Plexx's Configuration (2013 Edition) - N/A

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Plexx

Thread author
RE: Biozfear's main config (updated 31/07/12)

Between ESET and NIS whos lighter, I will give my feedback once NIS review is done. To be honest ESET is just as light as Avira for example.

And no I am not referring to RAM usage. I am referring to CPU usage, system responsiveness, Shutdown and Startup.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012

Biozfear said:
Between ESET and NIS whos lighter, I will give my feedback once NIS review is done. To be honest ESET is just as light as Avira for example.

And no I am not referring to RAM usage. I am referring to CPU usage, system responsiveness, Shutdown and Startup.

Agree,if you go with above mention difference eset is light than nis.

P

Plexx

Thread author

Stranger said:
Biozfear said:

Agree,if you go with above mention difference eset is light than nis.

I still need to review NIS anyway so its all good:)

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011

NIS has been the lightest on my poor 2GB 1.6 usable RAM laptop and the only one I haven't had problems with from using BTS, KIS, and Eset.

BTS I had some Tech problems, KIS just hogged my laptop, and Eset I just didn't like at all.

P

Plexx

Thread author

What problems you had with ESET?

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011

Biozfear said:
What problems you had with ESET?

Small memory spikes, thats all.

and I just didn't like it that much.

P

Plexx

Thread author

The memory spikes actually settle down. However memory usage is different. On the ESET review vs my video review vs my host, 3 different memory usage. I suppose it has to do with its signatures. Nothing major:)

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012

3link9 said:
NIS has been the lightest on my poor 2GB 1.6 usable RAM laptop and the only one I haven't had problems with from using BTS, KIS, and Eset.

BTS I had some Tech problems, KIS just hogged my laptop, and Eset I just didn't like at all.

How was BTS ?any slow down or freezing

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011

Stranger said:
3link9 said:

How was BTS ?any slow down or freezing

I noticed a slight slowdown during updating.

The problem I had with bitdefender was I noticed that bitdefender was cutting my internet download speeds by ALOT.
After this happened I did an experiment by downloading a big file and I noticed my normal download speed of 360KB/s wen't down to 8KB/s.

Which it has been doing that every download.

So I uninstalled bitdefender to see if it was the culprit and It was, I downloaded a bunch of big files and my download speed went back to normal.

So this is another reason to use trials before you buy.
Otherwise, Bitdefender was amazing.
Other than that, I liked it very much and if it wasn't for that, I would have bought it.
I also noticed some other users having the same problem but I have not researched to find out why yet.

P

Plexx

Thread author

What version of BD did you use 3link9?

P

Plexx

Thread author
RE: Biozfear's main config (updated 04/08/12)

Removed Lavasoft Ad-Aware Browsing Protection and finished testing avast! Antivirus Free (test image).

P

Plexx

Thread author
RE: Biozfear's main config (updated 06/08/12)

Added a new clean image for testing purposes: ESET with Comodo Firewall with Defense + combo.

P

Plexx

Thread author

Been considering switching from ESET to EAM.

Any thoughts?

Bare in mind I'm an Online Gamer.

Firewall when not gaming is Windows 7 firewall. When gaming is on, firewall is disabled.

ESET has been serving me good. Got no complaints what so ever.

Scans are only scheduled via a custom task within ESET for specific days and hours.

I don't know...

Feels like going shopping for trainers is easier than choosing a security product.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

EAM is quite light now (except during updates), it has everything you need : good prevention (BB) & detection (scanner), also if you set it to detect on executed , you will reduce its resources usage. and if this is still high, just uncheck the "performance optomization box " then it will use less again.

Win7 Firewall + some addon to it (tiny firewall, Win7 FW control, etc...) is all you need to lighten your system.

did you consider to dual boot on an alternative Win7 just for gaming, with no apps, browser, AVs , FW?

P

Plexx

Thread author

Umbra Corp. said:
EAM is quite light now (except during updates), it has everything you need : good prevention (BB) & detection (scanner), also if you set it to detect on executed , you will reduce its resources usage. and if this is still high, just uncheck the "performance optomization box " then it will use less again.

Win7 Firewall + some addon to it (tiny firewall, Win7 FW control, etc...) is all you need to lighten your system.

did you consider to dual boot on an alternative Win7 just for gaming, with no apps, browser, AVs , FW?

Not a fan of dual boot. On most of my games I actually use VMware for it (the ones that do not require too much resources etc, which lately has not been the case).

Tinywall I reviewed it (video and text based). Did not like its RAM usage.

EAM performance box: what does that do?

File execution. I shall consider that.

By the way umbra: Have you tried ESET scan on execution only instead of File Open?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

Biozfear said:
EAM performance box: what does that do?

if you feel that EAM slow down your system , you untick that option and it suppose to improve the system responsiveness. new features since 2-3 updates.

By the way umbra: Have you tried ESET scan on execution only instead of File Open?

i was thinking of it, using EAM on read and ESET on execution, will try this.

P

Plexx

Thread author

Let me know about EAM on read and ESET on execution.

Did you disable web protection of EAM?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

Biozfear said:

ok, in Fact web protection works with like an Host blocker so it is not really an active url filter like ESET one, so no conflicts ;)

P

Plexx

Thread author

Umbra Corp. said:
Biozfear said:

ok, in Fact web protection works with like an Host blocker so it is not really an active url filter like ESET one, so no conflicts ;)

You mean load up a list of hosts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.