Router with best QOS

ng4ever

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
Looking for a router that can handle a lot of activity at once. Downloading, streaming, and surfing the internet all at the same time. Thanks.

Razza

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 12, 2014
A few question to get better idea how good the router need to be.

What's your internet speed and roughly how many device are using it, dose the routar need to have WIFI.

Reactions: ng4ever

ng4ever

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
A few question to get better idea how good the router need to be.

What's your internet speed and roughly how many device are using it, dose the routar need to have WIFI.

50 Mbps download 5 Mbps upload :(

Three all at once at one time. Max up to 6. Yes router needs to have WiFi please. Thanks.

ng4ever

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
I want Steam and Origin download speed traffic to go down in speed when someone is streaming a video on YouTube or Movie on Netflix on another computer or device (phone or tablet). Plus have web browsing be the most important traffic. Also if possible make a specific computer or computers the most important on the network with internet speed and latency.

lab34

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2017
Hello,
if you are not afraid of tweaking, you can install an open source firmware on certain router.

For example, "tomato usb", the version of toastman is perfect.
You can deploy it on some asus router.

QoS is consumming CPU, so be carefull, dig a lot on forums to find a model that fit your throughput.

Tomato Toastman's Releases
QOS Tutorial

If you want something more plug and play, I remember a new concept, but I cannot remember the name.
I will post if I find it...

Reactions: frogboy

orthonovum

Level 3
Verified
Jun 17, 2017
IMHO QoS is usually not needed. In fact even in the enterprise when QoS is enabled for VOIP and Video I think at most I have seen the interface peak @ about 3.5Mbps

Also keep in mind QoS is *only* on egress traffic on all devices so if you have switches they will also need to apply the QoS flags to the packets as they leave the interface on those devices too ;)

Let's say you are using DSCP efs QoS flag so the traffic would look like this:

packets (QoS from router)->switch (re-apply QoS)->endpoint

Reactions: Warrior

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.