Advanced Security rashmi's PC Security Config

Original forum configuration · expand details
Last updated
Apr 4, 2025
Main use of this computer
For home and private use
Operating system
Windows 11
On-device encryption
Not applicable
Device sign-in security
    • Account password
Security updates
Allow security updates
Update channels
Allow stable updates only
User Account Control (UAC)
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer
Smart App Control
Off
Network firewall
Enabled
Real-time protection
Microsoft Defender
Device firewall
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Custom security settings
Hard_Configurator (Recommended)
ConfigureDefender (High)
FirewallHardening (Recommended H_C)

Windows Defender Firewall: Block all incoming connections, including those in the list of allowed apps
Periodic malware scanners
Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Environment for malware testing
N/A
Browsers and extensions
Chrome
Edge
uBlock Origin Lite
McAfee WebAdvisor
Secure DNS
NextDNS
Desktop VPN
HideAway
Password and passkey manager
Sticky Password
File and photo backups
Copy-Paste
Subscriptions
    • None
System recovery
Hasleo
Usage and exposure
    • Visiting familiar websites
    • Making audio/video calls
    • Opening email attachments
    • Online shopping and card payments
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Requesting and accepting remote access
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
HP Pavilion
8 GB RAM
500 GB HDD
Feedback preference

Suggestions on the main improvements

rashmi

Level 28
Verified
I clean-installed Windows 11 Pro 24H2 and am currently using Microsoft Defender and Firewall. I am deciding between using my preferred Comodo Firewall only or pairing Microsoft Defender with WHHLight Tools or CyberLock. Standalone Microsoft Defender and the pairings slow down the system a bit, while Comodo Firewall runs light. I like WHHLight Tools, but I might choose CyberLock for alerts over silent blocks. I am also considering standalone CyberLock with Always ON mode and some tweaks.
 
I will either choose Comodo Firewall or CyberLock. Defender causes system slowdowns. It delays taskbar appearance on boot and sometimes makes Explorer slow and unresponsive. Some apps also take longer to start. I noticed a 2x increase in backup time.

I have a GlassWire Firewall license. If I opt for CyberLock (Always ON), its zero-trust, smart firewall, and firewall options in WhitelistCloud should be enough. Should I also use GlassWire?

Firefox's color settings are not as pleasant as Chrome's dark mode flag for websites, but I will switch to Firefox, as most sites I visit have dark mode.
 
Last edited:
I have a GlassWire Firewall license. If I opt for CyberLock (Always ON), its zero-trust, smart firewall, and firewall options in WhitelistCloud should be enough. Should I also use GlassWire?
It's a matter of choice re: Glasswire. VS's smart firewall is similar to @Andy Ful's FWH tool. Glasswire will give you fine-grained control of WF.
 
Here's the setup I selected for our kids' Windows 11 Pro laptops:

ConfigureDefender (High)
FirewallHardening (LOLBins + MS Office)
Smart App Control (ON)

I handle all the kids' laptop downloads, installations, and updates. Only signed programs are on the kids' laptops, except for Hasleo Backup, which is unsigned. Should SAC prove troublesome, I'll disable it, set Cloud Protection Level to "Block," and enable "Block executables..." in ConfigureDefender.

Windows Firewall's "Block incoming connections..."—should I turn it on?

I'm considering using either Comodo Firewall or setting up ConfigureDefender with FirewallHardening. SAC blocked the extension of Ant Download Manager, which is an unsigned program. I run unsigned programs and experiment with new software, so SAC won't work for me.
 
Last edited:
You can try enabling all ASR rules on children's laptops (except LSASS if Core Isolation is enabled) and ignoring rare blocks.
SAC can miss some attacks via shortcuts on flash drives (CMD/PowerShell fileless methods), but fortunately, Microsoft Defender is very aggressive against such attacks.
 
Last edited:
Sordum's Defender Control is the only tool that successfully disables and re-enables Defender. I decided not to risk kids' systems using the discontinued Defender Control.

You can install any light AV (accepted by Microsoft) and disable all its shields. Comodo Firewall should work as usual.
 
I much prefer HardConfigurator to WHHL after trying both. GUI access to CD and FH is another plus. The design is neat and well-structured. My laptop's security levels are HC Recommended, CD High, and FH Recommended HC. I'll definitely replace the kids' laptop setup with this. The security config details are now complete.
 
@rashmi do you use comodo only CIS with real-time protection MD deactivated or do you use CF + MD activated? :)
I prefer to use only Comodo Firewall, without Comodo Antivirus, no third-party antivirus or security solutions, and with Microsoft Defender and Firewall disabled. The setup I use is proactive configuration, default containment, and HIPS disabled. I would like to use HIPS, but enabling it occasionally freezes the system.
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top