Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
PROGRAM INFO

The application can be used on Windows 8+. New ver. 5.0.1.1 available (updated in January 2024).
GitHub - AndyFul/Run-By-Smartscreen

Run By Smartscreen' is a very simple idea to safely open/run the new files via the option on the Explorer right-click context menu. 'Run By Smartscreen' can mark files with MOTW, so they are treated as downloaded from the Internet. This forces the SmartScreen before running the executable with MOTW. Furthermore, the popular documents marked with MOTW will be opened in 'Protected View', if the document application has such ability (like MS Office 2010+ and Adobe Acrobat Reader 10+). Many file types with unsafe extensions will be blocked when 'Run By Smartscreen' to minimize the chances of infection.​

Why the SmartScreen?
The Windows built-in SmartScreen technology is one of the best for fighting 0-day malware files.

Why 'Run By SmartScreen'?
This technology is only halfway adopted in Windows. SmartScreen for Explorer can check executables with the "Mark of the Web", which is attached to files after downloading from the Internet by popular Web Browsers, Windows Store, or Windows OneDrive. There are many cases when files do not have the "Mark of the Web" and then, they are simply ignored by SmartScreen.​

More info:
https://github.com/AndyFul/Run-By-Smartscreen

Last edited:
W

Wave

...in the User Space...which folders are that (C:\Users)?
I think he was just differentiating between the protected directories (e.g. Windows folder, Program Files) to the default unprotected folders (such as Documents, Desktop, Pictures) which can be accessed from a non-elevated process. :)

User Space = everything outside 'C:\Windows', 'C:\Program Files', and 'C:\Program Files (x86)' folders.:)
Sorry, I didn't see this response before I replied to @Av Gurus... Oops!

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
If you have 64Bit Windows, you have to copy RunBySmartscreen(x64).exe to C:\Windows and run this file with 'Run As Administrator'. After that the 'Run By Smartscreen' option should be seen in Explorer context menu.

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
The User Space is adopted from AppGuard:
"User-space refers to the computer storage space that is typically accessible by non-admin Windows users. It contains the user's profile directory (which includes the My Documents folder and Desktop), removable storage devices, network shares, and all non-system hard drives such as additional external and internal disk drives. AppGuard will either block or protect the execution of any programs contained in user-space directories. "

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Now is working OK.
But, every time i click "Run by SmartScan" I have to choose app to open .exe?

1.jpg 2.jpg Clipboard18.jpg Clipboard19.jpg

W

Wave

The User Space is adopted from AppGuard:
"User-space refers to the computer storage space that is typically accessible by non-admin Windows users. It contains the user's profile directory (which includes the My Documents folder and Desktop), removable storage devices, network shares, and all non-system hard drives such as additional external and internal disk drives. AppGuard will either block or protect the execution of any programs contained in user-space directories. "
That explains why I am not familiar with it then, since I normally just explain that term regarding non-admin users accessing non-protected directories as opposed to using the term "User Space" for folders... Thanks :)

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Last edited:

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.