PrivaZer v3.0.89 Released (26 January 2020)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Windows itself provide everything you need and that in a safe way
Safe is not always desirable, people want to clear TEMP folders ASAP, not in 48 hours, especially with cops knocking down on their doors. :LOL:
Not to mention, that Windows does remove everything - Displays network usage information stored in the SRUDB.dat database of Windows 10/8.
Browser. Every browser can clean it's own data.
A browser can not clean itself completely, while it is running, just like a cleanup extension. It is a chicken and egg problem.

Eg in Chrome, run cleanup and check: chrome://settings/siteData

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
If cops knocking your door, you don't have time to use such a tool nor make it sense to run it at this time.
It takes a few seconds on mine PC (with one click). I also turn off PC with a cleanup. :)
Windows don't need to clear everything. Only the important stuff.
Windows provide tools, which clean, what 3rd party tools clean, but after the problem occurs, like dns/icon/store caches and so on. If you cleanup regularly, it prevents the problem in the first place. I did not start using cleanup tools, because I was bored, but to solve problems like that and it works.
And who is the problem to close the browser safely before? If you clear data from a open program, you get corrupt data and only make damage.
And how do clean a browser, when it is not running? Unless you do it manually, something most people do not know how to do.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
With an SSD, wear-leveling/over-provisioning is your Achilles heel. "Overwriting" with zeros will overwrite other sectors, quite possible leaving the original file untouched and available for forensic detection. Even "Secure Erase" is up for grabs.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I have had few if any issues using basic clean tools, IMHO they are a much easier than using Windows Clean-Up, (slow, clunky & not so good) most, almost all) applications I use in Windows are third party & usually free rather than MS built in applications - I don't clean the registry apart from removing things manually & the assumption that other tools other than MS break systems is unfounded, my PC's never get broken & I use PrivaZer from time to time - Choose your tools wisely though.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Yes... and you can't forensically wipe an SSD (no matter the claims of the developer).
For me at least, forensically cleaning is never my intention, a few overwrites on a SSD can make the easy 'Un-Deletion' by a casual user somewhat difficult, as I've tried it. There are ways of evading files being written in the first place, but often users want a little privacy from members of their family, wives etc from sites them may have visited, for fully legitimate reason, health etc?

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Thank you as always, Gandalf_The_Grey. (y) No harm in using PrivaZer, it's for "special" occasions. I can delete logs and whatnot myself but PrivaZer is better at getting into the nooks and crannies and more convenient if you're feeling a little lazy. Plus, the lead dev is always very keen on improving the product. So why not? :)

Zartarra

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2019
You can run the windows cleanup tool (cleanmgr) with the parameter /sageset:n and select the extra options. Run it with /sagerun:n.

I use Privazer or other cleaner from time to time to cleanup the rest of the programs. If you want to protect your (deleted) data from your drive, encryption with BitLocker or Veracrypt is a better option.

Reactions: roger_m

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
PrivaZer v3.0.91 Released (30 January 2020):
v3.0.91 (30 January2020)
- Fixed issues : Leveldb viewer error
@Jack and @The_PrivaZer_Team Is it possible to make this or a new thread in a general PrivaZer Updates Thread? It seems a bit silly to make new threads whenever an update comes available.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.