App Review Real World, Evasive Malware and Performance Test by Trident

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Trident

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
IMG_1281.jpeg

Same in the United States site:

IMG_1282.png

In France:
IMG_1283.png

False

Probably You tried via the download subscription link in official site, but did not find or was not able to find the direct link 🙄🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
Reactions: M4RT1NE2

Trident

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Ok, I must be in one of the EU countries that do not have the new plans available, we re still in the KAV-KIS-KTS league where you just download and activate trial. They must have changed their policy.
Changed or not, they do require credit card and the information in the post is correct (I’ve checked US, UK and France) but if I keep checking it will be many other countries as well. The trial link is not a secret hidden somewhere, it’s well visible on their website and it leads to a form that requires CC.

If there are other download links, they were not easily discoverable. I am not gonna browse the whole website to look for an installer.

Reactions: Nikos751

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Changed or not, they do require credit card and the information in the post is correct (I’ve checked US, UK and France) but if I keep checking it will be many other countries as well. The trial link is not a secret hidden somewhere, it’s well visible on their website and it leads to a form that requires CC.

If there are other download links, they were not easily discoverable. I am not gonna browse the whole website to look for an installer.
If it's not the case, it will be probably be soon, so just an asterisk would be a good idea. Besides, a Kaspersky employee has mentioned in the company's forum "A release is planned for Q2 2023."

Trident

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
If it's not the case, it will be probably be soon, so just an asterisk would be a good idea. Besides, a Kaspersky employee has mentioned in the company's forum "A release is planned for Q2 2023."
Kaspersky failed the test and left the system infected (under default setup). The test is recorded on a video. Not sure why the download options are of extreme importance.

Trident

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
We already are in Q2 as of yesterday.

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Kaspersky failed the test and left the system infected (under default setup). The test is recorded on a video. Not sure why the download options are of extreme importance.
No they are not. we just got into small talk about it, and flooded the thread a little. Your work is awesome, the download options are very minor for most.

Trident

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Takes a few seconds to get this link from the official site: Download Kaspersky Standard Virus Protection for Free 2023 | Kaspersky
Upon typing Kaspersky.com, I am automatically redirected to kaspersky.co.uk.

In the Kaspersky hamburger menu, there is an option “Trials and Downloads”.

IMG_1285.jpeg

Opening that brings this:

IMG_1287.jpeg

And this:
IMG_1288.jpeg

Doing a Google search brings the same result.
IMG_1289.jpeg

The link you’ve given is also to some page that apparently needs to be fixed, as it is all over the place.
IMG_1290.png

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Upon typing Kaspersky.com, I am automatically redirected to kaspersky.co.uk.

In the Kaspersky hamburger menu, there is an option “Trials and Downloads”.

View attachment 274154
Opening that brings this:

View attachment 274155
And this:
View attachment 274156
Doing a Google search brings the same result.
View attachment 274157

The link you’ve given is also to some page that apparently needs to be fixed, as it is all over the place.
View attachment 274158
I have tried this. Visiting Kaspersky(.)com, redirects me to the Kaspersky India website. By following this, I can land on the download page without it asking me for credit card details.
But if I change the localization of the site to UK, following this method leads to a page wanting credit card info.
So it is region based and intended design by Kaspersky. Most people in my region don't have/use credit cards and those who do wouldn't put their details to download an antivirus trial. But people in the western countries would be more willing to put their credit card details.
I have the direct download link of the UK (or any other region) site to get to the download page but it's not possible to get there in a normal way.
Don't know what's the main purpose of Kaspersky changing their trial downloading policy. Kaspersky users don't appreciate the change.
Eugene Kaspersky has said that their sales have suffered a lot in the countries where they were banned like the USA but sold more in some other parts of the world which apparently balanced things out. That's what he said, don't know if they publish the actual figure.

Trident

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
There are few reasons for asking for credit card details from a business point of view.

-You only want to attract consumers who are capable of covering the cost of their subscription. You don’t want users who just go around downloading freebies and then uninstall them.

-Consumers will frequently neglect subscriptions. Often times they will remember about them only after being charged and the hassle of going through support to get a refund is a factor enough (specially a subscription of £20) to just let go and not deal with it.

-Taking card upfront is great way to make sure users installing the product through mobile platforms do not subscribe through the store.

Whatever it is, it is annoying. Sometimes the computer may be infected with keyloggers, you go and download a trial of an antivirus software to help you clean it (not everybody knows the second opinion scanners) and Kaspersky is asking you to put in your credit card details. You then end up entering them on an infected machine or you have to pull your phone out, do it from there and enter your account details at the very least (on the infected machine again). Whatever it is, it is a minor annoyance and as such, it deserves -1 points.

As to Kaspersky, I’ve done what 99.9% of users will do. I’ve opened the site, browsed the menu and clicked “trials and downloads”. I an not obliged to be an encyclopaedia with Kaspersky links.

a090

Level 2
Mar 26, 2023
There are few reasons for asking for credit card details from a business point of view.

-You only want to attract consumers who are capable of covering the cost of their subscription. You don’t want users who just go around downloading freebies and then uninstall them.

-Consumers will frequently neglect subscriptions. Often times they will remember about them only after being charged and the hassle of going through support to get a refund is a factor enough (specially a subscription of £20) to just let go and not deal with it.

-Taking card upfront is great way to make sure users installing the product through mobile platforms do not subscribe through the store.

Whatever it is, it is annoying. Sometimes the computer nay be infected with keyloggers, you go and download a trial of an antivirus software to help you clean it (not everybody knows the second opinion scanners) and Kaspersky is asking you to put in your credit card details. You then end up entering them on an infected machine or you have to pull your phone out, do it from there and enter your account details at the very least (on the infected machine again). Whatever it is, it is a minor annoyance and as such, it deserves -1 points.

As to Kaspersky, I’ve done what 99.9% of users will do. I’ve opened the site, browsed the menu and clicked “trials and downloads”. I an not obliged to be an encyclopaedia with Kaspersky links.

I agree with this. Not a fan of CC trials myself. I get why it’s done, but there are other ways of stopping abuse.

RansomwareRemediation

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2020
Great test. Thanks for the test.
Bitdefender in this test the best. It tends to be very good against scripts.
Kaspersky mediocre result. That kaspersky download policy asking for the card is very similar to Norton's. I do not like it.
I don't know if Avast had a good result or not but it let a malware pass.
F secure I don't like Avira signatures.
Eset mediocre versus sctipts.
Greetings to all.
I would love for Shadowra and Trident to do the test together :3
Bitdefender does not need to be configured because it comes fully loaded.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Fun Fact- From either Indonesia, Singapore, or Poland, one will be directed to the same Southeast Asia server where a trial can be downloaded without any CC input (K seems to think that Warsaw is near Phnom Penh).

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
The is another link provided by K. staff, in this K. Community thread: Kaspersky Free & Trial Downloads - Virus Protection 2023 | Kaspersky

Trident

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
The is another link provided by K. staff, in this K. Community thread: Kaspersky Free & Trial Downloads - Virus Protection 2023 | Kaspersky

From the same link you’ve given. Do you double check your posts normally?

Attachments

• IMG_1293.png
    IMG_1293.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 215

Trident

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Apart from that link from Kaspersky forum, even on the Spanish website, the result doing it in a normal way (through the hamburger menu and then something that contains “descargar”) the result is again this:

IMG_1294.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.