Advice Request Power Defragmenter anyone tried and tested lately?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Tutman

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
I decided to try this out comparing against latest O&O defrag 23 .

Power Defragmenter 3.1
powerdfrg.jpg

Far as I know contig 1.8 is the latest version also. I did the triple pass (TM) fragment on my c: drive (I have HDD's before anyone panics!) ;) This does NOT triple defrag, it is just the name of the unique algorithm he uses in the program.

I did an un-scientific trial where I used O&O defrag to analyze before and after using Power Defragmenter and it did indeed show that my drive went from around 1.9% to .05% afterward! Anyone else still using this program or want to do a more realistic test?

Tutman

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
It's not updated from 2013 plus the developer said:
" Sorry, no. I’m not aware of any changelog and since I’m now 100% on SSD on all my devices I’m not really following defrag scene much. "
I know the gui is not updated but still works and 100% compatible with Windows 10. His program is the front end GUI more or less.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I used O&O defrag to analyze before and after using Power Defragmenter and it did indeed show that my drive went from around 1.9% to .05% afterward!
The amount of fragmentation shouldn't matter too much, as even the amount from O&O is very low. You would need to run some benchmarks to see if there is a difference in performance.

Reactions: Cortex and Tutman
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Such Tools aren't needed nowadays. Even on HDDs they don't increase any noticable.
Defrag is from old days and with SSDs only trim is needed and by default used on Windows

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Windows never defrag SSDs. It use trim for the optimisation
I was talking about hard drives, not SSDs. Even so, Windows defrags SSDs once a month.
First, yes, your SSD will get intelligently defragmented once a month. Fragmentation, while less of a performance problem on SSDs vs traditional hard drives is still a problem. SSDS *do* get fragmented.
It's worth noting that it is safe to do so, and there no need to disable it.
CONCLUSION
No, Windows is not foolishly or blindly running a defrag on your SSD every night, and no, Windows defrag isn't shortening the life of your SSD unnecessarily. Modern SSDs don't work the same way that we are used to with traditional hard drives.

Yes, your SSD's file system sometimes needs a kind of defragmentation and that's handled by Windows, monthly by default, when appropriate. The intent is to maximize performance and a long life. If you disable defragmentation completely, you are taking a risk that your filesystem metadata could reach maximum fragmentation and get you potentially in trouble.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Yes and they're not need defrag by other tools. Just use windows defaults.
In some cases, you will get better disk performance after using third party defrag tools. In other cases, you will get better performance from using Windows defrag. For most people it's fine to stick with Windows Defrag. But this just means you don't need to manually defrag hard drives, rather than that defragging is not needed.
As I wrote, it's trim. No normal defragmenting
If you read the article, you will see they they do TRIM, in addition to doing a defrag if needed.
Yes, your SSD's file system sometimes needs a kind of defragmentation and that's handled by Windows, monthly by default, when appropriate. The intent is to maximize performance and a long life. If you disable defragmentation completely, you are taking a risk that your filesystem metadata could reach maximum fragmentation and get you potentially in trouble.

Reactions: Cortex and sepik

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
my experience with this type of softwares:
- If you have an HDD BOOT drive, defragging drive C: is a must to maintain maximum speed. Defragging D or E drives doesn't have much difference. I recommend defrag your game folders or big programs like photoshop once, not the whole drive
- If you have an SSD as boot drive and an HDD as secondary drive, defrag is not needed. Let windows TRIM your SSD
- No need to defrag your HDD thoroughly because it will become fragmented in a brief time. A quick defragmenter is fine such as Auslogics. It's the best between defrag speed (extremely fast and thorough enough) and HDD speed gain after defragmentation. Mydefrag seems to be the best (or one the best) in speed gain but the defrag time is painfully long(n) and the HDD will become fragmented very soon. In fact, it's just slightly faster than Auslogics
- The more thorough or the more time it takes to defrag your drive AND the more frequent you defrag your drive, the earlier it will get broken. I had 2 HDDs broken due to this behavior in the past => do not defrag frequently

There are a few tricks to optimize HDD speed besides defragmentation. The speed gain can be much more noticeable than using the best defragmenters

Last edited:

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I gained several; seconds off boot with a Samsung SSD using O&O Degrag, it wasn't my imagination & later bought the later version 23 - I Most of the time I just run Trim but I occasionally run SOLID/COMPLETE - O&O as most German companies aren't sellers of vapourware & don't scam people, their software always has been trustworthy - Of course many feel such software is unnecessary, but it's likely I'll upgrade when the nest version is released :giggle::giggle::giggle:

• +Reputation
Reactions: Tutman and roger_m

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
Hello,
I'm using O&O Defrag 23. Once a month i do scheduled SOLID/Complete(with trim) defrag to my nvme boot drive.
To my HDD(where the games etc are installed) i use O&O Zone Filing feature. In the Zone 1(outer(faster) part of the HDD) are Steam folder, Games folder, macrium back etc softwares which i use frequently. In Zone 2(middle part of the HDD) i have movies etc files and in the Zone 3(inner part of the HDD) i have pictures etc stuff. Then i schedule Optimize/Quick every two weeks and Optimize every month.

More information about O&O Zone Filing can be found here and here.
O&O Example:
ood19_blockansicht_zonen.png

Tutman

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
Like I said at the start of the thread I do have a HDD for my c: drive no SSD and windows defrag does NOT impress me. I was just curious about the power degragmenter program but I will for sure stick with O&O defrag!

Reactions: roger_m

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.