Reproducible system lockup when running certain binaries off a network share

MacDefender

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
I've hit this bug a few times while trying to test Emsisoft's behavior blocker. Hopefully @Fabian Wosar is listening here but if not I'd be happy to submit this bug through another source....

Basically I create an .exe that triggers the behavior blocker, place it onto a SMB share, and then try to double-click it. Emsisoft seems like it hangs the whole system in this scenario... My mouse is a spinner and I can't click the start menu, etc.

MacDefender

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
Seems like it might unlock itself in about 10 minutes. If it helps, the file sharing location might disallow deletion which might be affecting the quarantine behavior?

Reactions: Venustus

MacDefender

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
10 minutes looks like it is hitting some form of timeout. We will look into it.

Thanks Fabian, you guys rock as usual :)

I've hit this a few times in the past too but never could figure out what the pattern was until today -- running a binary off a SMB share through windows explorer seems to be what's triggering it.

Reactions: Venustus

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.