Serious Discussion Privacy: "I have nothing to hide?" Argument (What's your say?)

Xtwillight

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2014
Reality in many countries around the world is privacy
is not respected, and the company and government agencies
disregard applicable laws!

P
resentation for all types of private data collection:

"Product Warnings / EULA / Contract / Terms of Use / Privacy Policy
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Warning if she does that
Product-Service-Program-Website-game-use
We collect your private information.

Warning if she does that
Smartphone & Mobile Phone and Apps -Bank Card - Shopping Card Credit Card - Raffle - competition - Health Insurance CHIP CARD
We collect your private information.

Do you suffer from a disease?
which medications are prescribed?
Through the medication, we see her illness.

Everything is stored in large databases,
who gets paid enough gets their private data.

We collect your private information."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In a Democratic state
has the law - the government - the law authorities to ensure that the laws protect privacy to be respected.
If these disrespect belong to the perpetrators in court.

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Hi there, have you seen this link, if yes - then sorry to post it:
Privacy? I don't have anything to hide.
privacytools.io/#about_config: Privacy Tools | Encryption against global mass surveillance

Over the last 16 months, as I've debated this issue around the world, every single time somebody has said to me, "I don't really worry about invasions of privacy because I don't have anything to hide." I always say the same thing to them. I get out a pen, I write down my email address. I say, "Here's my email address. What I want you to do when you get home is email me the passwords to all of your email accounts, not just the nice, respectable work one in your name, but all of them, because I want to be able to just troll through what it is you're doing online, read what I want to read and publish whatever I find interesting. After all, if you're not a bad person, if you're doing nothing wrong, you should have nothing to hide." Not a single person has taken me up on that offer.
Glenn Greenwald in Why privacy matters - TED Talk

Global Mass Surveillance - The Fourteen Eyes
The UKUSA Agreement is an agreement between the United Kingdom, United States, Australia, Canada, and New Zealand to cooperatively collect, analyze, and share intelligence. Members of this group, known as the Five Eyes, focus on gathering and analyzing intelligence from different parts of the world. While Five Eyes countries have agreed to not spy on each other as adversaries, leaks by Snowden have revealed that some Five Eyes members monitor each other’s citizens and share intelligence to avoid breaking domestic laws that prohibit them from spying on their own citizens. The Five Eyes alliance also cooperates with groups of third party countries to share intelligence (forming the Nine Eyes and Fourteen Eyes), however Five Eyes and third party countries can and do spy on each other.
... ...
read MORE at the website...scroll down

------------------------------------------

and you see that I've on my all browsers these add-ons Privacy Defense and Privacy Protector Plus, and uBlock O., so I'm for privacy defense now?..

-----------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:
sorry, I've found on MT this link now:
first it's posted by Spawn here: Privacy Advise & Guides by VPN Experts
- then by Sunshine-boy here: Add-on - "Chrome Adware Removal" extension block ransomware

Last edited:

MichealHeitz

Apr 13, 2018
For those who say that they do not need any privacy as they have "nothing to hide" are greatly mistaken as the misuse of data can happen with any body.....being a victim of data theft myself.. I don't mind using Best VPN services to protect my sessions and my data....

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I have nothing to hide (luckily), unfortunately I have to. My FB is public, well that is the point of social network, to share info about yourself to get to know people. Also all my comments and opinions are public, linked to my name, whatever I say online I would say face to face to anyone. But, yes, here is but coming, but people are generally biased. Whatever you say or do (even when it is completely legal in your country), you are automatically being labeled. Like people hide, when they hire a prostitute, because it is generally not accepted and it might affect their work, friends, etc. :emoji_expressionless:

P.S. Privacy does not apply to personal info, which is meant to be hidden, like a credit card number or a social security, etc, to avoid an identity theft.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
People don't understand pretty much anything. They won't tell you their personal info on the street because "don't tell anything to strangers", but then they go and spill all of their private info and their whereabouts on Facebook to 3000 "friends". I just find that ultra hilarious.

D

Deleted member 178

I see many privacy fanboys like this Greenwald guy, attacking people saying "I have nothing to hide", those fools lack of brain and assume we have nothing to hide to everybody LOL.

No, no, fools, i have nothing to hide to law enforcements, not to common people!

"Nothing to hide" doesn't mean "exposing my life"

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

People don't understand pretty much anything. They won't tell you their personal info on the street because "don't tell anything to strangers", but then they go and spill all of their private info and their whereabouts on Facebook to 3000 "friends". I just find that ultra hilarious.

This is what is funny. People all concerned with privacy yet updating their timeline each time they go somewhere for a burger.

Put a Pi-Hole on your network and you'll discover 60-80% of the traffic coming/going on your network is telemetry/logging/spying. So to be honest, it's a finger trying to stop a leak on the Hoover Dam these days.

A career change has facilitated the need for me to largely redact myself from everything. It feels kind of good to have a zero-result on Google searches, and to have a redaction team pop all of your public data pushes from things like voter records, property tax assessments and so forth. I like it as it reminds me of the old days before all of this was lost. Even my Linkedin account was vaporized.

computer man

Level 2
Sep 26, 2019
I think that the reality is, that just becuse you aren't doing anything that you really think you need to hide, doesn't mean that it's everybody else's business to know. I recently ran across a site, Personal VPN that I think puts it rather eloquently. Just read the section "Is all this security really necessary ".

Reactions: Nevi and oldschool

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Read "Privacy? I don't have anything to hide." at the first page of https://www.privacytools.io/
This has been quoted many times in this thread, and commented on.
My issue with the argument is a) equating free speech to privacy isn’t as cut and dry as stated, and b) saying you should allow someone to publish your life for everyone is different than saying you have nothing illegal to hide from law enforcement.
Though I value privacy I feel his approach to the arguments weak.

Edit: not to mention that going out of your way like a privacy wonk can make you stick out like a sore thumb to those surveilling. Hiding in the crowd also has its benefits.

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
I'd say if the govt or some agency wanted to follow me around on the Internet, or in person, they'd become awfully bored awfully fast. That said, my life is none of their business. Anybody who wants to know my personal views on a myriad of topics, look me up on Gab or Farcebook. Surrender the right to privacy, and you give up everything. They'll want to know how many guns you own (I used to own many until I went hiking with all of them one day and forgot where I left them).

If you give up your right to privacy, they'll be into your telephone conversations, your bank accounts (they're trying here in the States), what you eat, what you buy, the list is endless. Surrendering any right surrenders everything associated with that right.

So, if you say you have nothing to hide, you're looking at it from a very narrow perspective. You don't just give up 'x,' you give up the entire alphabet.

dabluez98

Level 3
Verified
Oct 2, 2018
And ill also add (and maybe i am just repeating what @Chuck57 has said) that this is not about catching criminals. Very often states need to imprison or catch people not cuz they are criminals, but they do so to justify their power, intimidate orhers, bring stability, justify and protect extant state instiutions etc
You can be the most innocent dude on the planet and get areested while someone who murders hookers is never caught - just an exmaple though maybe not a good one..

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
their opinions should be respected. They say they have nothing to hide = they do have nothing to hide or some secrets but not a big deal to expose
same for me. I never set any password on my laptop and I don't opt-in extreme security or privacy
I'm forced to use password on my phone to use banking apps

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.