Plexx's Configuration (2013 Edition) - N/A

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Plexx

Thread author
RE: Biozfear's main config (updated 18/07/12)

intel software? only happens with Comodo.

Ill have to check the script as well since there is a script but the script should kick in even before Comodo launches and I don't recall seeing the script run after Comodo being loaded.

Trying to explain step by step is going to be the most troublesome since I bet you some people will not read everything and take assumptions straight away.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

no brainwashed but brainwashing ^^

P

Plexx

Thread author

I wonder when ESET will release 6.0. Got the 6.0 RC on VM and to be honest I didn't see much difference at first glance, apart from the colours.

Memory, checked and basically the same.

Really need to disable some services.

Avast or ESET... again the question remains...

P

Plexx

Thread author
RE: Biozfear's main config (updated 19/07/12)

Update:

With the help of a good friend, I have reduced 20 processes, while maintaining most of the Dell apps (some say its bundled but I still have some use for them).
Currently having max 62 processes running and 20% RAM used (with ESET installed).

Real-time protection: Main AV: ESET NOD32 Antivirus (custom settings)
Test VM: Image of my OS with ESET NOD32 Antivirus and Webroot SecureAnywhere Antivirus

Currently testing and optimizing Webroot SecureAnywhere to run along ESET NOD32 Antivirus on an image of my OS in VM.
By mistake misconfigured Webroot and bumped into some trouble so I am extending the tests to have it work along side ESET.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

Biozfear said:
With the help of a good friend, I have reduced 20 processes, while maintaining most of the Dell apps (some say its bundled but I still have some use for them).
Currently having max 62 processes running and 20% RAM used (with ESET installed).

that is much better ;)

P

Plexx

Thread author

umbrapolaris said:
Biozfear said:

that is much better ;)

compared to 80 without chrome.... runnig at 26% with COMODO, I will say this:

uVSxU

Honestly if it wasn't for him I won't get this far. Blackviper's one only removed barely 6 processors.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

in fact with time, you will not need the Blackviper anymore ^^

P

Plexx

Thread author

umbrapolaris said:
in fact with time, you will not need the Blackviper anymore ^^

I didn't use BV at all...

P

Plexx

Thread author

Ok change of plans. Going back to 3 OS images with the tweaked settings (will manually tweak the settings and services on each image, otherwise ill be on this for 6 hours and a bit).

Image 1: ESET with Webroot
Image 2: AVAST with Webroot
Image 3: Main AV still open for suggestions, with Webroot.

Purpose: Compare RAM and system responsiveness of a Main AV with WSA AV and run along Aion and C9.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

Biozfear said:
Image 3: Main AV still open for suggestions, with Webroot.

Purpose: Compare RAM and system responsiveness of a Main AV with WSA AV and run along Aion and C9.

Euuuuhhh Ahhhhhh Mmmmmmm :D

P

Plexx

Thread author

your lost for words?

you should know I am not too fond of the solution you tried to "encrypt" in your message, as a Main AV solution:)

Now seriously, it is not really possible to drop down from 60 to 62 services unless I disable some Dell stuff that I need. Yet if with ESET sitting on 75k mb I am using less than 25%, I am curious to see lower but still have a system response like ESET (basically like there was no AV) and be able to "gain" a few FPS since I play on window mode with more than 1 client of Aion (yes there is a bypass batch that is legit)...

HMB9b

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Biozfear said:

Good to see you managed to lower process count.

Biozfear said:
Now seriously, it is not really possible to drop down from 60 to 62 services unless I disable some Dell stuff that I need. Yet if with ESET sitting on 75k mb I am using less than 25%, I am curious to see lower but still have a system response like ESET (basically like there was no AV) and be able to "gain" a few FPS since I play on window mode with more than 1 client of Aion (yes there is a bypass batch that is legit)...

http://goo.gl/HMB9b

Service count? Probably not.

The only way I have managed to lower RAM usage, is to increase it to the max. By where Windows will kick in to lower memory usage for all other processes - Not sure if it's Superfetch that does this or not.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012

Eset is using 79 k in your screenshot and Pure use much less then it.
Are you feeling comfortable with eset as you said earlier that Pure memory usage is quite high for gaming pc

P

Plexx

Thread author

@Stranger: Yes ESET keeps sitting at that number, although sometimes goes to 80 and then next day down again.
Lowest I had so far in version 5 was 54444.

Pure when I tried on the 64bit it had quite some random spikes as well as while playing Aion.

ESET while AION is on is fine. I also changed the way signatures are checked/download via the task scheduler of ESET itself.

Nevertheless I am about to change it once again since I want to achieve something lighter as long as what I think gets responsive that is.

On vm, ESET with WSA is fine but im liking the less processes. Might disable the webcam process on autostart and only launch when needed, if I can figure it out the dell webcam features...

@Earth, what can I say. a few hours of brainstorming did the trick didn't it?? Owe you a beer!

P

Plexx

Thread author

Staring at VIPRE, FortiClient, TrendMicro, Outpost, Roboscan, Fsecure and AVG installers. Got all the images cloned yet don't even know which one I should begin to test. I know Forticlient uses processes for each module (I.E scheduled tasks, parental control etc).

This is going to be a long test but in order to find something to go along with my config and webroot, this ain't going to be easy. Some will bash straight away AVG and perhaps FC or FS. I ain't too bothered about its detection rate. I am more into the cleaning and system impact due to my low risk of infection.

Someone who has extensively used some of the products could share some feedback? I know I have reviewed FC, TM and Roboscan but as usual, I would like to hear other opinions.

Thanks

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2012

I have Tested Trend Micro 2013 Recently and its memory usage always was unstable 30mbs-150mbs and sometimes even 200mbs and more its detection rate also is medium cleaning capabilities are Ok and they have a good webblocker but it only support firefox and internet explorer and they currently are in no mood to support chrome (I had got email from them during beta test) i found trend sometimes even slowing down my laptop if nothing else works for you then i would suggest you check Trendmicro at last

And about avg I am not sure but i had seen or read some reviews 2013 beta it that it was not able to remove everything that it detected and it even hanged the pc while doing so not sure they fixed it or not

Not sure about forticlient , Fsecure ,Outpost and Roboscan i personally never got a chance to Test them maybe this time i will test them

Vipre i suppose does not allow installation of any other antivirus at all and i suppose you have to be more carefull when testing it along webroot or you are sure to endup having a BSOD
Thanks

P

Plexx

Thread author

Thanks lovelyboy. I found the VIPRE issue before your post, the hard way. 4 BSODs in VM one after another. Had to boot in safemode and remove it to be stable again.

FortiClient some say is light some say it ain't. When I reviewed and used on the other laptop it was fine. What I might do is start from scratch all over again and tweak settings and services then install applications one by one so I can compare the system response along with AION.

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2012

Biozfear hows your Test with Eset and Webroot going ?
Could you Test them together and share the results ?
Thanks

P

Plexx

Thread author

loveboy_lion said:
Biozfear hows your Test with Eset and Webroot going ?
Could you Test them together and share the results ?
Thanks

I have the Webroot settings I believe like yours or mix between yours and umbra's.
ESET on default but I have tweaked some stuff since I don't like startup scan.

I am planning on releasing a guide for some AV solutions tweaks for hopefullly maximum security of the actual product as a standalone product while trying to maintain the lightest optimization, ESET being the first one, once I can type a bit faster... Avast will be a bit trickier due to he scan settings etc, but not a major fall down.

I have mainly tested on VM everyday and so far is ok but still need some tweaking. Once everything is done ill publish my opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.