Battle PotPlayer vs MPC-HC vs VLC

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
None of them. Movies & TV app is finally able to play all important codecs and the remaining codecs are available for free in the Windows Store. The other players are too much hassle for me. I believe that the fewer software the you have the less of an attack surface you have.
But I recommend Soda Player for livestreaming.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I don't like Potplayer(cuz Kakao is not trusted) but its feature rich.Potplayer+Madvr+lav filters+some changes in Nvidia settings is a good alternative to splash player pro(but still no 60fps).
What do you mean by setting up a player to play 60fps? Isn't that a video related?
Potplayer is a fork of MPC with stolen code, not to mention the company behind is shady.
Source, please. I know that Potplayer developers moved away from KMPlayer team when KMPlayer started inserting adds into the player. They wanted to stay clean from those activities

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I prefer SMPlayer (mpv based, which is a fork of Mplayer). From the list I vote Pot-player but it's subtitle search can be wonky sometimes. SMPlayer on the other hand never failed, plus there is a dedicated button (Capital A in the screenshot) for finding subtitles in the main toolbar. It's pretty customizable with skins and themes.
1545864777974.png

D

Deleted member 178

I prefer SMPlayer (mpv based, which is a fork of Mplayer). From the list I vote Pot-player but it's subtitle search can be wonky sometimes. SMPlayer on the other hand never failed, plus there is a dedicated button (Capital A in the screenshot) for finding subtitles in the main toolbar. It's pretty customizable with skins and themes.
View attachment 204399
Finally someone mentioned my main player, VLC being the second.
The subtitle lookup of SMplayer is just too good.

L

Local Host

From where they download subtitles?
OpenSubstitles.
What do you mean by setting up a player to play 60fps? Isn't that a video related?

Source, please. I know that Potplayer developers moved away from KMPlayer team when KMPlayer started inserting adds into the player. They wanted to stay clean from those activities
Source is the encoder they redistribute that got discussions of both players banned in multiple communities. When asked to provide the source of the changes made to the open source libraries, they refused and provided a fake/oudated build.

Plus the signs it's a fork of MPC are extremely easy to spot, especially in the configuration windows.

Last edited:

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
When you close VLC, it doesn't remember the music you were playing. You need to load it again, and find the place where you left off.
I like MPC-BE, but for some reason, it sometimes stops working for me, when that happens I switch to AIMP.

Last edited:

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
OpenSubstitles.

Source is the encoder they redistribute that got discussions of both players banned in multiple communities. When asked to provide the source of the changes made to the open source libraries, they refused and provided a fake/oudated build.

Plus the signs it's a fork of MPC are extremely easy to spot, especially in the configuration windows.
I was not aware of it, plus I cannot find anything about it... Potplayer is based on KMPlayer, again based on Mplayer source code like SMPlayer and MCV. All other components are taken from open source codecs, encoders and filters.
I've used MPCHC and Potplayer simultaniosly for a quite some time and didn't notice the similarity among settings and configuration.

TrueTheater
there are some premium technologies like CyberLink TrueTheater and Mirillis Picture2 that convert 24fps movies to 60 fps.
If you mesn on interpolation, that's not a true 60fps video experience as the frames just double, or with hardware rendering it can even show inbetween frames as real frames which can be shown as non natural. Most today's players hsve an option to do that.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.