Plexx's Configuration (2013 Edition) - N/A

Status
Not open for further replies.

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012
RE: Biozfear's main config (updated 01/09/12)

HeffeD said:
madyrocksin said:
I am a cleaning maniac so everyday once or twice i will run some cleaning utilities and my disk space will vanish somewhere

That is the problem. You can't use cleaning and defrag utilities with these types of programs. Every file you "clean" just makes another link in your snapshot so your rollback software will be able to undo it...

This type of activity will quickly make your snapshots grow quite large, quickly filling up all of your free space on your HD.

The way to "deal with it" is to stop doing it. It's unnecessary to do this so often anyway.

If you really need to do this type of thing, uninstall the rollback software, clean your drive, then reinstall/create a new baseline.

Hi HeffeD thanks for the reply,
that is got to be my last option, but i was looking for some other alternative, well if its not there then i guess i will have to do this if i want to use RBR :)

P

Plexx

Thread author

What is the size of a baseline in Rollback RX on a OS using 220GB of space? is there any specific % or depends from system to system?

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012

Biozfear said:
What is the size of a baseline in Rollback RX on a OS using 220GB of space? is there any specific % or depends from system to system?

220GB ??? are talking about your whole disk or your OS partition???

P

Plexx

Thread author

1 partition OS, total space used 220GB (contains game folders, installers, pics music etc and the OS files).

how much space will be the baseline?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

My baseline after updating win7 without any apps except RX = 333mb

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Split it into 2 partitions; 1 for OS and programs and 1 for non-critical files.

For example: C:\ 50GB, D:\ 170GB

Biozfear said:
1 partition OS, total space used 220GB (contains game folders, installers, pics music etc and the OS files).

P

Plexx

Thread author

Earth said:

Might do that instead, but when it comes to backing up the whole partition and MBR, if I ignore D, wouldn't that cause problems on a restore?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

No problems, since you only want to restore the OS, not your personal files. You can always check in the Disk Management.

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012

Biozfear said:
Earth said:

Might do that instead, but when it comes to backing up the whole partition and MBR, if I ignore D, wouldn't that cause problems on a restore?

Looks like you will be going for a dual boot with Linux on a separate drive,
I think you cannot use RBR in that case, might be risky for your MBR if you will try,
Just check it on your virtual machine windows+Linux+RBR

P

Plexx

Thread author

RBR gave me BSODs.

Checked and cross checked. Caused by RBR. I have uninstalled it, did a MBR fix just in case and reinstalled it. Every 2 or so boots, BSOD.

So since then removed it, restored the backup and split the HDD. Just finished doing OS backup (smaller partition).

Yes I will do a Dual boot but first will test it out properly on VB in this case.

Also will be testing Linux Mint 13 Xfce, Linux Mint 13 Maya, Lubuntu, Pinguy OS and Fuduntu, although I have not tried any of the latest versions, I have used them all apart from Fuduntu. Will be a tough choice.

P

Plexx

Thread author
RE: Biozfear's main config (updated 04/09/12)

Now that everything is installed apart from some bits and pieces, decided to do the switch from ESET to CAV with D+ with custom settings.

Testing of Linux Mint, Lubuntu and Pinguy OS has begun.

Thanks Earth and Jack for the help :)

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011

how do you find your new config? btw let me know if linux mint is better than kubuntu :)

P

Plexx

Thread author

House_maniac said:
how do you find your new config? btw let me know if linux mint is better than kubuntu :)

In a way, the same as running ESET. Light without system impact. System scans are custom scheduled ones just like I had with ESET, and they are scheduled for when I am not using the system at all.

Only issue is startup but that is being taken care of (need to do a bug report for that).

I do however like Comodo's HIPS over ESET but that has been said several times already.

I initially had sandbox configured for restricted permissions but some games would cause conflict so I switched to Partially Limited. Might test it on Limited and see.

By the way I have used Comodo before so it is not really a new config. It does however help having a clean installation without nearly 90% of the crap that Dell bundled with.

As for Linux, I am not a fan of Kubuntu. I have used K desktop but on another distro. Since I use it for browsing mainly, I prefer going with a lighter desktop environment. Still not sure between the ones I have been testing but I still feel Mint being the most user friendly one.

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011

Biozfear said:
House_maniac said:

In a way, the same as running ESET. Light without system impact. System scans are custom scheduled ones just like I had with ESET, and they are scheduled for when I am not using the system at all.

Only issue is startup but that is being taken care of (need to do a bug report for that).

I do however like Comodo's HIPS over ESET but that has been said several times already.

I initially had sandbox configured for restricted permissions but some games would cause conflict so I switched to Partially Limited. Might test it on Limited and see.

By the way I have used Comodo before so it is not really a new config. It does however help having a clean installation without nearly 90% of the crap that Dell bundled with.

As for Linux, I am not a fan of Kubuntu. I have used K desktop but on another distro. Since I use it for browsing mainly, I prefer going with a lighter desktop environment. Still not sure between the ones I have been testing but I still feel Mint being the most user friendly one.
yes i'm gona try mint soon thanks for the reply :)

P

Plexx

Thread author
RE: Biozfear's main config (updated 21/09/12)

Removed from Main System Comodo Antivirus with Defense + (custom settings) and added to my other system (used mainly for older offline games).

Added Emsisoft Anti-Malware 7 (custom settings).

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

hahaha i infected you again, my new "Umbra Virus " variant perform as well as the old one :p

P

Plexx

Thread author

I had a 1 year license lying around from one of the members here's giveaway so thought I might put it to use since FPs decreased.

Since my connection is playing up, offline games impact are not much so I swapped.

P

Plexx

Thread author

MRF71 said:
What settings bio?

These:

*Scheduled scan on,
*Whitelist for fileguard modified, so that I wouldn't have a problem in playing some games etc, as well as excluded some of the games processes,
*Additionally scan all files when they are read (enabled),
*Default actions for alerts changed from stock to Alert,
*Email scanning disabled,
*Application restart notification enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.