Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Samsung has announced (opens in new tab)its first OLED gaming monitor, which will be unveiled at the IFA 2022 show in Berlin on Sept. 2. The new Samsung Odyssey OLED G8 Gaming Monitor (G85SB) is a curved ultra-thin 34-inch monitor with a 21:9 aspect ratio and a 3,440 x 1,440 resolution.

We don't have the full specs yet, but Samsung highlighted some of the more exciting aspects of the monitor, including a 175 Hz max refresh rate, a 0.1ms response rate, and a thickness of just 3.9mm (0.15 inches) at its thinnest part. The monitor is also VESA DisplayHDR 400 True Black certified and covers 99.3% of the DCI-P3 color gamut.

The 34-inch curved panel has 1800R curvature and mixes Quantum Dot (QD) and OLED technology for ultra-vivid color, as well as the fast image response and dense, dark black for which OLED technology is renowned. Samsung quotes the Odyssey OLED G8's contrast ratio as 1,000,000:1, thanks to the individual pixel lighting characteristics of OLED displays. Samsung reframes this statistic by calling it a "near-infinite" contrast ratio.

US6TvtsZGTkXSxSkQSk5U8-970-80.jpg

(Image credit: Samsung)​

TedCruz

Level 5
Aug 19, 2022
I personally LOVE LOVE my LG C1 OLED and my older CX model. I recall the time when wife and I were watching the white walker's final battle in the Game of Thrones and seeing all those white walkers in the dark. Then I took to Social media to rave about the battle scene, just to discover folks being annoyed and pissed off that they couldn't see anything. It's at that point that I realized, how good of a purchase my OLED was.

I was coming from Panasonic Plasma, so I wanted something with as good of a quality, OLED was the ticket.

My only worry is the image retention. That will be a nice test if the Neo Panel tech investment was worth it's salt. Also, for those who are into purchasing an OLED panel for your home, make sure to get sufficient ventilation around the panel. Do not stick into a cubby and expect it to last a decade. OLED decays faster when it's very hot, and you can tell if your TV is getting hot by a gradual decrease in brightness.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I personally LOVE LOVE my LG C1 OLED and my older CX model. I recall the time when wife and I were watching the white walker's final battle in the Game of Thrones and seeing all those white walkers in the dark. Then I took to Social media to rave about the battle scene, just to discover folks being annoyed and pissed off that they couldn't see anything. It's at that point that I realized, how good of a purchase my OLED was.

I was coming from Panasonic Plasma, so I wanted something with as good of a quality, OLED was the ticket.

My only worry is the image retention. That will be a nice test if the Neo Panel tech investment was worth it's salt. Also, for those who are into purchasing an OLED panel for your home, make sure to get sufficient ventilation around the panel. Do not stick into a cubby and expect it to last a decade. OLED decays faster when it's very hot, and you can tell if your TV is getting hot by a gradual decrease in brightness.
I was reading this article right up until I saw your post.:)

TedCruz

Level 5
Aug 19, 2022
I was reading this article right up until I saw your post.:)
Honestly, when I heard of LG C2 coming out and then the news that every 2022 made C1 OLED 77" was running the new Neo C2 Panel, then my mind to purchase a 2nd OLED was made up. The only difference between C1 and C2 was a bit faster CPU that allowed more apps to be run on the TV, something that I was not interested in since most of my streaming apps are running off my UHD Player mainly due to Dolby Vision capability. So I waited on Costco to drop prices and place * next to the TV price tag (meaning last models).
As soon as they dropped the price of 77" C1 to $1900 along with 5-year extended warranty I jumped on it. I rented a Uhaul truck, drove to my local Costco and took the 1 of the last 2 that ware on the floor.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.