Plexx's Configuration (2013 Edition) - N/A

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
RE: Biozfear's main config (updated 06/08/12)

Biozfear said:
You mean load up a list of hosts?

yes, "Surf protection " in fact download a list of Hosts regularly .

How does the surf protection work?

Emsisoft Anti-Malware 4.0 introduced a new surf protection feature that uses an internal list with hostnames to block. The surf protection averts, that programs can resolve the IP addresses of hosts/domains. Without the IP, no internet connection can be set up. That is why the protection works independent of programs with all browsers and web applications.

The internal host list in invisible and can not directly be edited.

The data is provided by the hpHosts community project: www.hosts-file.net

If you would like to know, why a specific website was rated malicious, please check the hpHost Forum: forum.hosts-file.net

it is why i can add the liste MVPS manually.

P

Plexx

Thread author

Something is really odd here. Installed EAM, updated, restarted and memory on idle at 200k... (followed umbra's guide to configure EAM).

Any ideas anyone?

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2012

while i tested these were the settings have See Screen-shots Not all but important ones
1) I dont know about avast but i have the settings that i used for ESET and EAM of both exclusion and hips
2) Remember to install EAM before ESET and give it a restart otherwise EAM File guard wont Turn-on if ESET is Installed before EAM
3) Change following EAM settings
* File-guard > only check programs before they are executed
* Alerts > Activate Community based alert reduction and intelligent alert reduction
4)Configure ESET the way you want and disable the following option dont remember exact name but its some ting similar to "Do not allow any user process to start until real-time protection is active"
5) Configure ESET and EAM exclusion as in the screenshot below and Do a Quick scan of both with both of them enabled
6) Remember first restart after EAM and ESET together may take some time than normal

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2012

and have you tried Comodo DND which released it may help you to speed up your games http://www.dndstation.com/

P

Plexx

Thread author

I have installed EAM with ESET already installed, although I was aware of the issue you had. Fileguard was on unlike your case. I did an update, restarted and was constantly sitting at 200k...
just now dropped to 86k.

Even ESET is on 69K at the moment since this morning.

I might just remove EAM for now until I figure it out what is going on.

Will also download DND into vm to test run it, despite I have disabled quite some services already.

Edit: Got a BSoD and was caused by EAM.

Booted on Safe Mode and uninstalled it.

Think ill stick to EEK for it instead.

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2012

I guess You and i are stuck with ESET due to our Gaming needs since nothing else works as ESET when it comes to Gaming and overall performance with good detection :p

If i am wrong plz correct me so that i can use some other security suite which Does the same except CIS
And plz dont say EAM since i dont have a key for it hopefully will get it soon

P

Plexx

Thread author

loveboy_lion said:
I guess You and i are stuck with ESET due to our Gaming needs since nothing else works as ESET when it comes to Gaming and overall performance with good detection :p

If i am wrong plz correct me so that i can use some other security suite which Does the same except CIS
And plz dont say EAM since i dont have a key for it hopefully will get it soon

Guess you replied without seeing my edit feature.
Had BSoD.

not many users experienced BSoD with EAM but guess I am one of the minority here.

The only other solution I can think off that never dropped my FPS nor gave me any lag was CIS.

Also on CAV I had it on Access Scan, excluded the games folders, processes and everything in every module of CIS.

On ESET right now I am on stock settings apart from HIPS disabled which I will intend to Re-enable it and learn mode for 14 days and then go perhaps policy base.

I have tried nearly all single engines solutions for gaming... One that came close was AVG and Avira but even so, I just didn't feel comfortable.

I got a low risk of infection by default so the main reason I am with ESET is not its detection rate nor the fact that I am an user since good old version 2.7 but its lightness.

P

Plexx

Thread author
RE: Biozfear's main config (updated 12/08/12)

update: removed RT protection and added a few security suites to the mix for testing purposes.

Not a config I would recommend anyone since there is no Real Time protection.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

You're running on a Standard UA, how have you found it compared to an Admin UA?

P

Plexx

Thread author

Earth said:
You're running on a Standard UA, how have you found it compared to an Admin UA?

Since My laptop sometimes is used by other users, Standard UA is fine.

Only downfall is when installing software most of the time will request the admin password, but that is about it. Since I don't often install stuff on the host (ok some software here and there) it is fine.

P

Plexx

Thread author
RE: Biozfear's main config (updated 01/09/12)

At the moment, this config is not used since I am rebuilding the OS from scratch.

I have left the current config for any user who would like to see the main config. Note: Secondary config is still up and running.

Will probably go with EAM solo. FP's should not be an issue. Still not sure but it ain't on the list of priorities. Main priority is tweak accordingly and minimize some services etc to gain performance for gaming.

Also will be incorporating Sandboxie. Still thinking on Rollback RX.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

Biozfear said:
Still thinking on Rollback RX.

don't think , do it, it changed my life as software tester :D

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

Umbra Corp. said:
Biozfear said:
Still thinking on Rollback RX.

I have to agree, it will make life easier in the long run.

P

Plexx

Thread author

Umbra Corp. said:

How often do you create snapshots (not baselines). Also care to give me some tips. I briefly attempted on VM custom settings but didn't really explore further.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

Probably using 7zip, but what zipping program do you use?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

Biozfear said:
How often do you create snapshots (not baselines). Also care to give me some tips. I briefly attempted on VM custom settings but didn't really explore further.

i create a snapshot everytime i install/uninstall a security product, a big apps (photoshop, VMware, etc..) or a big AV update.

for example, i did before removing CIS ( if i plan to go back to it) and after installing OAP (if something goes wrong with it, what i was used to suffer before someone help me to pinpoint my issue) then one just after installing ESET.

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012

hi can i get a help :p
i had some problem with RBR
using RBR my system disk space seems to be vanishing somewhere,
the difference in disk space used to be around 4-5 GB and growing each day.
For example my system will show 12 GB in use but if i use treesize to find out space hogs the total used space will be around 8GB which is the actual one, and this is the problem only when i am using RBR.
I am a cleaning maniac so everyday once or twice i will run some cleaning utilities and my disk space will vanish somewhere, i know that these cleaning is seen by RBR as changes, but how should i deal with it, i have read on some forums that some people's free disk space has reduced by as much as 50GB that's scary for me becoz i dont give too much space for my system partition !!
Anybody ???

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011

madyrocksin said:
I am a cleaning maniac so everyday once or twice i will run some cleaning utilities and my disk space will vanish somewhere

That is the problem. You can't use cleaning and defrag utilities with these types of programs. Every file you "clean" just makes another link in your snapshot so your rollback software will be able to undo it...

This type of activity will quickly make your snapshots grow quite large, quickly filling up all of your free space on your HD.

The way to "deal with it" is to stop doing it. It's unnecessary to do this so often anyway.

If you really need to do this type of thing, uninstall the rollback software, clean your drive, then reinstall/create a new baseline.

P

Plexx

Thread author

McLovin said:
Probably using 7zip, but what zipping program do you use?

Had 7zip, Winrar and Alzip installed. Mainly used 7z and Alzip.

Peazip is installed on the other laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.