Advice Request SD causing slow system shutdown and start up issues

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I was trial testing the latest version of SD (with default settings) on my MS SP4 tablet with Win 10 Pro 64-bit and FCU installed. Nothing on SD exclusion list

The security software I have include

1) Webroot SecureAnywhere AV (WSA AV) - The reason I chose this is because it's sig-less and offers online/offline real-time protection
2) SuperAntiSpware Pro - As a small complement to WSA AV for real-time online/offline protection. I have the paid version so might as well use it.
3) FortKnox Personal Firewall
4) AdGuard for Desktop
5) Running ProtonVPN

I disabled Windows Defender and the default Windows Firewall

Before installing SD my system can boot up/shut down fast and running other software without issues

After installing SD shut down takes a loooooooooooong time and many times I need to hard reset to shut it down. Start up also has problem and I need to access the boot up screen before it can properly start up. Sometimes Chrome browser cannot open despite it running in Task Manager. MCShied seems to clash with SD and I need to uninstall the former to avoid this issue. I usually 'Exit SD on shut down'. Once I tried 'Start SD on Boot' and my system took a long time to start up.

After uninstalling SD my system is now back to normal without the mentioned issues

I read from the net that using virtualization software can cause long shut down and start up issues

Anyone faced these issues?

Thanks

Last edited:

Anubis

Level 1
Verified
Apr 7, 2017
Is the Surface also sluggish when you run VMWare or VirtualBox? If the system slows down to a crawl while running a VM, it could be that your system and the VM are fighting for resources, which is something you don't want. Install SD verify with Run > msinfo32 or CMD > systeminfo that hardware virtualization is enabled for your device.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Is the Surface also sluggish when you run VMWare or VirtualBox? If the system slows down to a crawl while running a VM, it could be that your system and the VM are fighting for resources, which is something you don't want. Install SD verify with Run > msinfo32 or CMD > systeminfo that hardware virtualization is enabled for your device.
BTW, I'm not running VMWare or VB.

Just checked (without SD installed) CMD => systeminfo that under Hyper-V requirements virtualization is enabled in firmware which means when having SD installed the virtualization should also be enabled in firmware for I did not change anything

Or should I install SD to verify?

Thanks

Last edited:

Anubis

Level 1
Verified
Apr 7, 2017
Yes, that's why I mentioned that you could test with a VM to see if it will slow down in that case, too. What does your msinfo32 say for virtualization?

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Yes, that's why I mentioned that you could test with a VM to see if it will slow down in that case, too. What does your msinfo32 say for virtualization?
As above in post #3

Anubis

Level 1
Verified
Apr 7, 2017
Just checked (without SD installed) CMD => systeminfo that under Hyper-V requirements that virtualization is enabled in firmware which means when having SD installed the virtualization is also enabled in firmware for I did not change anything

Or should I install SD to verify?

That's correct. Virtualization is usually enabled by default in Surface 3/4 UEFI, but I was wondering if for some reason it wasn't.

If I understand correctly, you have various security products (and real-time protection) loaded in your system. Did you try running SD on its own, meaning without or by first disabling as startup items and in services the other security products?

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
That's correct. Virtualization is usually enabled by default in Surface 3/4 UEFI, but I was wondering if for some reason it wasn't.

If I understand correctly, you have various security products (and real-time protection) loaded in your system. Did you try running SD on its own, meaning without or by first disabling as startup items and in services the other security products?
Nope. The real-time security software I have already listed in the starting post and the rest are on-demand scanners. That would mean reformat my SSD with a clean start up. I can consider this option the next time I do that

Anubis

Level 1
Verified
Apr 7, 2017
Well, you could disable real-time protections and related services, and install SD to test it. I believe that to narrow it down (and if you are willing and have the time to), you might need to run SD on its own first, to test if something else is getting in the way or if it slows down the system even when running on its own. Or... you could leave things as they are, install SD, and verify that its virtualization is actually running in hardware.

Reactions: HarborFront

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
The conflict is likely between Shadow Defender and Webroot.
Ok, I'll uninstall webroot and try again with SD. Do you know whether SD has a list of apps having conflict with it like SBIE?

Thanks

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Replaced WSA AV with ESET AV and now SD seems to perform normally. Excluded two (2) ESET folders in SD.

Still testing and if ok then will consider buying it.

:)

Reactions: frogboy and Anubis

Replaced WSA AV with ESET AV and now SD seems to perform normally. Excluded two (2) ESET folders in SD.

Still testing and if ok then will consider buying it.

I told you it was Webroot. Webroot and SD do not get along, but if you ask Webroot, they will tell you WSA and SD are fully compatible.

I probably reported the incompatibility 10 times a few years ago. All I got were denials - despite submitting video documentation.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Ok, so the new security set up for my MS SP4 is

1) ESET AV
2) SuperAntiSpware Pro - As a small complement to ESET AV for real-time online/offline protection. I have the paid version so might as well use it.
3) FortKnox Personal Firewall
4) ProtonVPN
5) VS
6) SD

Will monitor for issues with SD before proceeding to next set up of SD with my MS SP3

Last edited:
Reactions: Anubis

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Ok, I think there're some problems with SD

First Test

When I enter Shadow Mode it asked

1) Enter Shadow Mode on Boot
2) Exit Shadow Mode on Shutdown

I chose the 2nd option

I surfed the net for a while and then shut down the system

When I reboot I can see Shadow Mode on my desktop

Am I correctly shutting down Shadow Mode?

Next, I did another restart of my system and this time Shadow Mode is gone from my desktop

2nd Test

Following up

I enter Shadow Mode again, chose 'Exit Shadow Mode on Shutdown', surf the net and then select 'Exit Shadow Mode' and it asked

1) Discard all changes except Exclusion List (Recommended)
2) Commit all changes

I chose option 1) and 'Reboot or shutdown later' and guess what?

The wording 'Shadow Mode' is still there on my desktop

I also tried 'Exit All Shadow Modes' and 'Reboot or shutdown later' and the same 'Shadow Mode' wording still remain on my desktop

In these 2 cases is Shadow Mode still on? Since I have exited Shadow Mode why the wording 'Shadow Mode' still appear on my desktop?

After these 2 cases I restarted my system and the wording 'Shadow Mode' is no longer on my desktop

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Did you fully shutdown or rebooted?
Afaik, there's an issue with Fast Boot and SD. Disable Fast Boot first then try again one shutdown and one restart.
Just checked my Shut-down settings. My Fast Start Up is disabled

Edit:- Error on my part in not disabling Fast Start Up. Disabled as per below post

Last edited:
Reactions: vtqhtr413
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.