Advice Request Questions Regarding uBlock Origin Hard Mode

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

PotentialUser

Level 1
Thread author
May 28, 2020
Hello everyone,

I used to use Adblock Plus + NoScript back in the day but recently heard about uBlock Origin providing similar capabilities in its "Hard Mode." You can read about Hard Mode on uBlock's official GitHub here -- [URL: gorhill/uBlock]

I have some questions that I have numbered below:

According to the GitHub page, you need to add the following in the My Rules pane to enable Hard Mode:
* * 3p block
* * 3p-script block
* * 3p-frame block

1. How exactly does one do that? Do you copy + paste the three text blocks above into the Temporary rules section of uBlock's Dashboard (since you can't edit the Permanent rules section AFAIK) and then click the Padlock icon on the main uBlock screen to make these temporary rules permanent?

2. And what exactly is the difference between enabling those three rules manually versus just making the 3rd-party, 3rd-party scripts, and 3rd-party frames blocks RED in the Global Cell like this? Shouldn't that have the same effect as typing the three text blocks above into My Rules in uBlock's Dashboard?

Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 1.46.41 PM.png

--
3. Is uBlock Origin in Hard Mode fairly equivalent to the Adblock Plus + NoScript combo? I don't mind websites breaking and having to manually figure out which domains can run scripts and load content. That's actually the fun part; it's like a game of whack-a-mole. I just want to confirm that enabling Hard Mode in uBlock Origin really is comparable (security and privacy-wise) to how the Adblock Plus + NoScript combo operated back in the day.

I do have more questions but I'll ask them later after I've had more time to learn about how to use this addon. Thank you to anyone who replies!

Last edited:
Reactions: Protomartyr

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
And what exactly is the difference between enabling those three rules manually versus just making the 3rd-party, 3rd-party scripts, and 3rd-party frames blocks RED in the Global Cell like this?
There's no difference. Just set the rules as in your figure and click padlock, which will auto-write those 3 rules. And yes, you can edit permanent rules.

Here is what gorhill says:
gorhill/uBlock
"Roughly similar to using Adblock Plus with many filter lists + NoScript with 1st-party scripts/frames automatically whitelisted + RequestPolicy with 1st-party resources automatically whitelisted."

That's pretty clear to me. I can't personally comment on the NS combo you mentioned since I never used it. There are probably more users of NS at wilders and an active thread.

PotentialUser

Level 1
Thread author
May 28, 2020
There's no difference. Just set the rules as in your figure and click padlock, which will auto-write those 3 rules.

Here is what gorhill says:
gorhill/uBlock
"Roughly similar to using Adblock Plus with many filter lists + NoScript with 1st-party scripts/frames automatically whitelisted + RequestPolicy with 1st-party resources automatically whitelisted."

That's pretty clear to me. I can't personally comment on the NS combo you mentioned since I never used it. There are probably more users of NS at wilders and an active thread.

I was hoping you would respond @oldschool since I've seen you mention you use uBO. Thanks!

So just to be clear -- I should make the Global cells of 3rd party, 3rd-party scripts, and 3rd-party frames all RED (exactly as in the image I posted). And then I hit the padlock icon to make these three changes permanent. Is this correct?

And this should essentially make uBO operate like NS in that the approach to most websites will be default-deny (so most sites will break) and then I can manually go in and begin allowing specific domains to load on the broken website to un-break it, right?

And yes I will ask my other questions in the thread you linked! :)

Reactions: Protomartyr

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Also this thread NoScript, uMatrix, uBlock Origin: Medium/Hard Mode

"µBO @ medium mode, Gorhill's preferred mode. It allows me to keep my filter list configuration very small and easy enough to navigate for my surfing style. It doesn't break my usual news sites where interaction or rule-making might otherwise be needed. I've created custom rules for interactive sites where needed and my rule list is still compact. When a user wishes or needs to un-break a site but has no time to fix via rules, he can easily fall back with a couple of clicks to easy mode+, with the added benefit of any added custom rules, e.g. globally blocking Google, FB, etc. In those cases, Privacy Possum clean up any extras. This system works for me but not everyone, and depends on your surfing habits. (y)(y)

Check here for developer's guide µBO Wiki - Blocking mode: medium mode.
You may also check this thread for additional links.

Edit: proper use of dynamic filtering, e.g. when and how to apply rules, will avoid pollution of your rule set, i.e. bloat! "

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.