RIP Gizmo's Freeware

Alexhousek

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Aug 19, 2017
In case you were not aware, Gizmo's Freeware and Techsupportalert.com have shutdown their website. As one of the founding editors/members, it is a sad time for me. The costs to maintain the hosting just became unsustainable. I know that the leadership of the site have been trying to find ways to sustain the site, but just have run out of ideas/options.
RIP Gizmo's Freeware & Techsupportalert.com!

P.S. I apologize if I posted this in the wrong sub-forum. I choose what I thought was the most appropriate and that I had access to.

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
That's unfortunate to hear. I have referred to it to many folks I know whom are not tech-savvy and yet wanted to understand some differences in freeware options. Too all good things must come to an end.

All I can say is, thank you for all these years of service.(y)

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I visited regularly for several years. Update frequency was not very high, but detailed reviews and the introduction of unknown software were very helpful.
A few days ago, I couldn't connect to the site and realized it was time to say goodbye.
Thank you for everything you have done for us. :)

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
I never heard about this site before.
What was it useful for?
It was really good for informative reviews of free software that they tested to give you a good heads-up about them.

Although Gizmo`s covered a wide range of stuff I really liked their security section which had all the apps you`d ever need divided into different categories etc.

So it was an absolute gold mine for a noob like me to stumble across back then...yeah, happy days.

Regards Eck :)

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I never heard about this site before.
What was it useful for?
The categories were presented in a fairly subdivided manner, and a brief review introduced not only the advantages but also the disadvantages.
It was perfect for searching for software from the perspective of 'Is there any software that can do this?'
キャプチャ.PNG
The update continued, but I have the impression that it was a little cluttered because old information was left behind.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I found a successor site:)

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

As posted by others, it was the goto site for freeware because of the easy to read pro's and con's. As said, what killed them was the old info.

They should have 'sinked' old info, so that readers knew it was old irrelevant info, while keeping the pages for search results and ranking.

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
Checked the resurected site ( thanks @show-Zi ) Website seems to provide good free software reviews and more. Forum hasn't take off yet, no many posts and members.
If I remeber correctly it was the first forums I became a member of. And the One Stop Shop to go for great freeware tips.

Last edited:

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Checked the resurected site ( thanks @show-Zi ) Website seems to provide good free software reviews and more. Forum hasn't take off yet, no many posts and members.
If I remeber correctly it was the first forums I became a member of. And the One Stop Shop to go for great freeware tips.
The Gizmo site is simple and easy to read. The previous site had the impression that old information was certainly accumulated too much.
have not heard of it but i am sad anyway
I'm sad to hear that. But don't be pessimistic. Sadness is the spice of fun.:)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.