Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Manzai

Thread author
Hello :)

Are you like ESET or Qihoo ;)

For me

ESET : Good detection, very light but bad in 0-day malware (No configuration)

Qihoo : Very good detection, light but too many false positive and update for BD and Avira engine (1 update / day )

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@nissimezra Actually you would find that my post is in fact on topic, so before replying look at the first post and then follow the thread through to see (nsm0220) replying to my posts about Zero-day malware.

But let's say my post was off-topic, why did you bother replying stating you use a non-updated OS or Apps (PS: I don't personally care that you don't), but more so, doesn't that make you one to participate in off-topic discussions too. :rolleyes:

Reactions: nissimezra

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
:)
I am not in love with UAC so you can disappoint me with the fact that UAC cannot always protect you.
And that's true. But it reduce chances that something will run on the PC unnoticed.

agree.

Qihoo copies detections? I am miss something here, huch? Qihoo have one of the best heuristics in the world and qihoo is most off the time one of the vendors that detect malwares before any other vendor. often it is the first one.Qihoo is the biggest av vendor in asian. im pretty sure they dont copie detections like baidu or other "avs", realy.
who cares if it copies or not as long as it does the job.
the most important thing for me thats it's light very light the 360IS, though i wouldn't use the TS version.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
@nissimezra Actually you would find that my post is in fact on topic, so before replying look at the first post and then follow the thread through to see (nsm0220) replying to my posts about Zero-day malware.

But let's say my post was off-topic, why did you bother replying stating you use a non-updated OS or Apps (PS: I don't personally care that you don't), but more so, doesn't that make you one to participate in off-topic discussions too. :rolleyes:
I just replayed to a member post, and didnt say of topic coz its not, the main discussion was who will do better.

no hard filling and lets enjoy discussion off or not
cheers

Malware1

Level 76
Sep 28, 2011
Qihoo copies detections? I am miss something here, huch? Qihoo have one of the best heuristics in the world and qihoo is most off the time one of the vendors that detect malwares before any other vendor. often it is the first one.Qihoo is the biggest av vendor in asian. im pretty sure they dont copie detections like baidu or other "avs", realy.
They do copy, it's done by almost each vendor. I'm not talking about cloud, I'm talking about the local engine.

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
One thing is using another's company Engine so it's perfectly legal and I would say why not?. If they have the money to pay the right to use it, then go for it. Different story would be manually copying what other's signatures catch and traslating that illegaly into their own Uber antivirus engine signatures. In this scenario I would call copy on the second one, I'm okay with the first one, Like Gdata, Emsisoft, an the great amount of AV outhere that use other's AV engine.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
One thing is using another's company Engine so it's perfectly legal and I would say why not?. If they have the money to pay the right to use it, then go for it. Different story would be manually copying what other's signatures catch and traslating that illegaly into their own Uber antivirus engine signatures. In this scenario I would call copy on the second one, I'm okay with the first one, Like Gdata, Emsisoft, an the great amount of AV outhere that use other's AV engine.
And most of them are using Bitdefender engine, like it's on sale :D
There is no AV that could get engine or definitions from Kaspersky, ESET or Norton (PC Tools used to use Norton definitions in the past)

noelis

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I like Qihoo , because it is intuitive to use and makes no problems under windows 8.1. Further , it is interesting to me the software and to track their progress.

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
btw eset zero day protection doesn't work unless you config it which most users won't do when using an av its more like set and forget
agree, even if you config ESET it become buggy. I tried it doesnt help
for now the best free AV on the market is 360IS and one of the paid

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
agree, even if you config ESET it become buggy. I tried it doesnt help
for now the best free AV on the market is 360IS and one of the paid

If you set HIPS to Interactive, which is most people do in order to "Have supposed improved zero day protection" all you get is an annoying behavior which you'll get up to 200 pop's up /hour. The most logical decision would be to have a clean machine, and run "Learning mode for a couple of days or a week", then switching to Interactive mode would be painless or at least acceptable.
In my case I didn't the above, I just added some registry keys which I would like to be notified in case of being modified, plus the major useful And less pop up common "Install global hook, Load driver" and "Debbuging another application, Intercept events from another application, Modify state of another application". I got a few interactions which some applications that used the above noted behaviors, some games which silent antihack tried to modify applications running in the memory,etc. But as I said, just a few ones so creating the rules for them was simple and effective. Then I tested this config preset against most of the files uploaded on these forums and it did great. The fun fact is that half the samples where mostly harmless.

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
If you set HIPS to Interactive, which is most people do in order to "Have supposed improved zero day protection" all you get is an annoying behavior which you'll get up to 200 pop's up /hour. The most logical decision would be to have a clean machine, and run "Learning mode for a couple of days or a week", then switching to Interactive mode would be painless or at least acceptable.
In my case I didn't the above, I just added some registry keys which I would like to be notified in case of being modified, plus the major useful And less pop up common "Install global hook, Load driver" and "Debbuging another application, Intercept events from another application, Modify state of another application". I got a few interactions which some applications that used the above noted behaviors, some games which silent antihack tried to modify applications running in the memory,etc. But as I said, just a few ones so creating the rules for them was simple and effective. Then I tested this config preset against most of the files uploaded on these forums and it did great. The fun fact is that half the samples where mostly harmless.
thx for the tips
For me it will be easier just to install 360IS, no config and does the job better than eset and much much cheaper

Reactions: darko999
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.