Built in and Portable media creation tool

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
LDoggs recommended advice.

1. Make sure everything is on auto-update. This should include your AV, system utilities & web browser as important focal points.
This also includes but not limited to Microsoft Office, web browser extension(s)/plugins & more
2. Use an AV w/ on demand scanners. I would recommend Windows Defender for the normal home user, or if you are not confident enough you could use something stronger such as Kaspersky Free or Sophos Home Free.
With on demand scanners I would suggest to use Zemana Anti-Malware Free & Emsisoft Emergency Kit.
3. Make sure your passwords are not easily guessable. Make sure they're strong. Alpha-numerical always helps. You can also use a Password Manager such as Keepass or Lastpass.
4. Encrypt everything (optional). Use something like Veracrypt if you wish to encrypt data for security purposes. This is to prevent any thief that's stolen your device(s) from gaining access to critical data.
5. Never ever leave your computer unattended ANYWHERE. Always make sure it's in sight or with you at all times. You never know who might be trying to gain access or steal it.
6. Always look at the URLs of emails which are sent to you. Websites will never ask for you personal details in emails. Never open emails attachments from recipients you do not know or trust. Always look at the spellings of emails too. Professional companies do not tend to have back punctuation & spelling.
7. Browsing habits, always look at the URL before you enter a site. If it looks dodgy or something doesn't look right it most likely isn't. eg; paypail.com, instead of paypal.com
8. Backup is essential to any security setup. Make sure to back up all important & personal data. This can be done weekly or monthly
9. Be careful when downloading software. Most adblocking extension stop this from adverts.
10. Never ever use pirate software or download from pirate sites, 9/10 it'll be virus infected.
11. Never install or download anything you aren't looking for.
12. Extensions I would recommend for real time protection: Netcraft + Malwarebytes
13. Nano Adblocker or uBlock Origin are amazing adblocking extensions
14. Always bookmark legitimate sites you frequently use especially banking sites. This helps you to stop falling prey to the fake & rogue sites
posing as the authentic one.

~LDogg

D

Deleted member 74454

Thread author
Lets break this down, shall we...

1. Make sure everything is on auto-update. This should include your AV, system utilities & web browser as important focal points.
This also includes but not limited to Microsoft Office, web browser extension(s)/plugins & more
I manually update everything, because as noticed above, i'm an advanced user.
2. Use an AV w/ on demand scanners. I would recommend Windows Defender for the normal home user, or if you are not confident enough you could use something stronger such as Kaspersky Free or Sophos Home Free.
With on demand scanners I would suggest to use Zemana Anti-Malware Free & Emsisoft Emergency Kit.
I'm already beginning to believe you have not even looked up at the configuration, as i am running a suite. Not only am i running a suite, but a full suite with tools such as sysinspector "which can be used as a standalone should any user be interested"

3. Make sure your passwords are not easily guessable. Make sure they're strong. Alpha-numerical always helps. You can also use a Password Manager such as Keepass or Lastpass.
Again, please look up at the configuration, i am using portable Keepass.

4. Encrypt everything (optional). Use something like Veracrypt if you wish to encrypt data for security purposes. This is to prevent any thief that's stolen your device(s) from gaining access to critical data.
I do not concern myself with device encryption, as a thief would have much more to worry about breaking in here, then my encrypted device he/she would not be walking out with.

5. Never ever leave your computer unattended ANYWHERE. Always make sure it's in sight or with you at all times. You never know who might be trying to gain access or steal it.
I believe i just covered this with the answer to number 4

6. Always look at the URLs of emails which are sent to you. Websites will never ask for you personal details in emails. Never open emails attachments from recipients you do not know or trust. Always look at the spellings of emails too. Professional companies do not tend to have back punctuation & spelling.
As i am an advanced user, and this is from basics 101, it goes without saying... Unpatched systems and social engineering are the two most likely avenues of being exploited now days "this you should add to your list, an explanation of why you recommend it"

7. Browsing habits, always look at the URL before you enter a site. If it looks dodgy or something doesn't look right it most likely isn't. eg; paypail.com, instead of paypal.com
Book marking important sites, is also basic 101, to avoid mistyping a URL. And looks to be redundant with number 14 below.

8. Backup is essential to any security setup. Make sure to back up all important & personal data. This can be done weekly or monthly
This while good advice, is done daily, weekly is too long of intervals and will eventually cost you something important.

9. Be careful when downloading software. Most adblocking extension stop this from adverts.
This can be confusing, as it looks like your stating an ad blocker will save a user from unhealthy downloading habits, although i get what you meant by it. It is all in how it is worded.

10. Never ever use pirate software or download from pirate sites, 9/10 it'll be virus infected.
This, while i also understand your point, is not needed, because anyone doing so, is not going to lock their system down with custom settings of major changes for increased security more then likely snagging their illegal gained software, of which I am most certainly against.

11. Never install or download anything you aren't looking for.
Redundant and could be just as easily added to number 10

12. Extensions I would recommend for real time protection: Netcraft + Malwarebytes
13. Nano Adblocker or uBlock Origin are amazing adblocking extensions
The less you introduce to a system 3rd party wise, the better off you will be. That said, please look up again, and you will see I'm already using one of these. This, also redundant and could be condensed into one.

14. Always bookmark legitimate sites you frequently use especially banking sites. This helps you to stop falling prey to the fake & rogue sites posing as the authentic one.
No need to point this one out again.

While you have some good points, obviously taking from another i seen posting something along these lines, i would state you should look at the configuration first, to see if these points are necessary for that particular user before posting. If the user is making up for lack of knowledge with tons of software which is quite evident, then by all means, this should apply. If the user is advanced, and shows signs of, by what they limit on the machine, how it is set up and of course something i have not seen anyone ask yet, and that is, what is the system used for, then maybe this would not be the place for it.

Thank you for your input.

Last edited by a moderator:

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Add ZAM Free and EEK or NPE.

What browser do you use? And add HTTPS Everywhere.

Add Macrium Reflect Free or AOMEI Backupper.

Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: harlan4096
D

Deleted member 74454

Thread author
A very good well rounded config(y) I would just specify which browser you are using (Chrome, Edge, Firefox, etc...)
Only one so far to notice what I intentionally left out, good on you my friend.... This means you actually looked at the configuration... Im using Edge.

Add ZAM Free and EEK or NPE.

What browser do you use? And add HTTPS Everywhere.

Add Macrium Reflect Free or AOMEI Backupper.

Thanks for sharing.
You are a Trusted Member correct?

Have you looked up at the configuration, to see if I need these tools you have recommended or are you just copying and pasting the same thing for everyone to look good? I ask, because if you were to look, you would realize some factors, and some I will point out...

~I'm using Eset IS, not only do I have sysinspector listed in my on demands section, because I am also listed as an advanced user, and obviously know how to utilize the tools I do have "sysRescue Live also included", on demands are not necessary for me. On demands are Post infection tools, clean up tools, and the ones listed, are really not that efficient.

Zam, which at one point, was decent, has gone down hill, it's detection capabilities taking a hit...

EEK, which is great for scanning most common places files drop, does not cover them all, and requires more and more software to cover what it misses.

NPE, this, I have seen you recommend complete novices, and is quite literally a no-no... It is very aggressive and full of False Positives, great way to cripple applications or Operating systems...

I can at any time recognize or analyze my system for infection hence why I stated I am advanced, not just because I was looking for green colored secure tag.

You also suggested two back up applications "3rd party" when I clearly have built in posted, although, in case of infection, will perform a complete wipe and reformat to eradicate any and all traces left on the system, in the very unlikely event I do become infected, because my number one tool is knowledge.

I do not see any advice really helping users in this section, as it has become a show boat of users pretending to be experts and giving out incredibly bad advice. Users seeking help that are average, do not stand a chance in this place, with this approach.

I must apologize if this seems harsh and direct, but if you are truly here to help and not show boat, then you will take this advice and learn something from it.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Thread author
Only one so far to notice what I intentionally left out, good on you my friend.... This means you actually looked at the configuration... Im using Edge.

One thing you will notice as I am sure you already have, is that there is a tendency for people to ask someone to add 100 things to their configuration with little regard of their setup/knowledge. I think it's like a nervous twitch. Myself and others have been trying to tamper this down and instead getting people to focus on glaring issues with their setup (ie no back up solution, disabled UAC, etc...), instead of asking people to add things they may not /don't need. No amount of programs/extensions will protect you if you cannot practice safe surfing habits. Alas this seems to fall on deaf ears at times.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Yep, would advice to use https everywhere IF you had some fakeware doing the same thing already

But since youre only using ublock origin, theres no need to advice you bloat more your browser

If you go deeper and deeper, you could mention about ublock, wich lists are you using, and about easy, medium, hard modes if enabled but thats not necessary to tell in config

If people are suggesting some apps/extensions they should always mention pros/cons of the app because some not that advanced user will be confused and installs all suggestions on their conf

D

Deleted member 74454

Thread author
Hi, @Protocol 7 , my suggestion to you is to be more polite to other MT community members, so it would be more friendly place for all of us to contribute. Not everyone is an advanced user, so please try to understand that. Thanks for sharing your config. :giggle:
While I appreciate your suggestion, being impolite has not been my attention and why I apologized in advance of seeming harsh and direct. I just see no sense in beating around the bush with something that can have drastic effect on any users seeking help in this section.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
I added such things as a blanket advice as such. I found your way of doing so to be fairly arrogant in manner. I looked at your config and I can quite clearly see you have such things within the config. It's advice for individuals to do with as they see fit.

~LDogg

D

Deleted member 74454

Thread author
I added such things as a blanket advice as such. I found your way of doing so to be fairly arrogant in manner. I looked at your config and I can quite clearly see you have such things within the config. It's advice for individuals to do with as they see fit.

~LDogg
Instead of approaching fact with fact, direct insults seem to be the default with users such as yourself. This directly indicates your maturity level and ability to advise anyone. Your advice up above, was shown to be not only mostly redundant, but does not pertain to me or my configuration, how is this helpful in anyway, shape or form?

Reactions: slash/

Inquisitive

Level 1
Verified
Oct 4, 2017
Instead of approaching fact with fact, direct insults seem to be the default with users such as yourself. This directly indicates your maturity level and ability to advise anyone. Your advice up above, was shown to be not only mostly redundant, but does not pertain to me or my configuration, how is this helpful in anyway, shape or form?
The hypocrisy I'm seeing is astounding. Do you have anything better to do than insult other forum members? I understand how you would see some of the advice given to be pointless but there's zero reason to be as rude as your are in your responses. I completely agree with LDogg on this one, and the only proof I needed was given when you started talking about his "maturity level."

Reactions: JM Safe
D

Deleted member 74454

Thread author
The hypocrisy I'm seeing is astounding. Do you have anything better to do than insult other forum members? I understand how you would see some of the advice given to be pointless but there's zero reason to be as rude as your are in your responses. I completely agree with LDogg on this one, and the only proof I needed was given when you started talking about his "maturity level."
So it is ok for him to call someone arrogant, but not for one to point out how immature he is being with his responses, talk about hypocrisy....

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Personally, i can understand @Protocol 7 "frustration" and "rudeness", some advices, while being made from good intentions, are just canned copy-pasted advice and clearly not necessary. I would react the same way he did.
Now i see people coming and posting in this thread just to bash him, which is totally improper, so if you have nothing to say about his config, just shut your damn mouth.

Now back on topic, I read his config attentively, he doesn't need anything else, it is perfectly fine at it is, the basics are covered, not bloat , no overkill stuff as i can see too often here...

The only thing i observed is that he runs on admin account, while i prefer (and highly suggest to anyone) to use SUA. But again this is not mandatory.

D

Deleted member 74454

Thread author
Not saying when i created the rules for this section : Guidelines - How to have a Decent and Safe Security Configuration

all that was said here was already mentioned ;) but people rarely read rules...
It seems many worry about their image here more then handing out good advice or reading anything before doing so. If they are that worried about the way they look, then they should take all of this seriously, as it looks bad upon all that hand out advice like has been seen here. Not only does it reflect badly, on them, but the forum as well, and spelling out what this does to the users that are advised, is not needed again at this point.

There is a ton of knowledge here buried under all this taking place, it is a shame to see it wasted by intimidation/bad advice. Take it from one that has been attacked more times in this forum then any other and handed ridiculous amounts of advice on piling software.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.