Q&A Sandboxie and RDP

Trooper

Level 16
Thread author
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
Hi folks,

Was a long time user of Sandboxie many years ago. Want to add it back to my arsenal if at all possible. I just downloaded the latest version 1.0.20. I wanted to run RDP in a sandbox. I am running Windows 11 Enterprise and I would like to run RDP sessions in a Sandbox. I recall years ago just adding %windir%\system32\mstsc.exe into Forced Programs and it would work. I just tried that today and it does not seem to be working.

The below is what I am seeing.

Please let me know if this is still possible and what I am missing. Thanks!
1651699971229.png

Last edited by a moderator:

plat

Level 27
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2018
Try opening the Classic UI-- C:\Program Files\Sandboxie Plus --scroll to SbieCtrl.exe and double-click. There you can add it under Program Start/Forced Programs like you used to. When the Classic UI opens in the system icon tray area, right-click on the icon, then left-click on Show Window, then right-click on Default Box (or whatever box you're using) and click "Sandbox Settings" in the little menu there.

If you're mainly using Plus, I would then exit out of the Classic UI if you don't need it anymore. I found by way of the learning curve that some things like adding to the browser template ( like access to cookies, bookmarks, etc) is best done within the Classic UI

Trooper

Level 16
Thread author
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
Thanks to you both. I will check this out tomorrow when I am back in the office. @bjm_ Looks as if you are using Sandboxie with Edge? Any issues doing that? I always thought it worked best with Firefox. Times have changed I see. :)

bjm_

Level 13
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
Plus installer installs Plus & Classic shared components to Sandboxie-Plus folder.
Classic installer installs Classic components to Sandboxie folder.

• +Reputation
Reactions: plat and Trooper

Trooper

Level 16
Thread author
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
Plus installer installs Plus & Classic shared components to Sandboxie-Plus folder.
Classic installer installs Classic components to Sandboxie folder.

Thanks again. Appreciate the help!

Trooper

Level 16
Thread author
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
Tried what you guys said, but still getting the CredentialBroker.exe error. Any ideas?

bjm_

Level 13
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
Tried what you guys said, but still getting the CredentialBroker.exe error. Any ideas?
Curious, what security program/s?
Can you launch browser/s?
Did you make any changes to [DefaultBox] settings?
Are you using Windows Sandbox?
Hopefully, DavidXanatos will chime in over on Wilders.

Last edited:

Trooper

Level 16
Thread author
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
Curious, what security program/s?
Can you launch browser/s?
Did you make any changes to [DefaultBox] settings?
Hopefully, DavidXanatos will chime in over on Wilders.

ESET ENDPOINT Security.

Did not try to Sandbox a browser yet.
No I actually just created a new one. Maybe I will try DefaultBox and see how that goes.
Yes, hopefully he does. Thanks.