact same location.

Now have a look with avast (refer to top bar of screenshot underlined in red):

r3G8B.jpg

P

Plexx

Thread author
RE: Biozfear's Config (updated 30/11/12)

Ever since yesterday, avast wasn't able to update anything, including definitions.

Did a clean install and worked until this afternoon.

Based on the issues + the drops on FPS (despite the solution being light), I am now officially AVless.

Either go CIS route or EAM with CIS.

Emsisoft Mamutu is at around 6GBP so I might grab that instead.

Still deciding.

NSG001

Level 16
Verified
Nov 21, 2011

A pal of mine recently tried the latest avast! had no end of issues, so once again he is using CIS (5.12).

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012

Biozfear said:
Ever since yesterday, avast wasn't able to update anything, including definitions.

Did a clean install and worked until this afternoon.

Based on the issues + the drops on FPS (despite the solution being light), I am now officially AVless.

Either go CIS route or EAM with CIS.

Emsisoft Mamutu is at around 6GBP so I might grab that instead.

Still deciding.

I would say you to go with EAM with CIS.

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011

I been having tech problems with Avast (updates not updating, sandbox acting weird, scan froze a few times and Note that I seen this happen on other computers even my new one)

Now I need to go off topic a minute,
Bio how are you liking Firefall? :D
Looks awesome but I haven't decided if I wanted to try it out :p

P

Plexx

Thread author

NSG001 said:
A pal of mine recently tried the latest avast! had no end of issues, so once again he is using CIS (5.12).

3link9 said:
I been having tech problems with Avast (updates not updating, sandbox acting weird, scan froze a few times and Note that I seen this happen on other computers even my new one)

My other laptop is not running avast! latest build and is perfectly fine.

As for my issues on updating, I checked forums and I ain't the only one. Only suggestion they have provided was repair.

In all honesty, if a user has to do repair in order to have the problem fixed, I rather not use it.

That aside it severely dropped my FPS so while I can still admit avast! is now lighter than previous builds of version 7, there are problems to be addressed. Once they address it, I will give a try once again.

Unknown said:
I would say you to go with EAM with CIS.

Problem with EAM and reason why I switched from EAM 7 was the occasional spikes and you can clearly see the spikes upon launching IE9 for example. Bearing in mind I always have games excluded from scan and BB, does not particuarly help having I/O's CPU and occasional RAM spikes.

Probably stick to CIS on it's own and simply get Mamutu. Probably give 30 days trial first. Need to see how it reacts to Raiderz and FireFall.

3link9 said:
Now I need to go off topic a minute,
Bio how are you liking Firefall? :D
Looks awesome but I haven't decided if I wanted to try it out :p
Going off topic now:
FireFall is currently in Close beta. You can apply for weekend beta which usually gives you the chance to play during the weekend without an invite or you can request one here: https://beta.firefallthegame.com/accounts/new

Bear in mind invites are random. I can however send you an invite. PM me your email if you are interested.

Have a look at this video for a first 40 min gameplay of PVE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_M6GZv88N8

I love that game. Almost maxed Tier 1 of assault battleframe and biotech.

PVP is also intense. There ain't much questing but enough random world events to farm exp.

NSG001

Level 16
Verified
Nov 21, 2011

EAM working set

As requested elsewhere, unable to test Chrome but Dragon is basd on same chromium build of latest version.

No Browser:
92ldh.png

Internet Explorer Full Screen just Homepage loaded:
8Y7Yv.png

OGR2X.png

Dragon Full Screen just Homepage loaded:
W5Dse.png

o6v5J.png

NSG001

Level 16
Verified
Nov 21, 2011

I still stand by the fact that EAM is possibly the lightest it has ever been :)

P

Plexx

Thread author

Thanks NSG.

Reason I asked is because those spikes I observed were once I launched both browsers.

EAM itself was light apart from the boot delay that Umbra and I experienced (although I believe you too).

I will probably load up for a few days to see how it works along FireFall.

One thing for sure is configuring the BB to ignore FF.

NSG001

Level 16
Verified
Nov 21, 2011

Good luck :)
I forgot how light Internet Explorer was so i've also learnt from this.
Thanks!

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
RE: Biozfear's Config

I'm also using IE10 as secondary browser, efficient & light, it just lack addons.

P

Plexx

Thread author
RE: Biozfear's Configuration

I use both IE and Chrome, depending on my mood.

Switched back to CIS 5.10 with the settings I was using before. Only thing left to do is configure Raiderz and FireFall with D+ since once the patcher kicks in and updates, there are tons of reg keys being modified.

P

Plexx

Thread author

Installed CIS 6 for a test run.

One thing I noted was the extra processes compared to 5.10.

Shall see how it will impact the system.

Keeping an open mind but not a fan of the GUI.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

Biozfear said:
Installed CIS 6 for a test run.

One thing I noted was the extra processes compared to 5.10.

Shall see how it will impact the system.

Keeping an open mind but not a fan of the GUI.

yes , if you enable full virtualization and open Kiosk , you will have 5 processes active, uses more RAM but is quite similar in responsiveness than v5

P

Plexx

Thread author

I fully endorse new features and changes but at this moment CIS 6 ain't what I need on this machine.
That being said, switched temporary to the latest build of avast once again with some custom settings.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

That is one feature in Avast I would always have on ask, is the Sandbox. Who knows what wants to run, plus it's better to be safe than sorry.

P

Plexx

Thread author

McLovin said:
That is one feature in Avast I would always have on ask, is the Sandbox. Who knows what wants to run, plus it's better to be safe than sorry.

To be honest, I can't understand why default settings are on Auto. Enough testing was made and when its unknown, it runs on sandbox while checks with avast cloud but then allows you to run again and if that is an infection, you are pretty much done...

Even on a SSD, avast boot time is longer than Comodo or ESET...

That aside, 2 out of 4 games go into sandbox the moment full screen kicks off, freezing everything and I cannot be asked to exclude the exe from it.

Guess I will keep such configuration on the other laptop for now and see what I put on it.

Edit: BSOD the moment I run Seven Core.

That is again another change for me. avast! out.

7Core still gave me problems after avast being uninstalled which led me to believe it was a problem with the game itself. Removed the game, reinstalled avast and reinstalled 7core. No problems observed after 1 hour into the game.

Will post further results of further tweaks.

P

Plexx

Thread author

In avast!, since PUP is disabled by default on every scan, I left it as disabled and only made some changes overall.

*Excluded CCP and HI Rez Studios folders (EVE Online and SMITE respectively) from every scan;
*Excluded my personal folder of installers (small collection) from every scan;
*To be on the safe side, excluded EVE Online and SMITE patchers and executables from Auto Sandbox to prevent any issues (Steam's Awsomenauts, sevencore online and Raiderz) don't get in the way of Auto Sandbox.

Changed the Full scan Priority from High (Default) to Normal:

ysO1W.png

Result of 1st full scan:

DdFw2.png

Can't say I am not impressed with the scan speed... I expected way slower, therefore I do take my hat off for avast!'s scan speed.

Also played EVE, Awesomenauts and SMITE for a bit to identify any lag or any drops on FPS. None observed.

Only issue I have is boot time increased a few seconds compared to CIS but I can live with it.

As for firewall, sticking to Windows 7 for now. Not that I want to over complicate things but for gaming, specially patching, firewalls tend to get in the way unless fully excluded.

So, in a nutshell, here are my current avast! tweaks apart from the full scan tweaks screenshot above:

*Custom Installation:

ddW1V.png

*General settings:

ClikM.png

*Auto Sandbox settings (Note that Default priority is set to HIGH):

cBP6e.png

Task Manager whilst Full Scan was being carried:

9QaFN.png

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

How long does your Quick Scan take, 1st and 2nd time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.