Rollback RX users guidelines

Did you follow these advices?

• Total voters

Thread author
Currently no probs. 2-3 times Probs, I meant my experience with Rollback RX 10.4 & 10.5 latest in the recent few months.

Currently I am running latest Rollback Pro 10.5
Avast Internet Security
Adguard Desktop
Win 10 64 Pro

AIS was already installed. I had disabled AIS protection to install Rollback. I have excluded AIS files/folder/processes under Avast exclusion - File Paths, CyberCapture & Hardened Mode.

Exclusions don't matter. It is the disk sector modification that can cause problems. Some AV have problems with it. I don't think it is Avast.

Some AV do not like to be installed into snapshot. Avast can be installed into snapshot. Others can be, but scans will cause BSOD.

It is hard to say what happened on your system.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Exclusions don't matter. It is the disk sector modification that can cause problems. Some AV have problems with it. I don't think it is Avast.

Some AV do not like to be installed into snapshot. Avast can be installed into snapshot. Others can be, but scans will cause BSOD.

It is hard to say what happened on your system.
2 of the probs I had was with Comodo Cloud AV & Driver Talent.

I had excluded/added to trusted, etc files/folder/processes of Rollback in CCAV. I tested CCAV usability by installing few programs. I restarted the system. After restart I got error from Rollback & there was no CCAV & system looked little messy. So I tried to restore to previous snapshot & got Windows screen over & over something like Windows detected probs, try restarting again. I tried another snapshot & got insert Win 10 disc screen.
Only "Base Snapshot" worked But CCAV drivers were still there on the system. I removed CCAV drivers.
Now whenever I install any CCAV version, after completion install mention realtime protection disabled, apply fix. After applying fix & system restart, no probs.
It seems the mentioned prob left some remains of CCAV on the system or dont know?

I tried Driver Talent to repair card reader driver & restarted the system. After system restart got Rollback error. Driver Talent was not there on the system & system was little messy. Tried couple Rollback snapshots but system still was little messy like system looked like some of my custom settings were back to default, start menu had half of the things missing, etc...
Only "Base Snapshot" worked But Windows mentioned to scan disk for errors. Uninstalled Rollback & run chkdsk, no errors were found. Tried sfc /scannow, everything was fine.

Reactions: SHvFl

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015

I had excluded/added to trusted, etc files/folder/processes of Rollback in CCAV. I tested CCAV usability by installing few programs. I restarted the system. After restart I got error from Rollback & there was no CCAV & system looked little messy. So I tried to restore to previous snapshot & got Windows screen over & over something like Windows detected probs, try restarting again. I tried another snapshot & got insert Win 10 disc screen.
Only "Base Snapshot" worked But CCAV drivers were still there on the system. I removed CCAV drivers.
Now whenever I install any CCAV version, after completion install mention realtime protection disabled, apply fix. After applying fix & system restart, no probs.
It seems the mentioned prob left some remains of CCAV on the system or dont know?

I tried Driver Talent to repair card reader driver & restarted the system. After system restart got Rollback error. Driver Talent was not there on the system & system was little messy. Tried couple Rollback snapshots but system still was little messy like system looked like some of my custom settings were back to default, start menu had half of the things missing, etc...
Only "Base Snapshot" worked But Windows mentioned to scan disk for errors. Uninstalled Rollback & run chkdsk, no errors were found. Tried sfc /scannow, everything was fine.
right now I am running CCAV (new version) and Rollback Rx home, and everything seems to be working fine.

Thread author

What you experienced is not unusual with RBRx. It is system specific and varies with installed softs.

It is something that should be taken up with their support at the moment it happens - without rolling system back. Submitting a report via HDS support portal is easy.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
right now I am running CCAV (new version) and Rollback Rx home, and everything seems to be working fine.
Dont know what happened that time?
I tried CCAV again quite a few times but no probs.
Trying CCAV latest now & no probs.

So you too are Rollback user now...its easy/fast to create/restore...good to test stuffs & restore fast to clean snapshot.

Reactions: SHvFl

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Dont know what happened that time?
I tried CCAV again quite a few times but no probs.
Trying CCAV latest now & no probs.

So you too are Rollback user now...its easy/fast to create/restore...good to test stuffs & restore fast to clean snapshot.
I have used it in the past, and am back again.
Rollback is super convenient,
and it protects MBR against petya,
and besides that, I have an issue with Macrium Reflect:
sometimes after a system image restore, my BIOS has a hiccup, and reverts to default settings. That means no intel virtualization, which means I can't run a VM x64.
It is a real pain to reconfigure my BIOS, because it takes forever to open, if it even does, and every change I make, it takes 5-10 minutes for BIOS to react.

Thread author
I have used it in the past, and am back again.
Rollback is super convenient,
and it protects MBR against petya,
and besides that, I have an issue with Macrium Reflect:
sometimes after a system image restore, my BIOS has a hiccup, and reverts to default settings. That means no intel virtualization, which means I can't run a VM x64.
It is a real pain to reconfigure my BIOS, because it takes forever to open, if it even does, and every change I make, it takes 5-10 minutes for BIOS to react.

Based upon what you are saying, your system has issues. So it just might not be RBRx afterall, but with RBRx you never can be sure.

I have seen where RBRx will leave changes to the system even after a rollback. It happens.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Based upon what you are saying, your system has issues. So it just might not be RBRx afterall, but with RBRx you never can be sure.

I have seen where RBRx will leave changes to the system even after a rollback. It happens.
for me, Rollback Rx is actually the solution, not the problem. The problem is most likely a faulty BIOS chip. But since Rollback doesn't enter a PE enviroment to do a restore operation, it doesn't make my BIOS have a fit after the restore is finished.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author

I have experienced this And restoring to the same snapshot again was fine.

shmu26 had BIOS prob with Macrium & not Rollback.

Reactions: SHvFl and shmu26

Thread author
for me, Rollback Rx is actually the solution, not the problem. The problem is most likely a faulty BIOS chip. But since Rollback doesn't enter a PE enviroment to do a restore operation, it doesn't make my BIOS have a fit after the restore is finished.

We don't know what the problem is. I have been using RBRx for a long time and know the history of the product's problems. I actively work with HDS to report problems. Stating that RBRx works OK on your specific system isn't helpful to @Yash Khan.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
We don't know what the problem is. I have been using RBRx for a long time and know the history of the product's problems. I actively work with HDS to report problems. Stating that RBRx works OK on your specific system isn't helpful to @Yash Khan.
Dont worry, I know the pros-cons of Rollback & have read about it on Wilders, here, etc.

I share my experience here to know any info & learn more on the stuffs from experts like you & others here.

Reactions: SHvFl and shmu26
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
that is good to know, I will keep that in mind. @Yash Khan suggested that repeating the procedure can help in such a situation.
I have experienced the scenario with both the software I have used Rollback & AX64 V2.
And with both, restoring to the same snapshot again was fine.

Reactions: shmu26

Thread author
I have experienced the scenario with both the software I have used Rollback & AX64 V2.
And with both, restoring to the same snapshot again was fine.

Same applies to Shadow Defender. I have seen it leave changes on system if a hard restart is performed.

None of these rollback\virtualization solutions are 100 % reliable in my experience - despite what others might state.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I am assuming that ransomware cannot see the hidden partition that Rollback creates, so Rollback should protect effectively, unlike the backups created by most other programs, which could potentially be encrypted.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

EDIT: I think I will broaden out this question and turn it into a separate thread

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 2913
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Umbra,

If chkdsk shows errors, is it safe to fix errors with Rollback Rx installed?

Similarly if sfc /scannow shows integrity violated, is it safe to fix with Rollback Rx installed?

And if Windows 10 detects something & run those troubleshooting on boot, can it mess Rollback?

Win 10 64 Pro

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Venustus and shmu26

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
@Lockdown

Have you tested the latest version released on Feb. 08, 2017? I think it's supposed to have fixed what you experienced. I'm now thinking on installing it again. :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.