Plexx's Configuration (2013 Edition) - N/A

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhi95sinha

Aug 29, 2012
RE: Biozfear's main config (updated 21/09/12)

Aren't you using any firewall.:s
+ What are your custom settings ? Please do share. :D

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011

abhi95sinha said:
Aren't you using any firewall.:s
+ What are your custom settings ? Please do share. :D

He's using WIN7 so the WIN7 firewall is actually good so he really doesn't need to replace it. Take note that he's also a gamer so adding a third party firewall can cause unneeded memory usage.

abhi95sinha

Aug 29, 2012

3link9 said:
He's using WIN7 so the WIN7 firewall is actually good so he really doesn't need to replace it. Take note that he's also a gamer so adding a third party firewall can cause unneeded memory usage.

He's already using EAM. That's high on memory in my PC.

BSOD

Level 2
Verified
Sep 29, 2012

And how is Quicksys RegDefrag compared to Auslogics Registry Defrag?

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011

BSOD said:

Quicksys RegDefrag was discontinued, the last version was released over 2 years ago. The developer's website is no longer available. So you might want to use Auslogics Registry Defrag since it is still maintained.

Thanks.:D

BSOD

Level 2
Verified
Sep 29, 2012

Littlebits said:
BSOD said:

Quicksys RegDefrag was discontinued, the last version was released over 2 years ago. The developer's website is no longer available. So you might want to use Auslogics Registry Defrag since it is still maintained.

Thanks.:D

Does using a Registry defragger make sense?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

I do it every 3 months, i can feel a light improvement during the boot time.

P

Plexx

Thread author

Quicksys so far worked fine so thats why I kept it. Last time I tried Auslogics, it somewhat corrupted my registry. Will give it another try once I am back.

EAM custom settings are listed in one of the posts in Page 24 and yes I was using Windows 7 Firewall despite not listing it. I did swap to TinyWall but it didnt suit the gaming need. Nevertheless TinyWall is a good addition.

EAM is only high once it updates. Then it settles down to less than 20k. I was used to ESET so seeing 130K+ wasnt a bother.

Only thing I wished was EAM to have a gaming mode.

I will update the config once everything has been updated and tested.

AbDoU Z

Sep 22, 2012

Biozfear said:
Only thing I wished was EAM to have a gaming mode.

he have a game mode

011.png

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

What is Game Mode, does it suppress alerts only?

P

Plexx

Thread author

Does the game mode "stop" updates?

P

Plexx

Thread author
RE: Biozfear's main config (updated 06/10/12)

Removed some of the software I previously had since I decided to install Windows 7 SP1 from scratch.

Following changes were something I was already using on an older system, so I decided to replace it with other tools I previously had it.

*Peazip;
*Notepad ++ (Portable);
*Foxit Reader;
*ImgBurner;
*Orbit Downloader;
*Perfect Disk 10 (Only installed when needed).

No tweaks were made on services apart from disabling Bluetooth (4 services) since I have no need for it.

Dell Camera software set to Manual (and thats the only Dell software I choose to install that initially came with the laptop).

P

Plexx

Thread author
RE: Biozfear's Final Config (updated 13/10/12)

Decided to finally remove On Demand Scanners and also replaced some installed Apps with their Portable versions.

For users who would like to know how would my config be if it wasn't stripped down to bare minimal, just add the following options and choose the components according to your preference:

On Demand Scanners: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Hitman Pro (alternatively you could also add Emsisoft Emergency Kit);
Firewall: Windows 7 Firewall with TinyWall.
3rd Party Firewall should you not wish to use windows 7: Online Armor Free, ZoneAlarm Free, PrivateFirewall or even Outpost Firewall (for more advanced users).

Some other recommendations which I have used in the past:

Recommended Free AVs:
avast! Antivirus Free: Custom Install by Disabling WebRep, Mail/IM/P2P Shield;
AVG Antivirus Free 2013: Custom Install without the Toolbar and Mail component and add K9 Web Protection;
Avira Antivirus Free: Custom install without Web Protection and instead add K9 Web Protection;
Comodo Internet Security Premium 5.10 (since 6.0 at time of this post is in BETA) with K9 Web Protection (Stock settings are fine but if you wish to tweak it to maximum protection, google Chiron's Comodo guide - CIS includes its Firewall Counterpart).

Recommended Paid AVs:
ESET Antivirus: Custom Install with Detection of Potential Unwanted Programs enabled and HIPS set to Learning mode for 14 days and then switch to Policy based;
Emsisoft Anti-Malware: Works out of the box;
Norton Antivirus 2013: Works out of the box;

Gamer only system with low risk of infection:
Free Route: Windows Defender disabled, Microsoft Security Essentials as main Real Time Protection or Kingsoft Antivirus or Panda Cloud Antivirus Free.
Paid Route: ESET Antivirus (with HIPS disabled); Emsisoft Anti-Malware; Norton Antivirus.

That should be about it and I doubt the config will get changed that much from here on-wards.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
RE: Biozfear's Final Config (updated 16/10/12)

Looks pretty good. Others you might consider are: HitMan Pro, Do Not Track, GMER, and XueTr.

Is FileAssassin Portable free?

How do you like Hiren's Boot?

I like that you have ESET AV with HIPS.

P

Plexx

Thread author
RE: Biozfear's Final Config (updated 07/11/12)

ZOU1 said:
Looks pretty good. Others you might consider are: HitMan Pro, Do Not Track, GMER, and XueTr.

Is FileAssassin Portable free?

How do you like Hiren's Boot?

I like that you have ESET AV with HIPS.

Thanks for the suggestions ZOU. I did have use them in the past but really no need for them at this moment.

FileAssassin is free although I mainly use Unlocker.

Hiren's Boot disk has always been handy but truth to be said, I haven't updated in a while and haven't really use it in ages.

Since I had to use a temporary hard disk due to main disk being damaged without repair, backing up some games that were not previously backup using PuppyLinux was rather painful and couldn't complete the copy paste process of folders over 3GB.

Had to resort to Paragon boot disks and was able to do what I needed to do before installing a SSD on this machine.

ESET also is installed but this time with HIPS disabled. I will still minimize the need to have installed more stuff but first got to patch the games.

P

Plexx

Thread author
RE: Biozfear's Config (updated 21/11/12)

Replaced ESET AV with CIS 5.10 and just finished configuring the firewall to work along side some games.

Felt like changing RT for another light option.

CIS custom settings are based on one of my videos (Here).

Below are the settings changed (everything else set in stock):
Firewall ports Stealth as per the video.

QDHIr.png

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011

Hey Bio, Let me know how Comodo runs on your system... I been getting Major CPU Spikes from Comodo which is causing me to switch to a light paid suite since I been having tech problems with Avast and I don't like any other free alt other then Comodo.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012

nice to see your new config but bad to see that now yuo are not using ESET

P

Plexx

Thread author

3link9 said:
Hey Bio, Let me know how Comodo runs on your system... I been getting Major CPU Spikes from Comodo which is causing me to switch to a light paid suite since I been having tech problems with Avast and I don't like any other free alt other then Comodo.

Comodo is running fine and the issue I had with CAV was I suspect due to the HDD problem I had on my old samsung. Since moving to SSD temporarily, no problem whatsoever.

Only spikes I have is whilst scanning the full system but that aside, no drops on FPS/Lag with FireFall Maxed out (compared to AV Less and ESET).

Unknown said:
nice to see your new config but bad to see that now yuo are not using ESET

I can easily get by without an AV simply because I am mainly a gamer. I hardly browse and when I do, the sites are games specifics, check my email, youtube and here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.