shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
where can I find the INI file for disallowed processes?
Can I copy it to a different computer, assuming that the file paths of the processes are the same?
for anyone who might be interested, this is what Bitsum support answered me (and very promptly):

"Jeremy Collake (Bitsum LLC)

Dec 14, 13:09 EST

Use the menu option 'File / Export configuration file'. It exports all settings, not just that, but ...

Alternatively, you can open the INI file in notepad, search for one of your excluded processes, and then you will see how they are stored (and how to easily swap them back in).
Jeremy Collake
Principal Software Engineer
Bittsum Technologies
https://bitsum.com"

the INI file he is referring to is the exported configuration file.

Adz.

Level 2
Verified
Dec 15, 2016
I currently use Process lasso with CPU balance. It's pretty good when it comes to gaming, you will notice a small boost in fps like i did.
also when your system is heavy, such as browser, email client or whatnot, it will help reduce lag at any cost if it detects your system is slow.

Give it a try, there's a completely free version. Also it's extremely light on resources. Try the default settings and let it sit in your tray and see the difference.

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
for anyone who might be interested, this is what Bitsum support answered me (and very promptly):

"Jeremy Collake (Bitsum LLC)

Dec 14, 13:09 EST

Use the menu option 'File / Export configuration file'. It exports all settings, not just that, but ...

Alternatively, you can open the INI file in notepad, search for one of your excluded processes, and then you will see how they are stored (and how to easily swap them back in).
Jeremy Collake
Principal Software Engineer
Bittsum Technologies
https://bitsum.com"

the INI file he is referring to is the exported configuration file.
Yeah nice share,
there are some really cool changes coming for v9. we are currently alpha testing it for Jeremy and wow.
The miltitude of changes and improvements are going to please many.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
for all you guys out there who use process lasso to control script interpreters (like I do), you should keep in mind that in certain cases, a command line can run before PL terminates the process. I found this to be true with cmd.exe.
But there is a fix.
Here are Jeremy's golden words on the subject:

"It works because it is able to run so quickly that it terminates before Lasso is able to terminate it. You can improve this by decreasing the refresh rate of the governor to 500ms (see Options / General) or even lower. Process Lasso doesn't technically disallow programs from starting at all, but terminates them as soon as it sees them. For most things, this is fine, but for quick-launching processes like cmd.exe, they can launch within the interval (depending on timing).

Anyway, I would never recommend blocking cmd.exe."

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
for all you guys out there who use process lasso to control script interpreters (like I do), you should keep in mind that in certain cases, a command line can run before PL terminates the process. I found this to be true with cmd.exe.

--------

Anyway, I would never recommend blocking cmd.exe."
But you'd recommend terminating it immediately?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
But you'd recommend terminating it immediately?
It's a quote from Jeremy at Bitsum.
I think he means that he would never mess with cmd.exe, neither by blocking nor by terminating.

There are some apps that use it, especially when they start up.
and sometimes it is used during install or uninstall of an app. Nothing critical, but still, without cmd.exe you might miss a function here or there.

EDIT: If you want to have your cake and eat it too, use NVT ERP. It will prompt you for cmd.exe, and let you whitelist the command line strings that you need

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
If I want to exclude AV, etc....
Guess "exclusion" is there in PL, right?
Is "exclusion" there in CPUBalance?
I wouldn't know this one brother as I don't use the standalone.
So if I want only ProBalance, CPUBalance is the way to go, right?
Yes, correct and many do this because they only want the CPU tool.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Do you guys in practice notice any difference when having PS and then removing it?
This is a tricky question. Process Lasso is not a performance-enhancing software. ProBalance, the main feature of Process Lasso, won't make your computer faster than it can handle. What it does, however, is retain, as much as possible, computer responsiveness (e.g. being able to move the cursor when the load is at 100%). So, when you install it, you may or may not notice anything. You may even say that your computer's speed is the same when it's not installed.

Probably, you may notice the difference if you use high-intensive applications, or those that typically use high-loads of CPU. Anyway, the best explanation is already given by Jeremy, the developer: Bitsum’s ProBalance Optimization Algorithm

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Do you guys in practice notice any difference when having PS and then removing it?
I can say I do SHvFl , because as you know I use it to block a lot of unneeded MS processes and without it
those are allowed to start, The average user who installs it and applies no tweaks may not notice a difference, until their system is under heavy load.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.