Qihoo360 is Ranked No.1 in Software Industry for Vulnerability Detection and Protection Capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
I want to share my experience with 360 TS
I can confirmed that my windows was up to dated (not the optional one) but when I scanned it with 360 TS, it saying that my windows wasn't up to dated, 360 detected vulnerabilities on my ms office and pdf, and 360 gonna patched these issues, I updated it though 360 TS and once it's done..my windows was saying that my windows isn't up to dated, and even said I never update it, I was nervous..then I re-scan it again (windows update) then it back to normal. So..if I may take a conclusion here..360 TS didn't updated my whole OS, it's just detected my missing windows update, so it's not a "fake" windows update, it seems legit, the result may be different for anyone who never updated his/her windows though. maybe anyone can share different experience?

35mjzit.jpg

And regarding this "China" (not chinese, I'm not a racist, in fact I have a lot of chinese friends) I think not everyone is bad just based from his/her country, I could be wrong though..true or not..it's only a matter of time, but for now Qihoo looks good to me, and I hope they always be.

And for anyone who don't want multiple Av engines, or just don't like "BD" I think you can just simply turn it off (like me :))
According to my experience 360 IS or 360 TS didn't rely it's detection to BD or Avira engine, my guess both BD and Avira engine only active once you are offline or they missed something? besides qihoo cloud engine already good ;)
Yes I too have to wonder how come a security soft can gives you better Windows Updates than Windows Update itself, hmm business perhaps? or something bigger than this? or more probably just a small thing like...let's say a user forgot to choose "automatic update" on his/her windows or office products? this also make me curious :D

But for now..I see Qihoo already saved many people, especially those who still using old windows xp, and the best thing it's free, not everyone can afford to buy a security product, and even if they can...there are many paid softwares out there, not only an AV program, the word "saving" here it's not just saving people from being infected, but also "saving" their wallet :p:rolleyes:
At least it would decreased piracy here, at least everyone can get the so called "internet security suite" for free without using those nasty cracks. :)

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Sorry, but I think what you are saying is foolish. Would Qihoo, Microsoft's brand new partner, the one who has most actively helped MS patch their OS, really offer fake updates so they could spy on users?

Please read other posts about Qihoo 360 Total Security patch feature messing up Windows Updates, there are several posts on this forum even one is this thread that got Windows Updates corrupted using this patch feature. I Googled and found even more users that got corrupted Windows Updates using the patch feature.

My advice only get your Windows Updates from Windows own update component.

Enjoy!! :D

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Please read other posts about Qihoo 360 Total Security patch feature messing up Windows Updates, there are several posts on this forum even one is this thread that got Windows Updates corrupted using this patch feature. I Googled and found even more users that got corrupted Windows Updates using the patch feature.

My advise only get your Windows Updates from Windows own update component.

Please, if it's bugged it's one problem, but if it installs backdoors it's another. Don't mix these two things. Thanks.

D

Deleted member 178

also i don't say Qihoo is a bad product , just i don't trust Chinese softwares about privacy (because we talk about a chinese product) , i can say the same for microsoft lol , but China is among the well known privacy breakers in the world. (of course via the local political context ).

and honestly , if a product (chinese or not) tell me that my up-to-date Windows is not up-to-date, what i should think:

1- Windows lies to me and misinformed me, letting me think i am fully patched and updated where i'm not?!!
2- the software lies to me just to show off their new "vulnerability patching feature" and gain market shares...so why ask me to download patches from "i-don't-know-where".

i prefer not Windows lies to me...what all of you prefer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Littlebits

rebel4life

Level 9
Verified
Sep 30, 2012
im using 360 internet security just trying to find a good firewall i dont trust windows products

Reactions: Kent

rebel4life

Level 9
Verified
Sep 30, 2012
i will when i find someone here to come to my place and sit down and go through the set up for a dual boot

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
i will when i find someone here to come to my place and sit down and go through the set up for a dual boot
It is actually a very easy process to dual boot any OS Linux included.There are good comprehensive instructions on how to accomplish it on the internet with a basic computing background

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
How come a security soft can gives you better Windows Updates than Windows Update itself... i wish someone can explain it to me ^^

How come? Because Microsoft has become a fat, lazy company! Yes, they have some good folks, like Mark R. the Sysinternals guy. But just think about how they sat back and allowed Internet Explorer to be an abysmal product for years on end. I've been appalled by some of the companies and products I've seen touting their Microsoft partner status. I've never had Qihoo, so I am neutral about the strife here over its Microsoft updates. However I will repeat that I have gotten genuine Windows updates from Comodo Programs Manager and from a couple of other third party programs specializing in Windows update. These are updates that Microsoft failed to deliver to me despite my having its automatic updates turned on. I trust God. I don't trust Windows Update; not nearly on the same level. I have also read that some Windows updates have been so bad that installing them was like installing malware.That was in a book from way back in the XP heyday: I hope things have been better in recent times.

I will stay with Windows for the foreseeable future for one reason and one reason only : because that's where the good third-party software is. Otherwise I would gladly chuck it for Linux or maybe Apple.

Can you prove me im wrong? Until then, no way i trust a chinese product about privacy. I live near China in another "open" communist country and sorry but communism and spying are a long time couple. And china is well known to play dirty.

About Qihoo and microsoft as i said earlier it is just for business until one definitely screw the other, and i dont put yet geopolitic in the mix.

Now you can say im a fool , but i like to say :

Better be a paranoid fool than a smart victim

I just think there is more money (and less lawsuits and punishments) in staying legit than in betraying a company that has the backing of the US, all the while you are doing international business in full view of the global community. Why would Qihoo backdoor their own users? That would be a 100% sure way to destroy the company, should an auditor or a competing company one day manage to reveal the truth. And talking about severe governments, can you imagine what the Chinese government would do to Qihoo CEO Hongyi Zhou if it became public that they were backdooring millions of Chinese users?

And to entertain the possibility that they might be actually doing this, why would they first produce fake Windows updates and then wait for the user to install them in order to be backdoored?

The thread is about Qihoo , major brand in China, and in a communism countries, you cant be a top company without be related and affiliated to some government members, then my personal opinion.

Right or not only the future will tell

I must say, I see a lot of merit in both of these viewpoints that are in friction here. If I had to place a bet, I would bet that Qihoo is not engaging in actual wrongdoing against its users. But I don't trust the regime of the People's Republic of China. It is a Communist regime. People are unhappy with Western governments for things like the comprehensive NSA data collection begun after 9-11. Eavesdropping by democratic governments outside their borders for the sake of monitoring hostile governments and violent nonstate actors has been going on for much longer and is an unavoidable fact of life. But those who know history know that there has always been a real fundamental difference between democratic governments and Communist governments. Communist governments are simply criminal in nature. They really do play dirtier, a lot dirtier. Karl Marx said "We Communists teach no ethics." Just lately the PRC regime has been vigorously suppressing all mention in China of the brutal massacre it perpetrated on its own patriotic young people in 1989. I would not put it past the PRC regime to require a top private company in China to engage in criminal behavior as the price for continuing in business. Western governments hacked Iran's nuclear program, and I applaud that. But the PRC is known to be tied to true criminal hacking that has no national security justification.

I would like the PRC to allow some kind of especially strong outside inspection/monitoring of its computer software companies that would allow the rest of the world to have confidence that they they are upright and are truly being allowed to operate independently of the regime.

As for the "racism" nonsense, I would point out that the PRC is only one of three Chinese countries. The other two are democracies, Singapore and Taiwan. Also in Malaysia the Malays run the government but the large and more industrious Chinese minority runs the economy. Beyond the three Chinese states there is a huge Chinese diaspora in the world.

Last edited:

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Please, if it's bugged it's one problem, but if it installs backdoors it's another. Don't mix these two things. Thanks.
I believe the problem is caused by bugs, the patch feature is new probably hasn't been tested properly. So far Qihoo does not have a beta program that I'm aware of and they don't have an English forum only Facebook support which most users would not use.

I compared the results of the patches offered by the patch feature and compared it to my Windows Updates.
Most of the updates were already installed on my system and the patch feature failed to recognize them check your Windows Update history and Installed Updates and verify that those updates are not already installed.
The other updates offered were not for my system at all, some were for only x32-bit Windows, some were for Vista.
My system is Windows 7x64-bit. Even others were performance fixes that only applied to systems experiencing problems with certain issues, they should only be applied if the issues are present on that system. These are available on Microsoft Fixit website.

Should you trust the patch feature, I say no because installing the wrong updates could cause a lot of problems.
The performance fixes should not be installed to systems not experiencing problems, no need to fix what is not broken.

Sooner or later if you use third-party products to install Windows Updates you will have problems especially with new products with bugs.

Several members have already reported corrupted Windows Updates from using the patch feature that should be enough to warn the rest of you that it could happen to your system as well.

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
I temporary uninstalled Avast just installed 360 Total Security to check it out to see if it is as good as many members claim it to be.
After the first system reboot my system was lagging pretty bad.
I forget to tell u, if u untick " monitor all files type " under "active protection, settings then qihoo will take less CPU usage & system will feel less laggy.

Malware1

Level 76
Sep 28, 2011
Reactions: Koroke San
F

ForgottenSeer 19494

Why not? An antivirus should detect the malware, or do you think that it shouldn't?:eek::confused::eek::confused:

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Is this sample in question harmless for any system? Is it not malware? Is it FP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.