Battle Quickheal Internet Security V/s Avast Internet Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

malbky

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 23, 2011
Ok I have license key of Quickheal and Avast IS. So which one should I use. I would really like comments from users who have used Quickheal. Also I will install SAS pro alongside quickheal. Also can you recommend a free HIPS/ Anti keylogger software.

malbky

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 23, 2011
Actually I am waiting for Stranger to reply. He has used both. BioZefar can you conduct a review of Quickheal IS. Thanks bio.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
If you ask this question in any tech forum avast will get more than 90 % of votes in its favor.
If I have choice between two I will choose avast because.

1...Avast have better detection rate
2....Avast have more features
3....Avast sandbox unrecognized application/files but quickheal has no such choice.
4....Avast have cloud protection.
5...Avast filewall is better with application control.
6...You can know what avast is doing but quickheal lack user friendly option
7...Avast is as light as quickheal
8....Avast is cheaper than quickheal.

The only better service of quickhealcompare to avast is its customer service

P

Plexx

malbky said:
Actually I am waiting for Stranger to reply. He has used both. BioZefar can you conduct a review of Quickheal IS. Thanks bio.

Not waiting for me to reply? :( Feel left out now :p

Anyways, please post the review request on the following thread, otherwise I loose track.

As for Quickheal Internet Security, I actually gave it a test run before I started doing reviews. From the top of my head they had some good and bad points:

External devices scans or protection, USB drive protection, ran about 6 or 7 processes in total less than 25MB if memory serves me right.
They got some tools that launch in separate to the suite like the Anti-Rootkit scanner, Anti-Malware, a browser hijack fix etc. You can also create a rescue disk.

Although they include some sort of browser protection, I never seen it kick in.

They also had something called DNA scan which I had no clue and didn't really explore. The detection rate I cant really remember nor what engine they use (inhouse or external).

Hope this gives you an idea until the review is done.

P

Plexx

Earth said:
Same, but I would vote neither. :D

McLovin said:
Haven't tried QuickHeal so I would have to say Avast.

Too much avast lately for the vote on neither? :p

Thing is I haven't tried Avast IS, so I can't really say but then again, I wasn't impressed at all by QuickHeal back then.

malwarekiller

Mar 30, 2012
Here are some things i observe with QK..

Doesnt even detect things like y.exe or eu.exe as malicious

fails at detecting day to day malware

No 0-day protection at all

QK is only a big giant name in india as the GREATEST AV...But in reality its the biggest FAIL after NPAV!!! :(:(

P

Plexx

malwarekiller said:
Here are some things i observe with QK..

Doesnt even detect things like y.exe or eu.exe as malicious

fails at detecting day to day malware

No 0-day protection at all

QK is only a big giant name in india as the GREATEST AV...But in reality its the biggest FAIL after NPAV!!! :(:(

So mainly because it doesn't have zero day protection (according to you) it automatically brands the suite in the Fail department?

By the way, in case you haven't noticed, OP is from India according to his profile. There is still no harm in trying local products.

You tend to forget one thing: South East Asia market (including India) is different from EU and US. Look at the infections comparisons and you will understand (that is if you know exactly what I am referring to...)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Last I tried Avast Internet Security was like using Avast Free, except a prompt to set-up the Firewall zone. The rest is up to the user to find other features to use.

My default experience may differ to yours. Thanks. :D

Biozfear said:
Thing is I haven't tried Avast IS, so I can't really say but then again, I wasn't impressed at all by QuickHeal back then.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Biozfear: Waiting for your review :)
One more thing Malwarekiller is absolutely right its not because Quickheal is indian poduct or it does not protect zero day malware t lacks many thing which a paid security software should have and it either not cheap as well.

Not only its detection is less than other major name the main negative component of this suite is its firewall.
Something like Trendmicro and webroot type setting where they boost and control windows firewall is ok but here it has it own firewall which makes you turn off windows firewall other 2 firewall will conflict and the quickheal firewall fails by all means.

They claim its silent firewall and yes its silent even when your computer is on risk :p

P

Plexx

Stranger said:
Biozfear: Waiting for your review :)
One more thing Malwarekiller is absolutely right its not because Quickheal is indian poduct or it does not protect zero day malware t lacks many thing which a paid security software should have and it either not cheap as well.

Not only its detection is less than other major name the main negative component of this suite is its firewall.
Something like Trendmicro and webroot type setting where they boost and control windows firewall is ok but here it has it own firewall which makes you turn off windows firewall other 2 firewall will conflict and the quickheal firewall fails by all means.

They claim its silent firewall and yes its silent even when your computer is on risk :p

Only problem here is that malwarekiller didn't specify nor backup his claims like you just did. Basically telling a user it is a fail product without some information is like saying nothing and in a way misleading the user.

+2 for the explanation

Review will be done in due course once I finish McAfee and OP posts in that thread :)

malbky

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 23, 2011
Hmm, so Avast fan has been banned. Bio did some research and testing. Heres what i find. I am no professional so I will still asked Bio to give it a shot.
1- Firewall is poor, but turning on Windows Firewall along with it gives good protection. Windows Firewall does not conflict with quickheals.
2- No slowdowns
3- Great detection of Indian viruses. Not a single miss for my USB tests. Not so great at world wide viruses. Seems strange as they have a reasonable base of American users.
4- Most corporates in India use Quickheal - dunno why
5- Quickheal does have a cloud protection module
6- DNA Scan is behavior analysis+cloud+hueristics. It detected some cracks i transfered via a CD as virus. It also quarantined one file i excecuted, saying suspicious.
7- Firewall is bad as they have recently shifted from Outpost F/w. AV engine is home brewed. So Indian users do get better protection with Quickheal. For the moment I am staying with Avast.
Pssst. Heard from customer support that they will have a better firewall and sandbox in 2013 version which will come in October-November.

P

Plexx

malbky said:
Hmm, so Avast fan has been banned. Bio did some research and testing. Heres what i find. I am no professional so I will still asked Bio to give it a shot.

3- Great detection of Indian viruses. Not a single miss for my USB tests. Not so great at world wide viruses. Seems strange as they have a reasonable base of American users.

You do know that the files for the review will not be regional right?

I can tell you that the packs I will use are the 109 and 91 from ReviewsAntivirus. I know they are a bit older but if some are not detected, it can give us an idea how QuickHeal will react to them.

If you don't mind with such conditions, I will go ahead with it. As for the firewall, you will need to draw your own conclusions since I only look at some of the basic reactions of the firewall (for all the IS reviews I have done which were not much).

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Hi,
Malbky:
1.Its not good idea to to have two firewall on even if they don't conflict and One have to add windows firewall control to control application.So you have 3 software for doing 1 job, Not a great idea.
2.Indeed but avast do not slow down as well.
3.You should have Global protection level and Indian virus signature are quite in small amount compare to International one and we don't only play cd dvds and insert pendrive on computer but with web browsing we need better detection av.
4...Result of Marketing even they are dearer than all antivirus except webroot in indian market.
5...Yes but quite inferior.
6...Its like HMP where cracks are mostly traceable as cracks don't have digital signature and they reports software without digital signature as threat.
7..Great News for user and fan

Biozfear:
I don't see its good idea to use malware pack which is sometime older and specially announcing before that you use this malware pack for testing that av as in between if someone report the pack to vendor detection rate gradually goes up.

P

Plexx

Stranger said:
Biozfear:
I don't see its good idea to use malware pack which is sometime older and specially announcing before that you use this malware pack for testing that av as in between if someone report the pack to vendor detection rate gradually goes up.

I announced it because I was really hoping to have the review started by this moment, unfortunately, well there has been issues with the current review.... long story short, driving me nuts!

I'll see what pack of malware I will use.

malbky

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 23, 2011
Lol, not reporting to quickheal. Bio go with any random packs. Stranger all main infected websites in Indian region is properly caught. Just found out Aunt's biz firm using quickheal from 3 years on XP and no infections till date. I also like to see real world users. See as far as my common sense goes Quickheal is used by many corporations so should not have lack luster detection. Yes agreed on the DNA scan point. Read some where that they have no actual behaviour capabilities and Quickheal just detects all unsigned files as viruses. Biozefar also check this point out in your review. Atm I am staying with Avast. By the way stranger you from India right?, so can you tell me where you can get Avast IS. Thanks.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Biozfear:Its ok and eagerly waiting for the review.

One More negative point of Quickheal is its Giant installer which is nearby 300 mb and 100 mb updates whereasavast have 115 mb installer with 10-20 mb update.

One can use Quickheal along with Hitman Pro and malwarebytes and I suggest to use its antivirus version along with good firewall.

My cousin brought this av even I offer him license of almost all av for free :D

This is the only av I used in my life which have no custom installation and other is Webrootsecureanywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.