Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 25, 2020
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
no video out - fans come on at full power at boot
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Wiped down with mechanics towel and isopropyl alcohol.
Hi,
What would be the best approach if one's RTX2080 somehow got wet cat food dripped onto it and now it doesn't work?
The backplate is really sticky and I think some sauce has gone inside to whatever is under the backplate. Can I just unscrew all the bits and
wash it in the sink?

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hello Cleo :)

Washing in the sink, clearly not! Computer components do not like water at all.
You should already unscrew the heatsink to see if there is sauce or cat food in it and try to clean it.
But if nothing after all that..... RIP RTX 2080 :/

By the way, how did cat food get into the graphics card?

Upvote 0

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
The backplate and cooler can be washed since there is no electronic parts on that and provided you let it dry completely.

Best to take the backplate out strip whatever you can clean it with some mild detergent to get the sticky sauce out then dry and use only Isopropyl alcohol to clean
the card itself if it has any sauce on it.

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Cleo

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 25, 2020
Hello Cleo :)

Washing in the sink, clearly not! Computer components do not like water at all.
You should already unscrew the heatsink to see if there is sauce or cat food in it and try to clean it.
But if nothing after all that..... RIP RTX 2080 :/

By the way, how did cat food get into the graphics card?
The tower was under a desk and someone left a half empty cat food sachet there that got knocked over unnoticed. The tower has an airflow mesh on the top so the sauce went through.
It was a very nice system too which is a shame. i9-9900KS, Optane, Samsung B-die's. I noticed that I can order the new Intel pumkin GPU for about $220AUD at JD and some base model RX 6700 XT's are down at $599AUD. As long as it can play Genshin Impact right now my nieces won't even notice. I could get a new Inno3D 1660Ti for $289AUD too. I'll get to work on the RTX2080 after my exams. I don't want to stress over it right now. Thanks for the tips. I'll order that solvent that The_King mentioned.

Upvote 0

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
I'll order that solvent that The_King mentioned.
Try to get 99% IPA

Using IPA 99% On Computers
IPA 99% is safe and effective for consumer use to clean personal computers and electronic devices. Isopropyl Alcohol 99% is the best substance to use for this purpose. Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol 91% may also be effective, but it is best to use the purest IPA available
This video should be useful.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.