Advice Request SD causing slow system shutdown and start up issues

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
When using fast startup, the pc does not shut down when clicking shut down. Instead it hibernates so that booting up is faster. It appears you can run shutdown.exe to bypass fast boot mode if you do not want to turn fast boot off.
A restart however brings your pc up form a shut down state. I have always exited on all shadow modes and used to reboot. Any way try the shutdown ( shutdown.exe ) command and see if you are out of shadow mode when booting up the way you are trying to do it.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
When using fast startup, the pc does not shut down when clicking shut down. Instead it hibernates so that booting up is faster. It appears you can run shutdown.exe to bypass fast boot mode if you do not want to turn fast boot off.
A restart however brings your pc up form a shut down state. I have always exited on all shadow modes and used to reboot. Any way try the shutdown ( shutdown.exe ) command and see if you are out of shadow mode when booting up the way you are trying to do it.
Thanks for the explanation. After a restart(aka reboot) the Shadow Mode is gone from my desktop.

Sorry, I made a mistake. My Fast Start Up wasn't disabled previously. Now I have it disabled and shut down removes Shadow Mode on next start up.

NO issue with SD for my 1st Test

How about my

2nd Test

Following up

I enter Shadow Mode again, chose 'Exit Shadow Mode on Shutdown', surf the net and then select 'Exit Shadow Mode' and it asked

1) Discard all changes except Exclusion List (Recommended)
2) Commit all changes

I chose option 1) and 'Reboot or shutdown later' and guess what?

The wording 'Shadow Mode' is still there on my desktop

I also tried 'Exit All Shadow Modes' and 'Reboot or shutdown later' and the same 'Shadow Mode' wording still remain on my desktop

In these 2 cases is Shadow Mode still on? Since I have exited Shadow Mode why the wording 'Shadow Mode' still appear on my desktop?

After these 2 cases I restarted my system and the wording 'Shadow Mode' is no longer on my desktop

So is it possible to exit Shadow Mode without a restart(reboot)?

Thanks again

Last edited:

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
No...it's one way to enter real system - reboot. No other possibilities.

Reactions: HarborFront

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
No...it's one way to enter real system - reboot. No other possibilities.
Then what is this feature for?

When you 'Exit Shadow Mode' and it asked

1) Discard all changes except Exclusion List (Recommended)
2) Commit all changes

and 'Reboot or shutdown later'

If you terminate SD from the Task Manager will SD be terminated with no Shadow Mode?

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
Exclusion list - the list of areas (file/folders/registry) that are out of protection of Shadow Mode...they are just part of real system/disk no matter if your system/disks are or not virtualised. The changes in excluded areas are automaticaly edited/saved...you have to do nothing.
Commit now - list or command to save every changes while exiting from SM to real system..."Commit now list" (standalone module) - before you exit to real system you have to manualy save the changes in listed location and only these changes are saved..."commit changes" from mouse menu over disk/file - changes in such folders/disk are saved..."commit all changes" - no matter where (except exluded loctaion) all changes are saved.
Termination of SD process do nothing what means that you are still in SM - SD's service is still active and file diskpt0.sys created in system disk (usualy C) in such mode still exists...it will be automaticaly deleted after reboot.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
When using the Commit feature, please remember not using it for the folders with many files (like Windows, Program Files, etc.).

Ok, I'll uninstall webroot and try again with SD. Do you know whether SD has a list of apps having conflict with it like SBIE?

Thanks

Not really.

Perhaps SDMOD over at Wilders might keep a mental list. He has been the unofficial SD Moderator for Tony (the developer) since the beginning. SDMOD acts as a go between for Tony and everybody else on the forums. Tony is somewhere in China.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.