• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

bitsum

From Bitsum
Verified
Developer
Sep 1, 2016
I thought I'd chime in. I was going to answer questions, but I see you guys have it down ;). Thanks to those of you who have answered the questions of others accurately, perhaps better than I might articulate.

ProBalance quite remarkably restores system responsiveness in sustained CPU loads that might otherwise bring your system to a crawl, or force an improper shutdown. And it does this in a safe, conservative way.

Definitely ProBalance is unique because it is demonstrable. Very few algorithms in the PC Optimization genre can actually be demonstrated in real-world and synthetic tests. In fact, almost none can, so this is a big deal I've tried to impress on people, though failed to for many years. Fortunately, Microsoft is extremely reluctant to make certain changes to their CPU scheduler, so the algorithm continues to perform amazing. Why reluctant? Backwards compatibility.

Some users forget how big a difference ProBalance makes until they do without it for a bit, then they quickly see the difference it was making!

CPUBalance is what you want if you only need ProBalance. And it's cheaper, really on the verge of 100% free right now. Never expires, no timed nags, though it will ask once (with a 'Do Not Ask Again' checkbox!).

Process Lasso has other algorithms and automation for advanced users, and I am finishing up a new major version (v9) releasing tomorrow if all goes well (we'll see, but days away worst case). I am eager to get past it because I have some *awesome* plans, but have to get a new stable build out first, and I really tried to remove a lot of legacy code this build, which means lots of refactoring and testing. But it prepares us for the future. Not to mention this new build being a huge upgrade itself!

I recommend only advanced users do things like delete Task Scheduler tasks or stop services, and don't even practice that myself (and believe me, I keep my systems optimal!). That was more an issue for older OSes and third-party software you might have installed, IMHO.

This post turned out a little more rambling than I meant, but I am happy to answer any specific questions (though give me a few days, v9 has been heck getting out, I'm literally working myself to death)

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I thought I'd chime in. I was going to answer questions, but I see you guys have it down ;). Thanks to those of you who have answered the questions of others accurately, perhaps better than I might articulate.

ProBalance quite remarkably restores system responsiveness in sustained CPU loads that might otherwise bring your system to a crawl, or force an improper shutdown. And it does this in a safe, conservative way.

Definitely ProBalance is unique because it is demonstrable. Very few algorithms in the PC Optimization genre can actually be demonstrated in real-world and synthetic tests. In fact, almost none can, so this is a big deal I've tried to impress on people, though failed to for many years. Fortunately, Microsoft is extremely reluctant to make certain changes to their CPU scheduler, so the algorithm continues to perform amazing. Why reluctant? Backwards compatibility.

Some users forget how big a difference ProBalance makes until they do without it for a bit, then they quickly see the difference it was making!

CPUBalance is what you want if you only need ProBalance. And it's cheaper, really on the verge of 100% free right now. Never expires, no timed nags, though it will ask once (with a 'Do Not Ask Again' checkbox!).

Process Lasso has other algorithms and automation for advanced users, and I am finishing up a new major version (v9) releasing tomorrow if all goes well (we'll see, but days away if all goes well). I am eager to get past it because I have some *awesome* plans, but have to get a new stable build out first, and I really tried to remove a lot of legacy code this build, which means lots of refactoring and testing. But it prepares us for the future.

As for 'unwanted Microsoft programs', in Windows 10, despite a couple exceptions, Microsoft has done well to keep their background stuff out of the way. Now, unwanted third-party programs, that is where you get slowed down, especially huge security suites (which do very little good given the malware issue - if they worked, we'd not have one). Of course, I can't recommend you not use a security suite, but can say I personally use Windows Defender (built-in), but whatever you choose, try to optimize it's real-time scanning, excluding files you know to be safe, maybe scanning of archives [zip|rar|7z] ... after all, if you extract/run anything in an archive, it'll scan it then, etc... That is what really slows down a PC because everything must be passed through the blocking security filters.

I recommend only advanced users do things like delete Task Scheduler tasks or stop services, and don't even practice that myself (and believe me, I keep my systems optimal!). That was more an issue for older OSes and third-party software you might have installed, IMHO.

This post turned out a little more rambling than I meant, but I am happy to answer any specific questions (though give me a few days, v9 has been heck getting out, I'm literally working myself to death)
Howdy JC, Welcome ;)

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I can't recommend you not use a security suite, but can say I personally use Windows Defender (built-in), but whatever you choose, try to optimize it's real-time scanning, excluding files you know to be safe, maybe scanning of archives [zip|rar|7z] ... after all, if you extract/run anything in an archive, it'll scan it then, etc... That is what really slows down a PC because everything must be passed through the blocking security filters.
Me, I just do away with those BS bloated suites and Run a "No-Sig config.
AV suites are over rated JC ;)

bitsum

From Bitsum
Verified
Developer
Sep 1, 2016
Me, I just do away with those BS bloated suites and Run a "No-Sig config.
AV suites are over rated JC ;)

Amen. That is exactly what we are all coming to. We have a 'EV' certificate to sign out code with, which means they went through and validated us. It costs a lot more, but well worth it.

I wish I hadn't deleted that paragraph now, as it is spot-on technically, but then I realized where I was speaking, so redacted it. Users should recognize that no security software will stop all threats, and definitely do not install more than one! It also substantially impacts performance, though most can be tuned to have lesser impact, at least.

Last edited:

Jogos

Level 2
Verified
Apr 9, 2017
Is it profitable to install the free version of Process Lasso ? Are there any differences between using free version, and not having this program ?

bitsum

From Bitsum
Verified
Developer
Sep 1, 2016
The free version has few restrictions, but does have a 'nag' that will get a little more annoying with use. Honestly, I use the free version for testing, and it doesn't bother me, but that is the Free Edition vs Pro editiion. See more here: How Free Is Free? What is Freemium?.

You should consider CPUBalance if you want a (except for a single one time solicitation dialog) free app. It has the famous ProBalance algorithm. It has a few feature restrictions, but not anything that matters to the average user.

NOTE Process Lasso and CPUBalance are not compatible! Process Lasso will uninstall CPUBalance if you attempt to use together! Process Lasso has all of CPUBalance, and more, of course.

Thanks,

bitsum

From Bitsum
Verified
Developer
Sep 1, 2016
Change log:
  • Fix to some language preservation issues from v8 (Chinese only). Users who lose their language when updating from v8 (should not happen from v9) just need to reinstall the product. v9 tries to match you up with your Windows language selection by default, but if you over-ride that in the installer, it will honor *that* setting.
  • Allow co-install with CPUBalance once again, for evaluation purposes.
  • Remove redundant ‘Process Lasso’ registry key.
  • Improve uninstall cleanup
  • Improve build system
  • Correct a few minor issues not worth mentioning
  • Update Traditional Chinese and French

bitsum

From Bitsum
Verified
Developer
Sep 1, 2016
New releases of all 3 tier products (CPUBalance, ParkControl, and Process Lasso) will be coming in the next few days, the first two last as I just did an update. This is going to be mostly just a language update, some minor issues addressed.

I am trying to find someone to help me with Support, as it kills 1/2 my productivity. By the time I finish answering daily support, half the day is over. Anyway, I will make it happen, that's what I do.

CPUBalance is becoming more adopted, but most still prefer Process Lasso+ParkControl, perhaps not even aware of CPUBalance.

bitsum

From Bitsum
Verified
Developer
Sep 1, 2016
@CyberGHost - Definitely security suites are over-rated, and give the false illusion of security, which I think makes people act more recklessly. It's like those guys who walk tight-ropes. They say that a net causes them to act more recklessly, due to a possibly false expectation that it will save them. I have always been very critical of security suites, but try to bite my tongue, because every time I say something negative about one, ironically (or not), suddenly I get a false positive from whatever suite I mentioned.

@TerrakionSmash:
ParkControl Free is a different beast than Process Lasso Free. ParkControl gives you the ability to tune your core parking. You can't do this inside Process Lasso or CPUBalance. However, with Process Lasso, it does have the 'Bitsum Highest Performance' power plan, which auto-optimizes to the best state possible, thus you could say that ParkControl is optional. However, the Pro edition of ParkControl has some neat features like the power plan change notification, letting you know when the active power plan changes and who changed it (Win10 only right now on who changed it).

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Since this is 101 thread (Beginner Help and Introduction) I thought I would ask this question here.

Anyone happen to have any version 8 of process lasso, its the only license I had and seems the lifetime license expired for my version 8.

Process Lasso.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.