Mar 30, 2022
Speedtest.jpg

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I wonder why where I am the upload speeds are capped around 20 - 25 mbps, first with Time Warner Cable and now with Spectrum. Downloads have increased over the the years, currently 550 mbps down, while the uploads are still 25. I thought this was "standard" but I see others posted here with the download and upload about the same :unsure:

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

I wonder why where I am the upload speeds are capped around 20 - 25 mbps, first with Time Warner Cable and now with Spectrum. Downloads have increased over the the years, currently 550 mbps down, while the uploads are still 25. I thought this was "standard" but I see others posted here with the download and upload about the same :unsure:
Depends on the technology of your network. Glasfibre upload can be fast as download with cable upload is usually 10 to 15 percent of download.

I have got 35Mb upload and 350Mb download, but I distribute the 350 over 3 separate WIFI channels (2.4 Ghz for IoT devices maxing out on 75Mb, the two 5Ghz channels one for work one for home maxing out on 250Mb). With the three channels I have disabled air fairness (it is also possible to combine the three networks for faster speeds, but then you need to enable air fairness to be sure one device does not take most of the capacity);

1681412659191.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Depends on the technology of your network. Glasfibre upload can be fast as download with cable upload is usually 10 to 15 percent of download.

In France, the Coaxial technology (FTTB) is abandoned. Only one city continues to use it via a municipal authority.
In the past, a coaxial giant existed here, called Numericable, but they merged with an operator with a bad reputation...

France has since bet on FTTH fiber, which I have.

To have had both (where I lived before, I had Coaxial), the download is identical with FTTH. The upload on the other hand is different. On Coaxial, it is limited to 60Mbps. On FTTH, the best offer has 900Mbps of upload :)

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

@Shadowra

:) I have also fibre optic to my house like most people in NL, but still using the old coax because it is cheaper. Until 6 meters to my front-door the data runs over fibre optics. Only last 10 meter is cable. So I don't have the coax disadvantage that you nearly never get the contracted capacity when a lot of people are on coax in your neighbourhood. I can run download test in my router also. My router reports 358 to 362 down and 37 to 38 up. So I am a happy camper. 100 to 250 Mb download each is enough for the applications my wife an I use.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
In France, the Coaxial technology (FTTB) is abandoned. Only one city continues to use it via a municipal authority.
In the past, a coaxial giant existed here, called Numericable, but they merged with an operator with a bad reputation...

France has since bet on FTTH fiber, which I have.

To have had both (where I lived before, I had Coaxial), the download is identical with FTTH. The upload on the other hand is different. On Coaxial, it is limited to 60Mbps. On FTTH, the best offer has 900Mbps of upload :)
I'm in a slow upgrade semi-rural area, we started with coaxial cable and Sprectrum is upgrading to more and more fiber cable here, but not fully implemented. I still think Spectrum puts a cap on upload. I'll ask them and see what they say if anything...

Jonny Quest

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
I'm in a slow upgrade semi-rural area, we started with coaxial cable and Sprectrum is upgrading to more and more fiber cable here, but not fully implemented. I still think Spectrum puts a cap on upload. I'll ask them and see what they say if anything...
This is what I'm getting with my Spectrum coax 3 Mbps service where I live. I'm in a semi-rural area too, and I haven't heard anything yet as far as fiber cable upgrade. I'm with you, not impressed with their throttled upload speeds. These numbers have been really consistent over the last year and a half since I've used them.

speedtest.jpg

Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
This is what I'm getting with my Spectrum coax 3 Mbps service where I live. I'm in a semi-rural area too, and I haven't heard anything yet as far as fiber cable upgrade. I'm with you, not impressed with their throttled upload speeds. These numbers have been really consistent over the last year and a half since I've used them.

View attachment 274766
agree, I've seen the upload cap at 25 for 5+ years, but on the plus side, spectrum maintenance has been very good here, we rarely loose internet and the few times we have, they get it up and running quickly.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.