Ran suspicous program and am not sure if I'm clean or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsqrc

Thread author
Jan 20, 2021
Hey all, so in a lapse of judgement I downloaded an .exe and ran it without really thinking of what I was doing. Unfortunately I didn't virustotal the exe before running it so I ended up installing some kind of virus or trojan on my computer (VirusTotal).

Anyways, after the program "failed" to run (missing some .dll file, probably a fake window), I ran the file through virustotal and checked what files it had added and modified, it looks like it followed the same behavior as reported, which is modifying some registry keys and dropping a bunch of files, one which contained my current ip address. In any case, I deleted some of those files and ran the following:

* Malwarebytes
* KVRT
* Hitman Pro
* EmsisoftEmergencyKit

I was wondering if there was way to determine if there's still traces left on my pc, or if any experts know if the program above had any behavior that would cause some sabotage later down the line.

Thanks!

Reactions: upnorth

jsqrc

Thread author
Jan 20, 2021
Here's FRST reports just in case

Attachments

• Addition.txt
    42.9 KB · Views: 9
  • FRST.txt
    54.3 KB · Views: 9

nasdaq

Verified
Staff Member
Nov 5, 2019
Hello, Welcome to BleepingComputer.
I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.

If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.
===

Not malware was found in your logs.

Did you set and see that DisallowRun reported by Malwarebytes.
If you know what is disallowed fine, otherwise clean the item with Malwarebytes or run this fix.

Press the Windows key + r on your keyboard at the same time. This will open the RUN BOX.
Type Notepad and and click the OK key.
Please copy the entire contents of the code box below to the a new file.

Code:
start

CreateRestorePoint:
CloseProcesses:

HKU\S-1-5-21-587742373-4164257733-1939967323-1001\...\Policies\Explorer: [DisallowRun] 1

EmptyTemp:

End

Save the file as fixlist.txt in the same folder where the Farbar tool is running from.
The location is listed in the 3rd line of the Farbar log you have submitted.

Run FRST and click Fix only once and wait.

The tool will create a log (Fixlog.txt) please post it to your reply.
===

Windows Defender is presently Disabled.

It should be Enabled.
How To:

<<>>>

Hope all is well.

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

jsqrc

Thread author
Jan 20, 2021
Hey, nasdaq.

Thanks for the response. Malwarebytes did not catch that registry key edit. I ran the fix and the log is attached. Looks like installing Malwarebytes turned off Windows Defender yesterday. I've re-enabled it.

Thanks for confirming that there's no other remnants. Hopefully whatever got sent when I opened that file isn't going to bite me later down the line.

Attachments

• Fixlog.txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 10
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.