Advice Request Recovery environment Windows 11

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
Hello

How to delete this entry in Windows 11 (recovery environment) - highlighted in red . I appeared such a thing . It looks like an empty entry because when I click on it nothing starts.
1691153887642.jpg

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Step 1. Make hidden and system files available using Folder Options. You need to show hidden hidden files, folders and drives , uncheck Hide extentions for known file types and Hide protected operating system files(Recommended).

To access the Folder Options, there is a little difference in different operating system.

>> In Windows 7: Go to Computer -> Tools -> Folder Options.

>> In Windows 8/8.1/10, Go to This PC -> View -> Options, then you will see a Folder Options window.

Step 2. Copy the full path of winre.wim file. Go to the installation disc -> Source folder, hold Shift key and right click the winre.wim file, then choose Copy as path.

Step 3. Run cmd as admin. Then, type md c:\test\ in the command prompt window and hit Enter, it will create a folder named test on the C: drive.

Step 4. Mount the image file to the created folder using DISM command line.

In Windows 7:

dism /mount-wim /wimfile:"D:\sources\install.wim" /index:2 /mountdir:C:\test\ /readonly ("D:\sources\install.wim" is the location of winre.wim file)

In Windows 8/8.1/10:

dism /mount-image /imagefile:"D:\sources\install.wim" /index:1 /mountdir:C:\test\ /readonly
Step 5. Copy the winre.wim file from the created folder to C:\Windows\System32\Recovery folder. If you are asked to authorize this folder, click Continue to move on.

Step 6. Set the path for winre.wim file. Type the following cmd and run it in the command prompt window.

reagentc /setreimage /path C:\windows\system32\recovery

Step 7. Unmount the install.wim image file using DISM command line. Then, enable the recovery environment and check its status.

In Windows 7: dism /unmount-wim /mountdir:C:\test\ /discard

In Windows 8/8.1/10: dism /unmount-image /mountdir:C:\test\ /discard

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
Hello

How to delete this entry in Windows 11 (recovery environment) - highlighted in red . I appeared such a thing . It looks like an empty entry because when I click on it nothing starts.
View attachment 277604

I f you know what it is, remove it with MsConfig. If you do not, make a system backup so as to be able to go back, and then remove it.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Hello

View attachment 277604
Did you previously have an imaging program installed which created a PE (like the one you have with Hasleo? If you did and then clean installed without using the imaging program to remove the PE then it will survive the clean installation as an orphan which does nothing. It can happen with apps like Aomei Backupper, etc.

Unfortunately I can't offer you a solution.

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
Unfortunately I can't offer you a solution.
@M4RT1NE2 didn't come back with his feedback if he managed to remove the Boot entry? :rolleyes: He probably did, or had to leave to sort out personal and family matters or didn't read our posts for a possible solution. I hope he made it and is ok too.:) @Brahman, @pxxb1 and you offered help and a solution, plus he didn't get back, let's wait.(y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.