Advice Request Privacy Badger is still good associated with other adblockers?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
Since OCTOBER 7, 2020, Privacy Badger is not using the learning approach anymore. Now they use a static list of trackers. I believe this is the same approach of some ad-blockers like ublock, adguard, etc. So i wonder if there is still any benefit in using it side by side with ublock origin, as ublock already has a static list and can block hyperlink audition just like PB

What do you think?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Privacy Badger is redundant for sure now, why using two browser extensions for the same purpose as you said, Ad-blockers already doing the same job as PB...
I completely agree with @silversurfer no need for Privacy Badger anymore (y)
And I want to stress the importance of limiting the numbers of extensions you use.
Lately there is a rise roque extensions or good extensions sold to bad people.
See these threads for more info:
But even "normal" extensions can be a risk:
Always remember that extensions can see everything you do with your browser.

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
First of all, ty guys! All answers helped me.

@Gandalf_The_Grey ty for all the other articles... I dedicated sometime to them. I was surprised with those fake extensions using the name of true companies (tunnelbear, nordvpn, adguard, etc) and also about honey extension been used to inject codes.

edit: btw all those extensions were removed.

So the only benefit about using FP in nowadays would be Canvas protection?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Stopped using Privacy Badger (and HTTPS Everywhere) almost 2 years ago.

All the popular browsers excluding Google Chrome have some levels of built-in privacy protections, and for the average user, that is sufficient.

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
Not even this as spoofing Canvas data increase uniqueness which increase easier tracking.
Sure using a random Canvas create every time a new fingerprint but Canvas is only one from a lot fingerprinting options so websites doesn't care how user modify it.
Ty!!

and HTTPS Everywhere
I still use it... any reason to stop?

----

I completely agree with @silversurfer no need for Privacy Badger anymore (y)
And I want to stress the importance of limiting the numbers of extensions you use.
Lately there is a rise roque extensions or good extensions sold to bad people.
See these threads for more info:
But even "normal" extensions can be a risk:
Always remember that extensions can see everything you do with your browser.
@oldschool these problems with extensions are the reason i'm reluctant to endorse some new extensions like the ones i noticed you follow closely like LocalCDNs and ClearURLs...

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

HTTPS Everywhere
I still use it... any reason to stop?
It's not needed nowadays. Important sites like banking use encryption and all other important sites too.
More extensions means more attack surface & privacy issues.

You can block JavaScript for all HTTP sites native in Edge so you're always safe.

these problems with extensions are the reason i'm reluctant to endorse some new extensions like the ones i noticed you follow closely like LocalCDNs and ClearURLs...
Basically the extension replace loading online CDN data with offline copies. The problem? The extension doesn't know which CDN version is needed and keeping old versions increase security and privacy issues. Connections to the CDN are established anyway.

ClearURL remove URL tracking parameter which can be done by AdGuard too if you use a Adblocker anyway.
While i use the feature in AdGuard i'm still unsure if that URL cleaning increase privacy.

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
AdGuard too if you use a Adblocker anyway.
While i use the feature in AdGuard i'm still unsure if that URL cleaning increase privacy.
I've already used this feature from Adguard, but last time i checked it was not so good as ClearURLs. Anyway, i moved back to ublock cause its easier, lighter and more effective. :)

Stas

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Feb 21, 2015
👏👏👏👏 to Mozilla

Any idea if there something similar with chromium browsers?
Brave has built-in HTTPS
Brave.JPG

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.