XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
If the test was performed by simply running a Ransomware executable from a USB drive or somewhere else on the computer, of course it will not block it. SBGuard does not work that way. It blocks the execution and payload delivery via internet or email. 99% of Ransomware is delivered this way and SBGuard will block any attempt to execute it.
Just making sure we are on the same page on the expectations.

Please let us know as we are very curious about this.

Thanks
This method reminds me of Avast's current Cybercapture. :)

If that is the case, then SBGuard only looks into browsers and email clients, and not as a system-wide watch. Am I correct?

SBGuard

From SBGuard
Verified
Aug 31, 2016
Sorry XhenEd, I may have not explain it right. Let's start from the beggining.
Example.
User gets a phishing email. Clicks on the link which takes it to a web page where javascript (for example) deploys an executable onto users computer.
These executables can be various file types. For example exe, com, cmd, bat, js, jse, scr etc.. These files get deployed on users computer and once automatically executed, they will deploy Ransomware.
SBGuard injects rules into Windows that prevent above and similar files from executing and delivering Ransomware. Now, you can't just disable those extensions, you need to target locations from where these files can execute. For example, most of them like to do it from %TEMP% or %APPDATA%. These are just 2 examples, we have included around 700 possible locations and file types combinations. Once the payload is blocked by SBGuard rules, computer's antivirus should pickup this behavior and quarantine it.
The above is protection against delivery, there are other rules included that block creation of certain files completely, disabling certain processes used by Ransomware etc.
Hope this makes more sense :)

SBGuard

From SBGuard
Verified
Aug 31, 2016

If that is the case, then SBGuard only looks into browsers and email clients, and not as a system-wide watch. Am I correct?

NewSorry XhenEd, I may have not explain it right. Let's start from the beggining.
Example.
User gets a phishing email. Clicks on the link which takes it to a web page where javascript (for example) deploys an executable onto users computer.
These executables can be various file types. For example exe, com, cmd, bat, js, jse, scr etc.. These files get deployed on users computer and once automatically executed, they will deploy Ransomware.
SBGuard injects rules into Windows that prevent above and similar files from executing and delivering Ransomware. Now, you can't just disable those extensions, you need to target locations from where these files can execute. For example, most of them like to do it from %TEMP% or %APPDATA%. These are just 2 examples, we have included around 700 possible locations and file types combinations. Once the payload is blocked by SBGuard rules, computer's antivirus should pickup this behavior and quarantine it.
The above is protection against delivery, there are other rules included that block creation of certain files completely, disabling certain processes used by Ransomware etc.
Hope this makes more sense

Reactions: DardiM and XhenEd

SBGuard

From SBGuard
Verified
Aug 31, 2016

Another useful feature is that it won't allow fake extensions anywhere on the system.
If users was to get a PDF file that is actually an executable, it won't open. File types like jpg.exe or doc.exe etc. which are very often used by Ransomware are also blocked. There are thousands of lines of code that block every possible scenario.

SBGuard

From SBGuard
Verified
Aug 31, 2016

We don't deny that Ransomware will change, but for as long as the delivery is done the same, SBGuard will block it. And at the moment, Ransomware's power lies into it's sophisticated delivery. We a part of CLOUDSEC 2016 yesterday which confirms everything we have said here. 99% of Ransomware delivery is via email. There is nothing new about it.

I'll stop spamming now :) any questions please let us know.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
We don't deny that Ransomware will change, but for as long as the delivery is done the same, SBGuard will block it. And at the moment, Ransomware's power lies into it's sophisticated delivery. We a part of CLOUDSEC 2016 yesterday which confirms everything we have said here. 99% of Ransomware delivery is via email. There is nothing new about it.

I'll stop spamming now :) any questions please let us know.
I really like the sound of it.
I am looking forward to a version that allows you to monitor and unblock unwanted actions, because I have certain software that likes to execute from TEMP, and this looks mighty suspicious to many security solutions.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Here are just some picture of couple reg changes (not all):

Clipboard01.jpg Clipboard02.jpg Clipboard03.jpg Clipboard04.jpg Clipboard05.jpg Clipboard06.jpg Clipboard07.jpg Clipboard08.jpg Clipboard09.jpg Clipboard10.jpg Clipboard11.jpg Clipboard12.jpg

SBGuard

From SBGuard
Verified
Aug 31, 2016
Zepto likes to use WSF extensions for example, which we have included as well. There are a lot more reg addons in different locations that do different things with system processes.

SBGuard

From SBGuard
Verified
Aug 31, 2016
Version 1.4 beta available for download.
If anyone is interested to have a look at and play with version 1.4 beta you can download it here:
www.sydneybackups.com.au/downloads/sbguard-1-4-beta/SBGuardsetup1_4_beta.exe

We have added bunch of new restrictions and changes to existing ones. Also added some requested features.
Application is still not operating as a service, that is coming in next version, 1.5

sbguard_1_4_beta.jpg

Feedback and ideas are welcom for which you will be included in contributors list.
sbguard@sydneybackups.com.au

Cheers

Av Gurus

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Version 1.4 beta available for download.
If anyone is interested to have a look at and play with version 1.4 beta you can download it here:
www.sydneybackups.com.au/downloads/sbguard-1-4-beta/SBGuardsetup1_4_beta.exe

We have added bunch of new restrictions and changes to existing ones. Also added some requested features.
Application is still not operating as a service, that is coming in next version, 1.5

sbguard_1_4_beta.jpg

Feedback and ideas are welcom for which you will be included in contributors list.
sbguard@sydneybackups.com.au

Cheers
Good news.
Why do you want to have services?
Isn't this only Reg tweak?
I like it without any new services in the background.

SBGuard

From SBGuard
Verified
Aug 31, 2016
Good news.
Why do you want to have services?
Isn't this only Reg tweak?
I like it without any new services in the background.
At the moment it is only based on reg tweaks, however we are working on some new techniques that will require a service.
It will be optional though, nothing will install automatically.
One of the features we are working on is to create a layer between Windows and potential Ransomware behaviour, to trick it into thinking the computer location and language is Russian. A large number of Ransowmare families leaves the computer alone if it detects Russian language, pretty funny but true. For this type of algorithm and behaviour detection we need to run as a service.
Another feature coming is Panic mode. It's a watchdog type feature that monitors large quantities of file type changes (encryption) and once it does, it will isolate the computer from the network. It needs a service for that too.
There are other features we are working on, but will reveal some when ready.

Anyhow, it will all be optional.
We are also thinking of making this a community project, to heavily involve people to do research, testing, coding etc. and we would make a contributors list on the application.

:)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well programs like these may hold pretty good against tricky behavior of ransomware but it should not put everything blame on developers.

Ransomware from now have changes a lot of behavior and it can hold trick to bypass software programs by imitate as legitimate process.

So not surprise when SBguard may able to detect some threat of ransomware but not majority since techniques are difficult to obtain.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
@SBGuard
Please keep the Update notices coming to this thread weather they are Beta or not as I
like to keep mine updated as soon as humanly possible.
I have cloned HD's so running betas is not a risk that worries me. Thanks SBGuard.
Nice changes in 1.4.0, very nice.
PS: yep that's your logo in my Sig :p
(SBG Sig Bar courtesy of Huracan)

Last edited:

SBGuard

From SBGuard
Verified
Aug 31, 2016
@SBGuard
Please keep the Update notices coming to this thread weather they are Beta or not as I
like to keep mine updated as soon as humanly possible.
I have cloned HD's so running betas is not a risk that worries me. Thanks SBGuard.
Nice changes in 1.4.0, very nice.
PS: yep that's your logo in my Sig :p
(SBG Sig Bar courtesy of Huracan)
No worries, will keep you guys updated here, but it would be good to subscribe on our website as we will be sending official changelogs, update info, works in progress etc. (no spam though, we hate spam)..
Sorry mate I can't see your Sig anywhere? Where do I click? Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.