protecting privacy while surfing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

maaster

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 5, 2012
Privacy has become a major concern now-a-days...I have 2 questions

1)I know there are already some Do not track plus,ghostery etc addons available to protect privacy....Out of these which one is better(not necessarily from the above two!)

2)Then,is there a way to protect privacy even from my own Internet Service Provider?i.e)they should not know about the websites I visit!Will a VPN address this issue?

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Ghostery seems to beat DNT+ by a long shot. That said, I still retain DNT+.

Cocoon is a free proxy, but it nags you to death to upgrade. It is a good browser and proxy though.

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012
Ghostery and DNT+ can work together, u can use both + u can change your browser setting like in chrome to send dont track request + u can use Host manager to block tracking domains + many more, should guarantee 90% success at least,
but yea that will be kinda a overkill, so if you want reasonable protection(in my opinion) just use ghostery !!!

InternetChicken

Jul 16, 2012
yes ghostery is better dnt+ then for a VPN
Hotspot shield its free and when in use will protect all your internet traffic

maaster

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 5, 2012
InternetChicken said:
yes ghostery is better dnt+ then for a VPN

Hotspot shield will protect my privacy but whether it will hide my web history from ISP?

treefrog'

Oct 28, 2012
Hi

to be sure your ISP does not see your traffic you need to encrypt it
a VPN will do this
how private you wanna be will dictate whether you decide on a free or paid provider
I would always recommend a paid openVPN service, they can be very reasonible -around $5 a mth
I was also recommend off shore, non-logging providers
heres a few -
https://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-providers-really-take-anonymity-seriously-111007/ ;)
ISP's also "see" DNS requests VPN's shouldn't leak but sometimes a network adapter my send unencrypted requests, so running a DNS leak test is a good idea
:cool:

treefrog'

Oct 28, 2012
Apologies for double posting :angel:
I use AdBlock plus and ghostery, also I use FireGloves, a good add on in reducing my Panopticlick fingerprint - https://panopticlick.eff.org/
the EFF's HTTPS Everywhere forces your browser to use encrypted connections whenever possible.
I also NoScript
:)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
1. Don't share any personal information.

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Oct 6, 2012
InternetChicken said:
for a VPN

Hotspot shield is too good i like it fast & secure & hidemyass ext. are also good :)

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
treefrog said:

This is a bit of a double-edged sword. :s

How far can you actually trust a provider that is purposefully going out of its way to circumvent various laws?

If they don't care about breaking laws, what makes you think they really care about keeping your data private, or that they aren't actually storing your data for their own purposes? And who can you turn to if it turns out they've been lying about their services? Don't expect the government to be very helpful.

It seems very strange to me that people are so concerned with their privacy, yet they're willing to blindly trust someone who is purposefully making themselves difficult to legally prosecute.

Just something to think about... ;)

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
"It seems very strange to me that people are so concerned with their privacy, yet they're willing to blindly trust someone who is purposefully making themselves difficult to legally prosecute."

That is spot on. They are just dying to throw their clients under the bus in order to save their own arses if things go sour for them legally. Remember what the ultimate demise of the Mafia was, as we knew it, in the lower 48? Those who were breaking laws to serve captains soon ratted out those same captains to save their own tails.

treefrog'

Oct 28, 2012
HeffeD said:
treefrog said:

This is a bit of a double-edged sword. :s

How far can you actually trust a provider that is purposefully going out of its way to circumvent various laws?

If they don't care about breaking laws, what makes you think they really care about keeping your data private, or that they aren't actually storing your data for their own purposes? And who can you turn to if it turns out they've been lying about their services? Don't expect the government to be very helpful.

It seems very strange to me that people are so concerned with their privacy, yet they're willing to blindly trust someone who is purposefully making themselves difficult to legally prosecute.

Just something to think about... ;)

A good point :cool:
I think that if you decide to stand up for your privacy you have to do just that...
but like you say it all boils down to trusting somebody at some point.
if you can find a provider with a good "track record" where no logs are kept I'd like to think no logs are kept.
Good reputation is key IMO

InternetChicken

Jul 16, 2012
@ maaster
Hotspot Shield is a free VPN client based on OpenVPN. Unlike other anonymous surfing options, such as JonDo or Tor, Hotspot Shield encrypts all of your Internet activities and not just web browsing. This is ideal for people who want to anonymise other applications without the need to 'proxify' them, which can be a complicated and tedious task.

""Hotspot shield will protect my privacy but whether it will hide my web history from ISP? ""
so unless your ISP can break the Encryption then the answer is yes

you might like to read this its by Chiron one of the Super Moderator's here
http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-protect-your-online-privacy.htm
then this
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-anonymous-surfing-service.htm

maaster

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 5, 2012
InternetChicken said:
@ maaster
Hotspot Shield is a free VPN client based on OpenVPN. Unlike other anonymous surfing options, such as JonDo or Tor, Hotspot Shield encrypts all of your Internet activities and not just web browsing. This is ideal for people who want to anonymise other applications without the need to 'proxify' them, which can be a complicated and tedious task.

""Hotspot shield will protect my privacy but whether it will hide my web history from ISP? ""
so unless your ISP can break the Encryption then the answer is yes

you might like to read this its by Chiron one of the Super Moderator's here
http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-protect-your-online-privacy.htm
then this
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-anonymous-surfing-service.htm

Will Hotspot decrease speed of my internet connection?

treefrog'

Oct 28, 2012
if you decide to use a VPN be it hotspot shield or another I would still recommend visiting this site - http://www.dnsleaktest.com/
be aware that your ISP can see what sites you visit whist connected to a VPN IF your DNS is leaking

InternetChicken

Jul 16, 2012
@ treefrog' my leak test with no DNS

Tu8CU.png

@ maaster my speed test this morning while using hotspot shield

qNTxM.png

:angel::D

maaster

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 5, 2012
@Internet Chicken:

what is your speed as promised by your ISP or what speed u get without using VPN?

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
My first question : Is browser tracking by ad company or google facebook is such dangerous or its hoax created by internet users and software developers.
As far I think google or facebook have no interest on individual credit cards/bank account like malware/virus so there is no chance of financial loss in this circumstance.
As far ad agency,google,facebook or my isp provider try to learn which website i visit I have no problem till I am terrorist or do anything anti social or anti government work.

Correct me if I am wrong:)

InternetChicken

Jul 16, 2012
The speed promised by my isp is 8 mb but is usually between 4 to 7 mb though the day

my speed right now without hotspot shield
7CZ5C.png

and with hotspot shield
seQLa.png

And @ Stranger :goodpost:
I use hotspot shield not because I am worried about been tracked by
my isp or government , or agency,google,facebook

I use it for malware hunting mostly cos its not a good idea to leave
info like your ip address etc on bad sites and severs all over the internet lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.