Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
Nice and simple config!

Norton is a very good choice as your main security suite.You could consider adding an antimalware layer with real time protection, just in case something gets through.( If you don't have a license you can check out the MalwareTips Zemana Antimalware giveaway !)

I would think Norton provides excellent malicious website filtering for you.You could give Noscript addon a chance for filtering in-browser malicious script/XSS/clickjacking attacks.Also,sandboxie free could protect you by keeping system isolated from your browser.

Having a system image backup using windows default backup or a third party software just in case of any failed installations, failed updates, malware attack,BSOD, you can easily revert to the previous state without having to go through the hoops again.(Aomei Backupper free, Macrium Reflect free do very nicely)

Those are just my suggestions! Remember to practice safe browsing ethics and stay updated!

Thanks for sharing:)

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Nice and simple config!

Norton is a very good choice as your main security suite.You could consider adding an antimalware layer with real time protection, just in case something gets through.( If you don't have a license you can check out the MalwareTips Zemana Antimalware giveaway !)

I would consider Norton provides excellent malicious website filtering for you.You could give Noscript addon a chance for filtering in browser malicious script/XSS/ clickjacking attacks.Also,sandboxie free could protect you by keeping it isolated from your browser.

Consider having a system image backup using windows default backup or a third party software just in case of any failed installations, failed updates, malware attack,BSOD, you can easily revert to the previous state without having to go through the hoops again.(Amoemi Backupper free, Macrium Reflect free do very nicely)

Those are just my suggestions! Remember to practise safe browsing ethics and stay updated!

Thanks for sharing:)

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm not really into downloading stuff nor testing malware, so i hardly think i should need more real time protection layers. Still, i'll give it a look to the giveaway to see if Security God wants me to install Zemana. Regarding to the web filtering addon, it seems NoScript is only enabled for Firefox. Any Chrome add on recommended?

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
You have a solid mainstream config.
Norton (I assume you are using "Norton Intrrnet Security") should be more than sufficient for the demands of a user with safe computing habits (limited downloading from suspicious websites, using only verified software, etc).

One thing you need to take note is system images, like other members noted above.
Creating a backup image of a known safe state of your system allows you to restore that exact state in case of a disaster, such as a software malfunction or an infection.

Other than that, you should be good to go.
Thanks for sharing your config with us!

A

Alkajak

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm not really into downloading stuff nor testing malware, so i hardly think i should need more real time protection layers. Still, i'll give it a look to the giveaway to see if Security God wants me to install Zemana.

Nice configuration. Good on you for knowing the kind of setup that you require for your usage. Zemana is a very good companion product to add if you get your hands on a key, hopefully the security god illuminates your path.

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
UPDATE:

Added:

-AdwCleaner as an on demand scanner
-NoBot as an on demand scanner
-ZHPCleaner as an on demand scanner
-Eraser as a privacy software
-Paragon as my backup software (imaged my disk to an external drive)

New:

-Created and configured a virtual machine to participate on MalwareHub (when i get 100 posts)
-Migrated from Windows 7 SP1 to Windows 10 lastest build
-Norton integrated firewall set to maximum level and user-dependant on every single detection

Removed:

-Vivaldi Browser

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
UPDATE:

Added:

-AdwCleaner as an on demand scanner
-NoBot as an on demand scanner
-ZHPCleaner as an on demand scanner
-Eraser as a privacy software
-Paragon as my backup software (imaged my disk to an external drive)

New:

-Created and configured a virtual machine to participate on MalwareHub (when i get 100 posts)
-Migrated from Windows 7 SP1 to Windows 10 lastest build
-Norton integrated firewall set to maximum level and user-dependant on every single detection

Removed:

-Vivaldi Browser
Why did you remove Vivaldi?

1. Install other extensions, like HTTPS Everywhere and Disconnect
  2. Install Sandboxie and use it while browsing, to have more protection.
Other than that you are protected.

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Why did you remove Vivaldi?

1. Install other extensions, like HTTPS Everywhere and Disconnect
  2. Install Sandboxie and use it while browsing, to have more protection.
Other than that you are protected.
Chrome offered me more than i wanted, and i wasn't really using Vivaldi. I'll try your recommendations, thanks!

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
So, what's new?

So far..

-Real Time Protection

• Definitly keeping Avast Free, replaced Norton (gave me performance issues, even had to reinstall Windows after uninstalling)
  • TinyWall Free Firewall added. Really awsome protection. To start with, it blocks everything that tries to connect to the internet, unless whitelist the process or the executable. 100% security.

-On-demand scanner

• Re-added Zemana AntiMalware Free

-Optimizers and stuff

• Added File Shredder to rewrite free space and secure deleted files.
  • Added PatchMyPC to keep software updated
  • NetCut and NetLimiter added to improve my internet features

-Random

• Bought a new router? :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.