Advice Request Portable On-Demand Scanners - System Invasiveness?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Stretch_

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 25, 2021
Looking into options for Windows, portable on-demand malware scanners, I'm wondering what invasive system interaction they might have.

I understand that portable apps do not install, however, I still am unsure what effect running reputable portable scanners might have on a system: phoning home, collecting and communicating system information, registry entries? Having only a novice understanding of the possibilities, what other invasive types of behaviors might portable on-demand scanners have?

Lastly, does anyone have a good recommendation for one of these scanners that is definitely non-invasive, and can have its definitions updated by simply downloading the definitions, rather than allowing the program internet access?

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Every tool will try to do what you are irrationally afraid of.
Just try MB offline installer
Or EEK
Then turn the internet off

Stretch_

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 25, 2021
Every tool will try to do what you are irrationally afraid of.
Just try MB offline installer
Or EEK
Then turn the internet off
We're all aware that some programs on the market have concerning invasive types of behavior. I was hoping to learn more about the presence of such behaviors in the category of programs I've described. Categorizing me as being "irrationally afraid" seems quite condescending to me here.

I'm still interested in learning what invasive types of behaviors these portable apps might have, and if some are better than others in this regard.

Also, if anyone knows of a good program that can be updated offline I'd appreciate the recommendation.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

You could try Dr Web CurIt. It comes with latest Defs but you will have to keep downloading it when you want to do a scan, unless you use the paid version. I use it and just stop any internet activity with a small program called Firewall Application Blocker.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.