qftest's private config

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Keep those backups up to date and all looks good to me ;)

Thanks for sharing. :)

Reactions: Online_Sword

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
McAfee VirusScan Enterprise contains a firewall.
Consider adding a couple more on demand scanners such as MBAM,Emsisoft Emergency Kit and or ESET Online Scanner
Consider adding an additional browser
Consider uBlock Origin in Chrome as well as HTTPS Everywhere
Thanks for sharing your config :)

Reactions: Online_Sword

qftest

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 22, 2015
Consider adding a couple more on demand scanners such as MBAM,Emsisoft Emergency Kit and or ESET Online Scanner
Consider adding an additional browser
Consider uBlock Origin in Chrome as well as HTTPS Everywhere
Thanks for sharing your config :)
I use VSE8.8p6, no EPO, do not contain firewall components, and CFW no conflict.
FF not used to ...:(
"HTTPS Everywhere" Expand Very good, thank you recommended.:)Happy.

D

Deleted member 178

Approved by Staff

2s9jymOt.jpg

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015

As far as I know, virusscan enterprise is only one module of the entire enterprise endpoint package of mcafee.

That package also contains another application called Host Instruction Protection. This one, rather than virusscan enterprise, is often considered as the firewall.

I have ever tried mcafee virusscan enterprise. I know that with virusscan enterprise we can make customized rules to control the access of executable files to the network ports. But in my opinion, I think those rules cannot be viewed as a full-featured firewall. Please correct me if I misunderstand here.:)

But I agree that OP's config might be a little redundant.:D

@qftest :

Well, we know that the windows firewall under the default settings has no outbound filter, which in fact can be implemented with the port rules of virusscan enterprise.

So, virusscan enterprise + windows firewall will be a more light-weighted combo, if you are experienced in making rules with virusscan enterprise.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only using comodo is also a good choice in my opinion. Of course the application control of mcafee virusscan enterprise is very powerful. However, some customized rules made with the application control can be implemented more easily with comodo hips.

Yes, the hips of comodo might not be easy to use. But the application control of virusscan enterprise is more complicated. In particular, in virusscan enterprise, you can make a rule like:

Code:
Preventing any memebers in the set A except all the memebers in the set B to take any operations in a set C to the Object D

The problem (of the application control in virusscan enterprise) is that:

1. "D" can only contain exactly one element. Of course you can make a rule to prevent A.exe from writing to all text files by setting D as
Code:
*.txt
However, if you want to prevent A.exe from writing to "D:\test1.txt" and "E:\test2.doc", then you need two rules.

2. You cannot make an exclusion from "D". Consider the case that there are 100 sub-folders under "D:\test\", which are called "D:\test\sub1", "D:\test\sub2", ... "D:\test\sub100". Now I hope to make a rule that prevents A.exe from writing to all sub folders except the first one. In such case, I am afraid that, we have to make 99 rules...

3. You can make path-based rules in virusscan enterprise. Digital sign and hash codes cannot be used.

4. The usage of wildcard is not unified. In some places you have to use "*\test\**" to represent "D:\test", while in some other places you have to use "?:\test\**"...:(
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please note that some features of spyshelter premium is also implemented in comodo, such as HIPS and anti-keylogger.

Compared with spyshelter, with comodo you can make more granular HIPS rules, and I hear comodo has a better support to the 64-bit OS.

So, I think using comodo along with spyshelter will not significantly improve the security. That is why I think your config is a little redundant.:)

As what is often mentioned in wilderssecurity, "less is more".;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Purshu_Pro

qftest

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 22, 2015
All posts must be written in English so please translate it, so that other people can understand what you write.
Those who are complex and logical, say not good, it is easy to cause misunderstanding.
Try it in the future.

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
Hi, @qftest .:) First, I think it is required by the forum rules that:
All posts must be made in English with proper spelling and punctuation.

So in the following, when I quote your post, I would translate it into English.

One hips rule of comodo for a file group can replace several rules made by mcafee virusscan enterprise.

Yes, that is just why I say the application control of virusscan enterprise is more complicated.:)

By contrast, the default rules in virusscan enterprise which are related to the registry items and paths are difficult to implement in comodo.

I cannot agree on this. You may know that, the actual effects of the default rules have already been known. For example, consider the famous default rule:

“Make all shares read-only”

Its actual effect is to prevent the included processes (in the default setting it is system:remote) from writing and executing anything. It is not quite difficult to implement this in comodo.

If you want to protect the registry items, it can also be done with comodo by combining hips rules with Protected Object -> Registry Keys.

The powerful AD (application defender?) of virusscan enterprise can easily block unknown applications from running, without answering the hips alerts.

You can simply block the unknown executable files with the auto-sandbox of comodo with no need to answer any pop-ups.:)

Here is a video review made by cruelsister on this: Video Review - Comodo Firewall 8 2 0 4508 Setup and Test Part 2.

Virusscan enterprise has no firewall.

Well, as mentioned by my previous post, you can filter the outbound traffic by making some customized port rules with virusscan enterprise.

In such case, virusscan enterprise + windows firewall can provide decent protection...I guess.:D

Comodo cannot block system files in the safe mode.

Changing the reputation of the system file to "Unrecognized" can efficiently solve this problem in our tests, even after the cloud lookup is enabled.:)

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.