Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I use macrium reflect home.
sometimes when I restore a system image, it takes an extra few seconds at the end in order to reboot, and then I see that the EFI firmware has reverted to default settings.
ASUS mobo.

Yes, I restore also the three little partitions that come before the C partition.

What's worse, when this happens I often can't boot into BIOS at all. The menu refuses to open, and if it does eventually open, the boot options won't open.
And every time I start up my computer from then on, the boot process takes longer, until it mysteriously calms down again.

I tried flashing to update the BIOS, but it did not help. ASUS support says I need to replace my BIOS chip.

I know this whole thing is illogical -- what does system image restore have to do with firmware settings??

But it has happened to me several times.

Is there a safer way for me to restore my system?

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
I'm not sure if it can help, but I link you this Booting from GPT : they talk about MBR/ EFI vs. BIOS and pbs

Last edited:

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
If your computer is damadged from a malware attack or there are problems most people are fine just doing a clean OS install. Then putting back on the security programs you use. Then the rest is up to you. :)

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
If your computer is damadged from a malware attack or there are problems most people are fine just doing a clean OS install. Then putting back on the security programs you use. Then the rest is up to you. :)
no malware attack.
I do these restores usually to recover from an ANTI-malware attack -- in other words, if I am not happy with my security config, I will do a system restore.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
SOLUTION:
I took an old HDD and added it to my PC.
I cloned my windows installation onto it.
Then I used EasyBCD to make a multiple boot setup.
When I need to restore, instead of booting into the recovery environment, instead I boot into the old HDD.
I can do the restore operation from there without having to exit windows.
Then I just boot up regular again.
This way I avoid the problematic reboot that is performed from the recovery environment, and my BIOS doesn't have to go through any traumas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.