Built in and Portable media creation tool

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Basic config.
I manually update everything, because as noticed above, i'm an advanced user.
What does that even mean..? An "advanced user" may use automatic updates to save time, so they can get on and do something productive.

Reactions: JM Safe
D

Deleted member 74454

Thread author
What does that even mean..?

An "advanced user" may use automatic updates to save time, so they can get on and do something productive.
An advanced user, will look at the updates, research them for possible issues, verify updates and apply them as needed.

My statement was not to insult an advanced user that uses automatic updates, but to point out that once a user gets to a certain point, they will be methodical in their approach of system maintenance.

D

Deleted member 74454

Thread author
If you have time for all of that, then yes.
In a Pros and Cons shared system, not taking the time to do this could cost a user more time. Installing an update that causes issues or incompatibilities to find out after installation by someone sharing the system with you, and having to hunt down, find and fix issues, can also be very time consuming, if not more so then delaying an update long enough to research it. So really, i would state it is dependent upon set up and uses of system. How many updates have MS pushed, that had to be rolled back, or simply left many users with serious issues. Patched systems are a must to avoid potential exploitable avenues, but sometimes those patches are worse then what they are patching.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
In a Pros and Cons shared system, not taking the time to do this could cost a user more time. Installing an update that causes issues or incompatibilities to find out after installation by someone sharing the system with you, and having to hunt down, find and fix issues, can also be very time consuming, if not more so then delaying an update long enough to research it. So really, i would state it is dependent upon set up and uses of system. How many updates have MS pushed, that had to be rolled back, or simply left many users with serious issues. Patched systems are a must to avoid potential exploitable avenues, but sometimes those patches are worse then what they are patching.
Just do like the genius users, use Rollback RX :p

D

Deleted member 74454

Thread author
Just do like the genius users, use Rollback RX :p
Am i to assume i would not have issues with Rollback RX and updates/upgrades of windows OS, or would i have to as in the past, uninstall RX every time a major change comes along, because this would also be time consuming, and not really genius ;) :p

Reactions: Handsome Recluse
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Am i to assume i would not have issues with Rollback RX and updates/upgrades of windows OS, or would i have to as in the past, uninstall RX every time a major change comes along, because this would also be time consuming, and not really genius ;):p
Installing/removing RX takes 2mn, and you do it only when a new Windows build is released every 6 months, anyway in such case good practice suggest a clean install. So it doesn't matter.
With RX you wont care if a Windows cumulative update is botched, you will reload a clean state in seconds. usually Windows Update fails because the user system is polluted by old corrupted software remnants/drivers/registry entries.
RX is gold for professional testers like me, way more efficient than an imaging soft.

D

Deleted member 74454

Thread author
Installing/removing RX takes 2mn, and you do it only when a new Windows build is released every 6 months, anyway in such case good practice suggest a clean install. So it doesn't matter.
With RX you wont care if a Windows cumulative update is botched, you will reload a clean state in seconds. usually Windows Update fails because the user system is polluted by old corrupted software remnants/drivers/registry entries.
RX is gold for professional testers like me, way more efficient than an imaging soft.
I managed to find one of those little hiccups once with RX, that transitioned into a full wipe of the drive and reformat, RX while handy in some cases, has never been completely issue free. Myself, i clean install my Host every major iteration of W10, and do all my testing in a contained Virtual machine so as to not effect my Host in any way, even keep my Guest machines stored on a separate partition, for main drive maintenance without issue, and makes a clean install of the main without loosing saved work in guest machines quite efficiently as well..

Do not need to be a professional, to be proficient ;) :)

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
I observed that VMs dont reflect totally a real system: same OS setup, same softs, same test, different results...
Indeed RX like any soft isnt perfect, the few times it screws me was when i did repeated hard shutdown or other unconventional things, anyway i always have a backup for such cases.

D

Deleted member 74454

Thread author
I observed that VMs dont reflect totally a real system: same OS setup, same softs, same test, different results...
Indeed RX like any soft isnt perfect, the few times it screws me was when i did repeated hard shutdown or other unconventional things, anyway i always have a backup for such cases.
It all balances out, pros and cons to both, it really is just a matter of preference.. I tend to set my guest machines up as close to a normal system as possible, including items like older framework ect. I like being able to keep my testing contained from effecting my main system no matter what, so daily tasks are never interfered with. My significant other, well, she 2nd's this, with one of those looks like i better keep em separated "song just flashed through my head lol"...

Seriously though, on a shared machine, this set up is max efficiency.

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
My security configuration. I keep it light and simplified for family members, and of course for my own sanity.
A solid and light configuration there my friend. I too use EIS. I will have to take a lot at the SysInspector. While I do not have any doubt over the detection and removal capabilities of ESET, I do wish ESET had some more prevention features which Kaspersky Internet Security has like the System Watcher and the Application Control because I believe that Prevention is Better than Cure. One thing you could keep is the free version of Malwarebytes as an on-demand scanner and use it to scan once a week in case ESET misses anything(although I highly doubt that it will miss any) and since you know what you are doing with your computer, you yourself are the best defence :)

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Thread author
Thank you, for those that like the configuration. Eset IS is a power house in capable hands, it is literally all one needs.

I've actually just started revisiting Eset IS and playing around with HIPS as I really didn't take the time to learn it in the past, but I must say I can see why it's very powerful! I've always liked Eset, they make one of the best products out there (especially if its tweaked) and its very light weight! Last time I used it I paired it up with OSArmor as I was to lazy to make rules in HIPS, but if one takes the time to do so you don't need OSA at all, its fine all by it's self.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.