Advanced Security R3j3ct's PC Security Config

Original forum configuration · expand details
Last updated
Dec 20, 2025
Main use of this computer
For home and private use
Operating system
Other
OS version and support details
Linux Mint 22.2 x86_64
On-device encryption
Not applicable
Device sign-in security
    • Account password
Security updates
Allow security updates
Update channels
Allow stable updates only
User Account Control (UAC)
Not applicable - not running Windows
Smart App Control
Not applicable / not available on this device
Network firewall
Enabled
Router and network details
tp- link ax1500
Real-time protection
ME - "The User"
Device firewall
Built-in Firewall for Mac/Linux
Custom security settings
UFW Firewall
- Incoming set to deny
- Outgoing set to allow
Apparmor /Firejail
Set Cloned MAC address to random for WiFi
Maldet+Inotify
Rkhunter
Chkrootkit
Fail2Ban
Disabled Cups
Disabled Avahi
mild kernel and system hardening
Periodic malware scanners
VirusTotal
Hybrid-Analysis
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Environment for malware testing
N/A
Browsers and extensions
Firefox (Firejailed) Launcher command: firejail --noroot --nogroups --seccomp --nonewprivs --private-tmp --private-cache --private-dev --dns=9.9.9.9 firefox -no-remote
- Ublock Origin
- Privacy Badger
- Malwarebytes Browser Guard
Brave Browser (Flatpack)
- Ublock Origin
- Privacy Badger
- Malwarebytes Browser Guard
Both set to: Strict, https only, Clean when closed
Ublock Origin Filters: Enabled AdGuard's filters
Secure DNS
quad9
Desktop VPN
Torguard ( Public or Guest Wifi )
- Killswitch ON
- Quad9 DNS
Password and passkey manager
KeePassXC
Maintenance tools
Ubuntu Cleaner & Stacer
File and photo backups
TimeShift & Extenal SSD
Subscriptions
    • None
System recovery
TimeShift
Usage and exposure
    • Visiting familiar websites
    • Online shopping and card payments
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
    • Streaming from untrusted sites
Computer specs
Lenovo ThinkPad L440
CPU: Intel i5-4300M (4) @ 3.300GHz
GPU: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor
Memory: 12 gig
SSD
Notable changes
12/17/2025
- ClamAV integration with LMD( Linux Malware Detect ) little too much on resources so removed, but that's what testing and learning is all about!

-Mild Kernel Hardening
Feedback preference

Showcase only - no advice requested

Good to see you are using timeshift, excellent program. With apparmor are you running standard security profile, or is yours custom, have you added profile extras, if so what issues did you run into that needed corrected via applications.

chrootkit vs rkhunter.
chrootkit only scans for rootkits on the local host whereas rkhunter verifies consistency of a configuration, symlinks in file system, open TCP sockets on a localhost ect. I personally use rkhunter.

There is also a tool called Lynis you can look into, a paid and free version. It is a system auditing tool that can help you learn of CVE's and harden your system.
 
Good to see you are using timeshift, excellent program. With apparmor are you running standard security profile, or is yours custom, have you added profile extras, if so what issues did you run into that needed corrected via applications.
I am just running standard security profiles, i didn't want to try any custom or profile extras mainly cause i'm lazy and don't want to fix/deal with any experimental profiles.

There is also a tool called Lynis you can look into, a paid and free version. It is a system auditing tool that can help you learn of CVE's and harden your system.
yea, i forgot to run Lynis, might get to that today!
 
I am just running standard security profiles, i didn't want to try any custom or profile extras mainly cause i'm lazy and don't want to fix/deal with any experimental profiles.


yea, i forgot to run Lynis, might get to that today!
Not much point in running Linus if you do not wish to finagle and mess with the system, as it requires quite a bit to "harden" the system, Linus just shows you where it needs to be done.
 
lmao, i hear you! but i ran lynis to just see! lynis gave me a score of 70 which i think i just fine for what i use this for...never the less, being new to linux full-time that is, i always want and accept knowledge! i was at 60+ before i ran lynis, i added fail2ban & debsum i think it was, checks hashes of software i think...is there anything i should be paying attention to and am not doing it already?
 
lmao, i hear you! but i ran lynis to just see! lynis gave me a score of 70 which i think i just fine for what i use this for...never the less, being new to linux full-time that is, i always want and accept knowledge! i was at 60+ before i ran lynis, i added fail2ban & debsum i think it was, checks hashes of software i think...is there anything i should be paying attention to and am not doing it already?
I would state you are more than likely fine other than watching those URLs since you do your banking and buying online.
 
Switched to the Xanmod kernal, Quad9 DNS - Set Quad9 in firefox by using system dns & Torguard had option to use Quad9, Malwarebytes Browser Guard.

Seen the Quad9 & Malwarebytes Browser Guard on a recent post as advice for someone & applied to my system so appreciate it forum!
 
Last edited:
12/12/2025
- Integration of clamav + lmd
-Firefox (Firejailed) Launcher command: firejail --noroot --nogroups --seccomp --nonewprivs --private-tmp --private-cache --private-dev --dns=9.9.9.9 firefox -no-remote
Good configuration on your Linux Mint. (y) I couldn't get clamAV real-time protection to work on Linux Mint. I tried everything and ended up giving up. I could only scan with ClamAV manually through the terminal. Other than that, I like Linux Mint. It was the only distro that worked most stably on my desktop PC out of all the ones I tested.
 
Good configuration on your Linux Mint. (y) I couldn't get ClamAV real-time protection to work on Linux Mint. I tried everything and ended up giving up. I could only scan with ClamAV manually through the terminal. Other than that, I like Linux Mint. It was the only distro that worked most stably on my desktop PC out of all the ones I tested.
Out of all the linux distro's i have tried, linux mint like you said is the only stable reliable choice in my opinion. Plus lots of info out there to help or guide for mint. I'll admit it took work getting clamav installed with LMD (Linux Malware Detect). Mostly just make sure the maldetect/conf.maldet is configured right. I'll admit i used AI to help threw the process but got it done. I used DeepSeek v3.2 if it helps at all.
Nice MINT double deuce version config. Will you be upgrading to ZENA on release or wait?
I have learned its good to wait at least a good month after a new release comes out. Bugs and what not that the masses will find, but after that i plan on upgrading. Wish i would have known about linux back in the day i would have been on linux after win7 lol.
 
Good configuration on your Linux Mint. (y) I couldn't get clamAV real-time protection to work on Linux Mint. I tried everything and ended up giving up. I could only scan with ClamAV manually through the terminal. Other than that, I like Linux Mint. It was the only distro that worked most stably on my desktop PC out of all the ones I tested.
You had Me looking for notes! I couldn't install clamonacc for ClamAV Real-time, so i found it easier to do everything with LMD (Linux Malware Detect), these are the steps that pointed me where i needed to be! Must have winged it from there cause lol
 
You had Me looking for notes! I couldn't install clamonacc for ClamAV Real-time, so i found it easier to do everything with LMD (Linux Malware Detect), these are the steps that pointed me where i needed to be! Must have winged it from there cause lol
Bookmarked in case I'm ever up to the challenge of learning a completely new OS.🤯;):LOL:
 
Bookmarked in case I'm ever up to the challenge of learning a completely new OS.🤯;):LOL:
You don't really need to add security software for a Linux distro, but in case you want to learn a new OS, Linux Mint is very easy to follow as the author of the thread mentioned, and the developer even mentions in the upgrade steps how to remove deprecated libraries/applications/components, something I've never seen in any other Linux distro.
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top