Battle PotPlayer vs MPC-HC vs VLC

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
I've used them all in the past and I think it's hard to pick a clear winner. Each has its own charm and strength.

VLC is great choice when you often stream media from internet or local network. Has tons of features and still under active development.
MPC-HC offers simplicity and it just works without the need of any configurations.
PotPlayer has nice interface while also offering features and customization comparable to VLC.

I don't know if all my remarks above still hold true because I've been using mpv since a few years ago.
Anyway, if I had to pick, I'd go with MPC-HC. Because I was so used to it before I switched to mpv.

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
I use MPC HC with K-lite Standard. Potplayer is nice too but I prefer MPC HC because of subtitle downloader
I use MPC-HC with K-lite mega. It is the best & simplest media player IMO. Little configuration & it beats VLC. There are guides available to configure it.
I use both VLC & MPC-HC but MPC-HC is my default player. When i need a mouse-control playback, i use VLC otherwise MPC-HC.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I use MPC-HC, because of the minimal interface, I can watch a movie, while browsing or whatever. VLC's minimal GUI is a joke.
capture_12262018_182617.jpg

MPC-HC development has stopped. Look for MPC-BE (Black Edition) instead
K-Lite keeps updating MPC-HC. I used BE before, but it was unable to play some mkv files.
Code:
Version 14.6.0 Mega ~ 54.6 MB ~ December 14th 2018
Changelog:
Updated MPC-HC to version 1.8.3.8
Updated MediaInfo Lite to version 18.12
MPC-HC is now able to download online streams using: Menu > File > Save a Copy

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Video Playback Quality in VLC is bad.for free I like MPV based players(Smplayer or Mpv easy player) and for paid PowerDVD and Splash Player Pro(discontinued but still works and convert your movies to 60FPS)
I don't like Potplayer(cuz Kakao is not trusted) but its feature rich.Potplayer+Madvr+lav filters+some changes in Nvidia settings is a good alternative to splash player pro(but still no 60fps).
there is a Chinese version of Potplayer that comes with madvr+LAV Filters+codecs
完美解码官方网站

L

Local Host

MPC-BE is the best player you can get, on top of being free and the huge feature set (Hardware Acceleration, Downsampling, 60FPS, MadVR, LAV Filters, URL Support, etc.), it's also open source.

Potplayer is a fork of MPC with stolen code, not to mention the company behind is shady.

VLC is overrated and has issues playing certain files.

As for MPC-HC it's being supported by a third-party, it won't get any more feature updates though (not like it needs it).

Last edited:

JM Safe

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
I use MPC-HC, because of the minimal interface, I can watch a movie, while browsing or whatever. VLC's minimal GUI is a joke.
View attachment 204345

K-Lite keeps updating MPC-HC. I used BE before, but it was unable to play some mkv files.
Code:
Version 14.6.0 Mega ~ 54.6 MB ~ December 14th 2018
Changelog:
Updated MPC-HC to version 1.8.3.8
Updated MediaInfo Lite to version 18.12
MPC-HC is now able to download online streams using: Menu > File > Save a Copy
Hey friend, how can you watch a movie while browsing MT ? LOOOOL :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.