Troubleshoot Problem with PC Diagnostics & sfc /scannow problem

ImtheBest

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 6, 2013
I'm having this issue with my PC please help thank u.

V9iRrAk.png

pO9iqVG.png

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
for sfc /scannow from a Admin Command prompt (right click the lower left corner select command prompt admin)
and run these commands

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

DISM - Fixing Component Store Corruption in Windows 8
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/26512-dism-fixing-component-store-corruption-windows-8-a.html

for the error in the Performance monitor try and restart the pc and see if it happens again then look
in your event viewer to see what error's are there that would lead you to the name of the service that has trouble

:)

James

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Upvote 0

Razor555

Level 5
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
I still need help with this problem please anybody know how to fix this would be very nice

You need this: Tweaking.com - Windows Repair (All in One) http://www.tweaking.com/
Go to repairs and repair with the default settings, Then do sfc /scannow again and it will repair those corrupted files.
Don't forget to say thanks. :D

Edit: Probably the issue was created by a virus so don't forget to scan your system. Also check the reset file permissions before you start the repairs...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Razor555

Level 5
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
Follow Jim Lin's suggestion, when sfc /scannow can not fix a corrupted file on windows 8 or 8.1

Open command prompt with Admin then type:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

I had the same problem and Dism did not work for me. The image did not exist, that method does not work for all... When i checked in that log file the issue was due to file permissions.

Upvote 0
I

illumination

I had the same problem and Dism did not work for me. The image did not exist, that method does not work for all... When i checked in that log file the issue was due to file permissions.
The image did not exist? What was the exact error message you received then?
I have used DISM images on windows 8.1 many times and they have corrected the problems that sfc /scannow was unable too.

Upvote 0

Razor555

Level 5
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
The image did not exist? What was the exact error message you received then?
I have used DISM images on windows 8.1 many times and they have corrected the problems that sfc /scannow was unable too.

Don't remember exactly the message with the Dism command but it did not work. Probably because i updated to 8.1 from the store since i have a windows 8 disc instead, no idea. I had the same error message with ImtheBest and i fixed it using that tool. In the CBS log it was obvious that it could not repair the corrupted files due to file permissions error.

Upvote 0
I

illumination

Don't remember exactly the message with the Dism command but it did not work. Probably because i updated to 8.1 from the store since i have a windows 8 disc instead, no idea. I had the same error message with ImtheBest and i fixed it using that tool. In the CBS log it was obvious that it could not repair the corrupted files due to file permissions error.
That is quite unusual as i upgraded from windows 8 the exact same way, and used DISM to fix some corruption that happened along the way.
The OP can try it, and if it does not work, then try Tweaking.. I have yet to see DISM fail on a windows 8.1 installation though, and have tried this method on many systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
it was nice when you ran sfc /scannow on XP and it asks for the XP disk and you have a restore partition lol

and here i was thinking Dism was a fix for the old way of asking for a disk you did not get with a OEM pc

i have not had Dism fail yet also

i just restored a Gateway WIN 8 pc that some drug head had password protected the BIOS and changed the old
ladys account password

first it had a bad memory stick so no video when powered on took one out it comes on
then the BIOS was locked so i could not boot from nothing got passed that then the
account is locked get passed that and to the desktop only to be greeted by a bunch
of popups it was hard to get control of the pc but now it is restored back to new
and she is happy

i have used Tweaking.com - Windows Repair before also and sometimes it works sometimes it doin't so your milage
may very

just trying to help

i will back out of this now

good luck to the OP

:)

James

Upvote 0

ImtheBest

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 6, 2013
And my i ask what Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth acty does do i need anything for this and will it mess my PC up like loose everything

Upvote 0

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
You need this: Tweaking.com - Windows Repair (All in One) http://www.tweaking.com/
Go to repairs and repair with the default settings, Then do sfc /scannow again and it will repair those corrupted files.
Don't forget to say thanks. :D

Edit: Probably the issue was created by a virus so don't forget to scan your system. Also check the reset file permissions before you start the repairs...
I wonder if this can run safely on Windows 10?

Upvote 0
I

illumination

And my i ask what Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth acty does do i need anything for this and will it mess my PC up like loose everything
Running this in your command prompt with admin will determine if your image is in good shape and repairable:
Dism / Online / Cleanup-Image / CheckHealth

If it is repairable running the next command will fix the image:
DISM / Online / Cleanup-image / RestoreHealth

After running the command, reboot your system to take affect.

T0 answer your question's, you will not lose anything, and these commands will check if you have corrupted or missing system files and repair them.

You can read up on this yourself, if you still have doubts running it.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.